RMweb - Change of hosting, missing images - April 2022

• RMweb Gold
On 01/04/2022 at 13:24, Miss Prism said:

Oh. That's a bit of a spanner in the works.

Andy - do you have a date more accurate than 'about a year ago' after which the lost images will not be shown?

I've had one from May 2021 reappear in my workshop thread along with a random smattering of others from earlier on. Given how much I update my thread, I'm happy to wait a good while longer before any "repairs" to missing pics, hopefully there won't be too many to do.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Something I've noticed in general browsing of the site, is that moving to new pages on threads takes me to the bottom of the page rather than the top when using Firefox. Chrome seems to play nicely in that respect though.

• Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Something I've noticed in general browsing of the site, is that moving to new pages on threads takes me to the bottom of the page rather than the top when using Firefox. Chrome seems to play nicely in that respect though.

Did before and still does sometimes, examples I’ve noticed are when clicking notifications.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
On 01/04/2022 at 16:57, rocor said:

I have looked at the images that have been saved in "my attachments", the only ones to appear are those that are prior to the first of June last year, most of those earlier than this are also non-visible, but those that do exhibit themselves, are in blocks of four to six that were originally posted in date order.

Unfortunately, I can not offer any explanation for this.  

The My Attachments is a tool I’ve just found. Like others I am noticing sporadic image population before 31st May 2021. I will try to reinstate anything post that date and see what occurs over the next few days with the older stuff.

Echoing all the same thanks as others for the work done by the behind the scenes team.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, john new said:

The My Attachments is a tool I’ve just found.

Most helpful.

It took me a while to find this useful function. For those who don't know how to find it, click on your Members button, top right and select from the Drop Down Menu.

I took some snapshots of the period in question, which at present is thinly repopulated in my case.

This Function is helpful in sorting out where the various Images are located, viz. Topics (my posts and references/replies to others), My Blog and my messages. That may prove useful IF a full recovery before May 2021 is not possible. I'm waiting until this becomes clear, hopefully sometime soon.

You can check each image, identify any which are missing and they can be reached individually by clicking on the link (RHS) to the post etc. This will short circuit scrolling thru vast amounts of posted material for the odd missing but important pic you wish to replace, should need arise.

889478983_MissingImagesDemo.jpg.b3ccfe2def4a3c0bb5c67d993a9f1a5f.jpg

The above is a sample from my list showing Posts (speech bubble)  and Blog entries (sheet) as icons. The last two photos missing at present - no thumbnail

Hope this helps.

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, 57xx said:

For me, this appears fixed this morning (in Firefox).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The My Attachments tool is indeed useful, and suggests that photos are missing on a month-by-month basis.

E.g., at time of writing all mine from May 2021, December 2020 and May 2020 are present, but everything in between is not. That pattern goes all the way back, e.g all of November 2010 is there but not October or December 2010.

Oddities are explained by photos being uploaded later during an edit, or linked in. (for example, when the ability to provide blog posts with header photos was turned on, some people went back to old posts and added these).

Edited by Mikkel
To clarify
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

very glad that it's back, Shame about the lost photos. And an even bigger shaqme that the VERY annoying non advertising videos are still on my tablet, meaning that it is almost impossible to read as the video takes up about 20% of the screen. Andy can anything be done about them??

• Friendly/supportive 1

• Administrators
6 minutes ago, westerner said:

Andy can anything be done about them??

I'm still on the case for a low-cost ad-free option for users and I'm due to have a meeting this week regarding introduction as soon as possible. It's been going on since last July for technical and administrative reasons.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Premium

The flashing non ad is particularly irritating on tablets because it takes up a much bigger proportion of the screen and also the X which appears on a computer screen to temporarily turn it off has gone missing from the tablet view. Some of these things flash so brightly and continuously as to make reading RMweb impossible on the tablet.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
On 31/03/2022 at 10:43, AY Mod said:

Other issues may be identified through the course of the coming days; your patience will be appreciated.

If you have set images such as thumbnails as hyperlinks (for example, in an illustrated index on a blog post), then the hyperlinks have been lost as well as the images.

I doubt if this will affect many users, but I mention it because I have just rebuilt an index page on my own blog.

For the record, I am so glad I never tried to rename images I posted on RMweb. The placeholders for the lost images show me the name of the file I need to find in my photo libraries.

- Richard.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

12 minutes ago, westerner said:

very glad that it's back, Shame about the lost photos. And an even bigger shaqme that the VERY annoying non advertising videos are still on my tablet, meaning that it is almost impossible to read as the video takes up about 20% of the screen. Andy can anything be done about them??

I have had the same problem on my iPad. However when I use Safari I can click shut the video ok it pops up when I change page but not a huge issue. If I use chrome on the tablet I cannot click the video so it stays. Also the video does not appear when I use my laptop.

Keith

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Tony Teague said:

For me, this appears fixed this morning (in Firefox).

So it is... and isn't. I'm getting a mix of some pages do and some don't. I'm now wondering if FF is doing something odd like remembering where you were last at on a page.

Edited by 57xx
speeling
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• Administrators

Another change made is, whilst on VNC or activity pages, clicking the topic title will take you to the first unread post rather than the start of the topic, rather than just the dot or star to the left of the topic title 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 6

• RMweb Premium

I've just checked the 'My Attachments' section for me, and there's a lot of images missing, going right back to the first one in October 2009. I'm sincerely hoping all of those older ones will eventually be found as the site recovers. I'll keep an eye on it for a couple of weeks and see how it goes.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I fear I won’t be able to replace the photos, as it was/is my habit to take a photo to illustrate the point, and I never saved them locally, so my iPhone/iPad never filled up.  If they’ve gone, they’ve gone.

If Andy or the host can find a solution, that’s great, if not, it’s a shame, but worse things happen.  

not going to lose sleep over it given what else is going on in the news.

cheers

Simon

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

It seems to me, if you have a blog page created before March 2021, and you edited the page after March 2021, then the images are lost. In my case I edited many blog entries to add the new 'category' field introduced with new software.

I will wait a month or so and see which, if any, images reappear. If they don't come back, I wonder if there is a backup of the site from before March 2021 which would allow old blog posts to be restored in their original state? It would be a lot easier to add the category field again than to put back the lost photographs.

- Richard.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

With regard to missing images my threads seem okay before the end of May 2021. All shots before about the 25th of May are there. They all showed up immediately but this might be because I only post low resolution ones online, around 800x600, what used to be called VGA resolution. If anyone has posted larger file sizes it might be that it will take a while for the system to load them all.

Bob

• Informative/Useful 1

Hi Andy @AY Mod

A thank you for all the work you, and I'm sure your colleagues too, have had to spend on getting the site sorted. I don't envy you in any way with either the task, or some of the criticism a few individuals put your way.

And as an added bonus, it’s wonderfully quick opening pages too.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 47137 said:

It seems to me, if you have a blog page created before March 2021, and you edited the page after March 2021, then the images are lost. In my case I edited many blog entries to add the new 'category' field introduced with new software.

I will wait a month or so and see which, if any, images reappear. If they don't come back, I wonder if there is a backup of the site from before March 2021 which would allow old blog posts to be restored in their original state? It would be a lot easier to add the category field again than to put back the lost photographs.

- Richard.

Hi Richard. Have a look at your posts from May 2020 and December 2019. The photos are present in those. The same applies to three other blogs I have checked. 

Let's hope the system is working through the months.

Edited by Mikkel
Deleted stuff about the threads to avoid confusion.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1