RMweb - Change of hosting, missing images - April 2022

Warners have been paying dediserve a ( presumably) large sum of money to provide a service, which includes regular backups. Putting those backups on the same drives as the main forum can only be described as unprofessional.

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

• RMweb Gold

Heartfelt thanks Andy for the herculean task of rebuilding RMWeb.

This has to be the world's biggest model railway club. One that brings members from all over the world (yes, I'm on the bottom of it!), with a massive diversity in interests and skills together where they can share their knowledge and views, helping to promote our hobby. 

Next job is to sign up for RMWeb Gold - it really is worth the money.

• Like 8
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

My thread runs to over 500 pages and I've invested many, many  hours over some 7+yrs placing photos thereon, probably thousands.  As is stands few can be seen and I have no idea how many will return.

@NHY 581

Hi Rob,

You might be lucky and find some of your photos on the Wayback Machine. For example I found this:

https://web.archive.org/web/20180331210842/http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/94613-the-sheep-chronicles-dressing-mutton-page-115-onwards-the-continuing-adventures-of-norman-lockhart/

old_sheep_page.jpg.29bc3b01d82277bf9e23f88562cae7a7.jpg

It's all a lucky dip and a lot of trying different capture dates, but there is a lot of RMweb on there:

https://web.archive.org/web/*/rmweb.co.uk/community/

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Now (dare I say it?), I'm not sure I'll continue with it (at the moment, I don't know how to because I'm told the pages I seek have 'ceased to exist', or words to that effect). This is the only thread I can access (probably my fault). 

Hi Tony,

Wright writes is still all there - apart from some of the images, specifically the last year's.

You may have been following an old link.

• Like 1

Most of my morning seemed to be in front of a PC but recently I found time to do other things.!  Suddenly my morning is back to normal - it's lunch time already.  But thats OK, its back😌 although I hadn't a clue what it was all about even after such an extensive explanation..

Such things are beyond me!

Brian.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, laurenceb said:

Warners have been paying dediserve a ( presumably) large sum of money to provide a service, which includes regular backups. Putting those backups on the same drives as the main forum can only be described as unprofessional.

When we first started office backups they were on tape. There were two sets of incremental updates done on separate tapes on alternate days and stored in different locations. That way even with a major problem we never lost more than a few hours of work.

• Like 6

52 minutes ago, Neil P said:

I'm not looking for a scapegoat. I feel sorry for the guy who had to cancel his holiday.

There's been a lot of fingers pointed at Dediserve, who have clearly messed up, but I don't understand why it's wrong to suggest that the rmweb team should consider how they might have done things differently.

I submit there are various reasons why its wrong, but the most important one is "its not the right b****y time". Not to put to fine a point on it you do reviews when the dust has settled, the folks have caught up with their sleep and the after effects of eating nothing but cold pizza for however long it was and the emotions and adrenalin have calmed down. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Gold

Having just been on Facebook and thought to see if there was any news there, it’s good to be back, thanks to Andy and the team for the hard work.  Haven’t been on here much this year due to ‘Reallife(tm)’, maybe this year will improve..(Ohh look, a flying pig.  Don’t usually see them this far north this time of year)

Anyway, hopefully the new providers will be better.  From the sound of it, they’ll struggle to be worse.

Owain

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Hi Tony,

Wright writes is still all there - apart from some of the images, specifically the last year's.

You may have been following an old link.

Thanks Andy,

Being dim (as usual), which link should I follow, please?

You must be sick of questions from computer dopes like me!

Regards,

Tony. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 minute ago, Tony Wright said:

AFAICS all bookmarks to the site are obsolete, so its probably easiest to start at the front page and follow the menus to where you want to go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Thanks Andy,

You must be sick of questions from computer dopes like me!

Regards,

Tony. 

Tony,

When you get in, the Activity drop down menu still works, and you can use. 'Content I started', or 'Content I posted in'.  I have had to reload the 'Content I posted in' URL into my browser home page as the old one is obsolete.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neil P said:

I don't want to be *that* person, and I appreciate all the work the team have put in restoring the site, but are the RMWeb team taking any responsibility for the failure and loss of service or is it just a case of blaming it on Dediserve? After all, a lot of people have lost photos that they uploaded for the benefit of helping other modellers.

Perhaps taking regular backups rather than relying on the hosting provider to do it would be a good idea in future?

Why would people have "lost" photos? Every pic I have uploaded to RMWeb was uploaded from my PC and guess what? They are all still in my PC. Nothing is lost.

Perhaps when paying a hosting provider to take backups, said hosting provider should do so in a professional manner and not host the backups on the same disc array as the primary data? The data centre wasn't based in Peckham by any chance?

• Agree 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, John Besley said:

Ok I use my phone for 99.9% of my time here ... Can't find CTRL  Home on it either 😊

on iPhone if you tap the very top of the screen glass above the browser/search box it will scroll to the top quickly, to be honest I’m not missing the button as a number of times I’ve knocked it while slowly scrolling a post and it’s shot to the top! 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Why would people have "lost" photos? Every pic I have uploaded to RMWeb was uploaded from my PC and guess what? They are all still in my PC. Nothing is lost.

Perhaps when paying a hosting provider to take backups, said hosting provider should do so in a professional manner and not host the backups on the same disc array as the primary data? The data centre wasn't based in Peckham by any chance?

I meant lost from the forum. The photos that members upload, especially when they're explaining how they've modelled something are a great resource, as we all know.

I agree that Dediserve should have done what they were paid to do.

Edited by Neil P
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1