RMweb - Change of hosting, missing images - April 2022

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, JeffP said:

Can someone point a computer illiterate in the right direction, please?

So far I can only find this thread, despite clicking on forums.

Am I missing something?

Just go to the top of the page, click on 'activity' (third left) then on the left 'my activity streams' and then select from the drop down box. I prefer 'threads that I have posted in'.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Your bling should be back now Keith!

Many thanks Andy, just noticed it when I posted on the Early Risers thread.

Thanks again for your help, very much appreciated.

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Its great to be back, and as everyone else has said, huge thanks to Andy and the team for their recent efforts in the face of disaster.  Can Andy stop tearing his hair out now?

Looking through my threads, it seems a small random selection of photos have reappeared, but I'll leave it a while before I think about any remedial action. 

My loco workbench is 78 pages over eleven years.  I know that pales into insignificance next to Wright Writes, but its a lot for me.

One odd thing, on the "unread content" page, under "ownership", nothing appears under "content I started", but its all there under "content I posted in".  So to find my own threads I have to go through my Profile pages.

Cheers, Dave.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very annoyed that I seem to have lost every photo I had posted all the way back to day one, what a mess.  I did think Andy had said it was only photos from this year that couldn't be seen.

Did I mis-understand what was said in that yes all photos except for those posted this year can be seen PROVIDING I re-load them back in.

I'm not sure I'm up for that as I was going to start a new forum topic on my new layout but wanted some assistance from the forum mods to copy some pages into my new topic to start the topic title running but was told it was too complicated and Andy was already trying to sort the server out AND take a holiday so was advised to cut and paste what I wanted.

Sadly kerrboom the server failed....................

As load every photo back in I think I may just start my new topic and leave the remnants floating in space as they now are.

Lesson learnt >>> make a back up of all my photos including sensible titles for easier location.

Make sure any server forum I visit has a good solid back up system that will recover all major work pertaining to any individuals use.   not sure how I can do that as I have always taken it that should be an industry standard for any business to run.

I used to run a system known as GRANDFATHER - FATHER - SON [GFS] on a monthly -weekly -daily cycle.  nb the monthly/weekly were stored off site the idea being the worse case would be 1 day info could be lost.

Ho hum

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

I did think Andy had said it was only photos from this year that couldn't be seen.

Reading from the beginning, Photo's uploaded in the last 12 months are lost as they weren't in the back up. Photo's uploaded before then, will no doubt reappear as the site is repopulated with data, we just have to be patient.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
57 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Very annoyed that I seem to have lost every photo I had posted all the way back to day one, what a mess.

I'm 'very annoyed' that you are having a pop when others clearly understand it will take a while for it all to get re-populated. Work is still progressing on various things but obviously we should drop everything to do your content first.

As for your second paragraph, have a word with yourself.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

Andy,

I've noticed that emojis aren't displaying correctly. Here's a sample of one of my old postings:

2022-04-04_203132.jpg.7f05583b44c3c878a2ed6758cb7b998f.jpg

And if I try to use the emoji dropdown I get this:

2022-04-04_202913.jpg.49af69060bc8243471b194da9efee68d.jpg

Is this something that'll 'fix itself over time' or is it something I have to change/alter at my end in the browser? It'd be nice to have the emojis back as they do 'break up' a posting nicely.

Ian

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, ISW said:

Andy,

I've noticed that emojis aren't displaying correctly. Here's a sample of one of my old postings:

2022-04-04_203132.jpg.7f05583b44c3c878a2ed6758cb7b998f.jpg

And if I try to use the emoji dropdown I get this:

2022-04-04_202913.jpg.49af69060bc8243471b194da9efee68d.jpg

Is this something that'll 'fix itself over time' or is it something I have to change/alter at my end in the browser? It'd be nice to have the emojis back as they do 'break up' a posting nicely.

Ian

I've noticed that even the 'new' emojis are not appearing though you can add them to a post they are gone when you go back to a post. Perhaps they could be put aside until the more important things are sorted.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Barnaby said:

Very annoyed that I seem to have lost every photo I had posted all the way back to day one, what a mess.  I did think Andy had said it was only photos from this year that couldn't be seen.

Did I mis-understand what was said in that yes all photos except for those posted this year can be seen PROVIDING I re-load them back in.

I'm not sure I'm up for that as I was going to start a new forum topic on my new layout but wanted some assistance from the forum mods to copy some pages into my new topic to start the topic title running but was told it was too complicated and Andy was already trying to sort the server out AND take a holiday so was advised to cut and paste what I wanted.

Sadly kerrboom the server failed....................

As load every photo back in I think I may just start my new topic and leave the remnants floating in space as they now are.

Lesson learnt >>> make a back up of all my photos including sensible titles for easier location.

Make sure any server forum I visit has a good solid back up system that will recover all major work pertaining to any individuals use.   not sure how I can do that as I have always taken it that should be an industry standard for any business to run.

I used to run a system known as GRANDFATHER - FATHER - SON [GFS] on a monthly -weekly -daily cycle.  nb the monthly/weekly were stored off site the idea being the worse case would be 1 day info could be lost.

Ho hum

This post seems a little hypocritical, you are complaining that the back up options failed, but at the same time admit you have not done that yourself for your own material. 

Andy and the team supporting him in this site restoration have done a fantastic job to get where they have. From what has been openly posted about things that were not right I suspect most of the iceberg is below the public disclosure line and was a total b***s-up.

• Like 5
  • Agree 6
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

🥦

Ah yes, I see where you are coming from.

Actually, I find myself quite liking the stuff these days - don't know what my world's coming too.

Mind you, Monsieur Woodentop did warn us about the dangers of root vegetables earlier in this thread, sage advice....

How lovely to be able to have these daft virtual conversations again.

Thank you for your second coming RMweb!

Simon

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ISW said:

Andy,

Thanks. I'll stop 'fiddling' unnecessarily with my browser settings!

Ian

Trillian: Hey, that sounds better! Have you managed to make some sense of the controls?

Ford: No, we just stopped fiddling with them.

• Like 5
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 6

Before the outage, when I visited the View New Content page I could scroll for ages through all the,... well,... 'new content'.

Now I get a 'Load more activity' every 25 entries.

Had I somehow managed to have some setting on the old system which got rid of the 'Load more activity' button and just gave me everything, or is this a new feature?

Thank you.

D

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Damo666 said:

Before the outage, when I visited the View New Content page I could scroll for ages through all the,... well,... 'new content'.

Now I get a 'Load more activity' every 25 entries.

Had I somehow managed to have some setting on the old system which got rid of the 'Load more activity' button and just gave me everything, or is this a new feature?

In my experience, the "Load more activity" button had always been there and until the crash it was often very slow to upload the next set of entries. However on a few odd occasions (usually when a Blog entry was the last item on the page) it would not load any more. In those cases a "refresh" of the page would go beyond the blockage and would sometimes give you everything since your last visit all in one go. All very odd and has happened once since we came back.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
13 minutes ago, Mike Bellamy said:

However on a few odd occasions (usually when a Blog entry was the last item on the page) it would not load any more. In those cases a "refresh" of the page would go beyond the blockage and would sometimes give you everything since your last visit all in one go.

It's a bug that still occurs when an earlier blog entry has been edited and happens to be last on the 'page'.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Thank you for your hard work in getting the site going again. Apologies if this has been noted but if you search for something on google and you get a link to the forum, when you click on the link you get a dead link and 'can not find that'.

So for example if I go on google and put in 'west coast sleeper formations' a whole load of rmweb topics appear, click on the link and I get 

Oops - Euston we have a problem.

The page you requested does not exist

Error code: 1S160/2

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90094-cornish-sleeper-trains-in-the-80s/

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Morello Cherry said:

Thank you for your hard work in getting the site going again. Apologies if this has been noted but if you search for something on google and you get a link to the forum, when you click on the link you get a dead link and 'can not find that'.

So for example if I go on google and put in 'west coast sleeper formations' a whole load of rmweb topics appear, click on the link and I get 

Oops - Euston we have a problem.

The page you requested does not exist

Error code: 1S160/2

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/90094-cornish-sleeper-trains-in-the-80s/

I would imagine that it is to do with the new hosting.

If you edit the URL by taking out the word "community" the link should work.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/index.php?/topic/90094-cornish-sleeper-trains-in-the-80s/

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I think it is possibly too early to conclude anything about the old urls. Many/most do result in 'Oops - Euston we have a problem', but others seem to be redirecting to the new form, i.e. without community/index.php?/ , so something is going on in the engine room. We'll need to await a sitrep from Mr Y.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Just a quick update on the missing images. I've got several thousand on 256 pages in my attachments. I'm gradually reloading some of the post June 2021 ones but have started keeping an eye on the earlier pages. These are partially populated but it seems to be in month blocks. May from one year, April from another and also a November.  Until today I haven't been taking any particular notice of which blocks hav appeared but will start doing that to monitor it.   Fortunately, as mentioed by someone else, I kept the filenames when I posted so have a good idea where the originals are in most cases.

Thanks to Andy and the team for all the hard work. It is much appreciated.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Just a quick update on the missing images. I've got several thousand on 256 pages in my attachments. I'm gradually reloading some of the post June 2021 ones but have started keeping an eye on the earlier pages. These are partially populated but it seems to be in month blocks. May from o e yezr, April from another and also a November.  Until today I haven't been taking any particular notice of whicj blocks hav appeared but will start doing that to monitor it.   Fortunately, as mentioed by someone else, I kept the filenames when I posted so have a good idea where the originals are in most cases.

Thanks to Andy and the team for all the hard work. It is much appreciated.

Jamie

Next on Andy's list, is to turn the spill chucker back on!

😉

• Funny 8