RMweb - Change of hosting, missing images - April 2022

• RMweb Premium

I re-uploaded some images on 3 April; today, I have realised the images are missing again:

111588796_Screenshot2022-04-2008_11_24.png.54afc617273c00dece1071eb4cadb632.png

This is a popular topic (7,000+ views is popular for British H0) and it needs these images to make sense.

Is the dropping of newly-uploaded images expected during the continuing rebuilding of the site? So I can decide whether to continue trying to use the site or perhaps give it a break until we learn the rebuilding is complete.

- Richard.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, 47137 said:

I re-uploaded some images on 3 April; today, I have realised the images are missing again:

111588796_Screenshot2022-04-2008_11_24.png.54afc617273c00dece1071eb4cadb632.png

This is a popular topic (7,000+ views is popular for British H0) and it needs these images to make sense.

Is the dropping of newly-uploaded images expected during the continuing rebuilding of the site? So I can decide whether to continue trying to use the site or perhaps give it a break until we learn the rebuilding is complete.

- Richard.

Once again, read what the Mods are saying. e.g. Martin, just 2 posts above yours.

In haven't touch my early posts (pre june21) and wont until we are given the all clear

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
Just now, melmerby said:

Once again, read what the Mods are saying. e.g. Martin, just 2 posts above yours.

Eh?

I do not understand what Martin has written, let alone how it relates to my own images put back and then lost again.

- Richard.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, melmerby said:

In haven't touch my early posts (pre june21) and wont until we are given the all clear

Now you have edited your post, you still haven't answered my question but it seems simply sought to humiliate me - and failed.

I repeat: Is the dropping of newly-uploaded images expected during the continuing rebuilding of the site?

If you do not know the answer then I suggest you wait for someone who does know to post an answer.

- Richard.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
59 minutes ago, 47137 said:

Is the dropping of newly-uploaded images expected during the continuing rebuilding of the site?

Being an impatient sort myself, I uploaded my missing images on April 11 and they are all still there.

The images were uploaded from my backup, placed in the relevant posts and the old photo links deleted. When I view my topics, it's interesting to note that the few photos that were uneffected by the outage appear first as 'flashing' blue boxes and then show a few seconds later.

I 'only' had 300 photos to replace, but people with more than that should probably take the advice to wait and be more patient.

David

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, 47137 said:

I do not understand what Martin has written, let alone how it relates to my own images put back and then lost again.

I think the key word in Martin's post is "wait". But I don't think putting images from July 2021 back now is effort wasted, is it? They will reappear in the fullness of time...

Patience, we are told, is a virtue:

AKG8368856.jpg

This young lady has been waiting since 1647. [Embedded link.]

• Like 8

• Administrators
15 minutes ago, Ray H said:

Any Silver update yet Andy?

I'm heading into a meeting later this morning for an update!

• Thanks 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• Administrators
24 minutes ago, 47137 said:

I repeat: Is the dropping of newly-uploaded images expected during the continuing rebuilding of the site?

I will be discussing this with the hosts but it can happen as sites rebuild. It's a bit like crossing this with defragging a disk.

But slower.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 47137 said:

I suppose, there might be two categories of newly-uploaded images. Those images included in new posts, and those uploaded into old posts.

If only one category is currently susceptible to fresh loss, this would be good to know.

Meanwhile, I do not feel remotely patient. I know I should be but I fear I really want a managerial answer (when = a date) and not an engineering answer (when = after the process has completed). This is bad for me. I have a brand new Weller iron arrived in the post and it would be best for me to do something constructive of my own and let those who are rebuilding the site do their thing in peace.

- Richard.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I've just finished uploading my American photos thread back to June 2021.  All of those are still there, nearly 2000 of them.   By chance I checked the early ones from late May 2021 and one post had the images uploaded but not inserted into the body of the post.  All the others seem to be OK.

Still got about 120 assorted other photos to reload.  Keep up the good work Andy, it's mush appreciated.  If I get impatient at least the Cognac is cheap down here.

Jamie

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm not a mod, except on the Templot section, just an ordinary member here.

Those who were paying attention will remember 2 events:

A long outage for several days, starting in late March. At that time all images which had been uploaded since May 31st 2021 until the outage occurred were permanently lost.

A short outage lasting a few hours, a few days later. At that time the sub-domain containing the images was changed from content.invisioncic.com to content-eu.invisioncic.com for reasons known only to Invision, probably related to the massive size of the data.

The consequence of that is that all images which had been re-indexed during the first outage, or uploaded subsequently, now have to be re-indexed again. That work is ongoing.

If you re-uploaded images between the first outage and the second, which now seem to have gone missing yet again, they almost certainly have not. They will reappear in due course.

Any images uploaded now will not be lost, but they may disappear for a short while, before reappearing.

Invision have a massive task on their hands getting the entire site back fully working again, after the previous hosting provider wrecked it and very nearly lost the whole lot. All we can do is wait.

Martin.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Ummmm hy Martin have you noticed the addition to your "Tree" is a little badge, just under your name which says you are a Moderator if you hover over it.

A question.   Since the event you stated in your last post I seem to be stagnant  with no recovery action occurring yet.

Nothing has changed for me since the 2 events you list above.  I have added some photos post 31st May 2021 which are still there.

I also have some random photos pre this date that were there the first time I opened my account after the 2 events .

I am continuing to wait but it would be most encouraging if I was seeing some photos arriving. 

I am seeing new posts by members but I'm wondering if my settings have got screwed in some way which is blocking any re-uploading of photos.

Or is it just as you say and I have to wait and all will sort itself out.

Best

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
Just now, Barnaby said:

Ummmm hy Martin have you noticed the addition to your "Tree" is a little badge, just under your name which says you are a Moderator if you hover over it.

A question.   Since the event you stated in your last post I seem to be stagnant  with no recovery action occurring yet.

Nothing has changed for me since the 2 events you list above.  I have added some photos post 31st May 2021 which are still there.

I also have some random photos pre this date that were there the first time I opened my account after the 2 events .

I am continuing to wait but it would be most encouraging if I was seeing some photos arriving. 

I am seeing new posts by members but I'm wondering if my settings have got screwed in some way which is blocking any re-uploading of photos.

Or is it just as you say and I have to wait and all will sort itself out.

Martin has already explained - please read before having a pop at him. He is a subforum moderator of one area. None of this is in Martin's control but he has been good enough to explain; please be good enough to read and also to wait (as has been said several times). The process is still going on and keep asking isn't going to speed it up.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 7

Hy Andy I'm not taking a pop at Martin but explaining why people might think he is a mod and yes I had read his explanation.

Best

Edited by Barnaby
  • Like 3

• Administrators
2 hours ago, 47137 said:

Meanwhile, I do not feel remotely patient. I know I should be but I fear I really want a managerial answer (when = a date) and not an engineering answer (when = after the process has completed). This is bad for me.

What you appear to want me to say makes me assume you want some flannel rather than an accurate answer. Management wise I could say it will be soon; the engineering answer is it's taking a lot longer than anticipated and the file structure, complexity, staggered pattern of population and rate of progress means we'll all just have to wait.

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

What you appear to want me to say makes me assume you want some flannel rather than an accurate answer. Management wise I could say it will be soon; the engineering answer is it's taking a lot longer than anticipated and the file structure, complexity, staggered pattern of population and rate of progress means we'll all just have to wait.

430438940_Screenshot2022-04-2014_17_03.png.a46bb29fe4c7c2d2f43459933d8167f8.png

No Andy I don't want flannel. At the moment I am looking at a banner telling me, a process may take several days; and the banner has been unchanged for a while.

I am posting here in the hope of finding out "when" - for example, maybe several weeks or months from now, or even a projected completion date. This would let me make an informed judgement whether to patch up some of my broken posts.

I understand and accept, you may not know the answer to this; and I'll look out for an updated banner when you can say more.

- Richard.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
1 minute ago, 47137 said:

I am posting here in the hope of finding out "when" - for example, maybe several weeks or months from now, or even a projected completion date.

I can't give you one. If you want to ask management they'll come and ask me (as they don't have magic wands either) and I'll tell them and they'll tell you. In the interests of efficiency I've short-circuited the process to give you as much as an answer as you'll get off anyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, 47137 said:

If you do not know the answer then I suggest you wait for someone who does know to post an answer.

I fear you might be swimming against the tide. A notable feature of this forum is that when someone asks a question, a load of people guess.

Hence it usually helps if you already know the answer, so you can more easily ignore all the incorrect ones.

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 5