RMweb - Change of hosting, missing images - April 2022

18 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

do you have a date more accurate than 'about a year ago' after which the lost images will not be shown?

There are pictures missing from a lot longer ago than that. I've gone back several years in some threads and they are all missing.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

As most of my posts with images are from the last year as I am a relative newbie here, I am going to try and fix the missing images on other threads I have posted on. I think the best approach is to click the ‘See my activity’ button and work through 25 or so pages of updates. I can’t think of a quicker way, unless anybody else has found one, so please do shout up if there is one.

225F8B47-19D0-42A6-8A12-E242C405D684.png.63a9340feb0cce7f6f4ffbc190481085.png

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, sandwich station said:

There are pictures missing from a lot longer ago than that. I've gone back several years in some threads and they are all missing.

I think they’ll gradually get restored, with just the last year’s missing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Well done Andy and the team in return Rmweb to us. I've no idea what you did, it's some kind of magic, but grateful, thankyou.

Mrs KDG is glad it's back too.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 31/03/2022 at 21:31, Neil P said:

I'm not looking for a scapegoat. I feel sorry for the guy who had to cancel his holiday.

There's been a lot of fingers pointed at Dediserve, who have clearly messed up, but I don't understand why it's wrong to suggest that the rmweb team should consider how they might have done things differently.

To misquote Bananarama - it’s not what you say, it’s the way that you say it...

There’s a big difference between “considering how they might have done things differently” and your original “are the RMWeb team taking any responsibility for the failure”.

Language and how it is used really matters - particularly in difficult situations.

In PRINCE2 project management, at the end of a project there’s an activity called “lessons learned”, where one reviews the things that went well, and should be done again; and the things that went less well, to think about what changes should be made for future projects.  If it was called “the hunt for who got it wrong” it would be a considerably less useful experience for all concerned.

And so it is here. Sometimes, sh*t happens - people react and a lot of hard work and late nights later things are getting back to normal.  And you can be absolutely certain that there will be thinking about how to stop this from ever happening again.

• Like 2
  • Agree 8
  • Round of applause 5

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Mrkirtley800 said:

Hello Andy,

All my pics have vanished, is there any chance of recovery?

otherwise my thread,Midland Railway in EM gauge can be scrapped.

Derek

Morning Derek. 

All of us with 'photo heavy' threads are in the same boat. Disheartening as it may be at this stage, let's see how things evolve over coming days and possibly weeks. 

I know it seems as if the very essence of the thread is lost but in time, hopefully, the majority of images will emerge from the ether. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, Zero Gravitas said:

To misquote Bananarama - it’s not what you say, it’s the way that you say it...

I agree. I apologised earlier in the thread for anyone I upset with my clumsy choice of words. I was surprised that there wasn’t an offsite backup. Hopefully it will all be smooth sailing with a new hosting provider. 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

22 hours ago, Neil P said:

..... And some air conditioning to cool it all......

Or you could just outsource it.

When you may end up with the situation as occurred at one of our installations, where the AC unit was put directly above the server rack, but hung there solely by the pipework with no supporting brackets 😞 Eventually, of course, there was a fracture and a leak. Now, under the AC unit was a drip-tray...but the AC unit, drip-tray and server rack were not in a straight line, so the outpouring from the pipework simply by-passed the drip-tray and went straight down thru' the rack! 

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

Nice McLeod tartan tie.

Cornish Everyday. Not McLeod; that has no blue and a different red. But thanks. 

Edited by Gwiwer
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

My plan is to start with the most recent and with a bit of luck somewhere along the way I'll meet myself coming back, so to speak.

Ooooh. 

www now stands for Wibbly Wobbly (Timey Wimey) Web 

🤣

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

My plan is to start with the most recent and with a bit of luck somewhere along the way I'll meet myself coming back, so to speak.

I've restored some of the more recent photos by deleting the image and providing a link to Flickr. To be frank, I'm not sure I'm going to bother restoring all images I've uploaded-if anyone desperately wants to see one, they can ping me a message, and I'll restore on an on demand basis.

I guess I could edit any posts with missing images with words to that effect.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Is it just me, viewing the site on my Android phone, but apart from this thread that I can view and apparently post on, I can't find any other forum material whatsoever. 

My own profile exists and I can find my emails but not my blog. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 97406 said:

As most of my posts with images are from the last year as I am a relative newbie here, I am going to try and fix the missing images on other threads I have posted on. I think the best approach is to click the ‘See my activity’ button and work through 25 or so pages of updates. I can’t think of a quicker way, unless anybody else has found one, so please do shout up if there is one.

225F8B47-19D0-42A6-8A12-E242C405D684.png.63a9340feb0cce7f6f4ffbc190481085.png

I did a simple guide to how I'm doing it. Have a look a couple of days ago on this thread or on the European Rest of the World thread. There is a link in my signature.

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

I did a simple guide to how I'm doing it. Have a look a couple of days ago on this thread or on the European Rest of the World thread. There is a link in my signature.

That's pretty much the process I've done on my thread, most of which is under a year old. It's the posts on other threads I am looking to locate now.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
Just now, 97406 said:

That's pretty much the process I've done on my thread, most of which is under a year old. It's the posts on other threads I am looking to locate now.

Good luck.  What's missing on my thread is photos that have been put on by other posters. They add a lot of information but c'est la vie as my neighbours would say, or less politely, tant pis.

Jamie

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, jamie92208 said:

Good luck.  What's missing on my thread is photos that have been put on by other posters. They add a lot of information but c'est la vie as my neighbours would say, or less politely, tant pis.

Jamie

It'll all get fixed in time. "Gentlemen, we can rebuild it..." to misquote the intro of the Six Million Dollar Man.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Signs of progress on some topics I follow.

Earlier today (Australia time) three Topics I know well were empty of photos back to their start 2012, 2015 etc. Now 12 hours later I've rechecked and two of them are well populated with the OP's pics, another is getting some back others still missing.

It's happening, slowly as might be expected given the TBs involved.

Given the enormity of the tasks involved it's not possible to heap too much praise on Andy and his co-workers so I add mine to all the others who have given thanks.

Colin

Edited by BWsTrains
  • Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, BWsTrains said:

Given the enormity of the tasks involved it's not possible to heap too much praise on Andy and his co-workers

Not least given that the site began as a hobby and just grew.  When ever we next meet the drinks are on me.  

Meanwhile I'm off to start the recovery process of repopulating the posts from which the images could not be saved.  As I never rely wholly on any third-party for storage I have the originals safely on my external drives here.  A mere 6TB-worth and nowhere near capacity at that!  

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

I note that signatures now show on mobile devices in any orientation.  On mine at least (iPhone 11 running iOS 15.3.1) they never showed in portrait mode but did in landscape.  As I normally use the phone in portrait mode for routine communication I never saw them and the actual post content was easy to scroll through.  

It is NOT a problem that I now have to scroll past signatures - including my own - attached to most posts in order to read the content.  I merely flag this as a change.  

• Like 2

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, Gwiwer said:

I merely flag this as a change

I made a change in the set up stage to include signatures this time for mobiles. It'll be a Marmite thing.

• Like 8