Advice Needed On Dust Prevention Of Layout

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Graham Radish said:

Hello,

I have my OO gauge setup completed but would like some advice on keeping it as dust free as possible as its in a bedroom, does anyone have any ideas about this?

Cheers.

I bought a very thin plastic painters dust sheet, it is thinner than for example a freezer bag plastic so is very light and big enough to cover a fairly large layout.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Do you consider it necessary to remove the rolling stock first, before sheeting the layout?

I don’t leave stock on the layout very much at all TBH, but the sheeting is light enough not to worry them, just don’t “drag” it off, lift it.

• RMweb Gold

Tbh, short of sealing the layout in a vacuum, you're always going to battling with some dust collecting on the layout

As others have said, a dust sheet is a good idea and will keep most of it off the layout. I would suggest having some supports to keep it off any delicate items, a paper towel tube is a useful item for this (recycling at it's best). Also one of those mini vacuum cleaners meant for cleaning keyboards are useful for removing dust. A plus being that it is easy enough to rescue anything that gets sucked up....

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/03/2022 at 14:16, Graham Radish said:

Hello,

I have my OO gauge setup completed but would like some advice on keeping it as dust free as possible as its in a bedroom, does anyone have any ideas about this?

Cheers.

For my rollingstock I asked a company to make me a series of arches and girders from which I built two yard covers. It worked passably well and I'll be doing it again on my new layout. However this time around I'll make them stronger and more attractive.

One of the reasons for wanting it to be stronger is that dust builds up on the acetate and it was too delicate to dust.

• RMweb Premium

Hello,

Cheers.

The heritage printers that I use for producing waterslide transfers are irreplaceable and VERY susceptible to damage from dust etc.

Since I bought the first one twenty-odd years ago I have kept them covered, when not in use, with gardeners' fleece - the ultra-light, white material that is sold in garden-centres and nurseries.

It totally excludes dust and debris, and is so light that it could be draped over delicate scenery without damage.

Being so thin, it would be easy to store folded when not covering the layout.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 6

Hello,

Cheers.

Hi   Is that your bedroom, a spare bedroom with bed, Spare bedroom/ junk room or Railway Room.
We have a layout in a spare room with a bed which hasn't been used for sleeping since we built the layout on it 15 years ago, but which houses my photocopier and our Parish Council records.  Dust is pretty minimal compared to that in a live slept in Bedroom as we keep the curtains closed and the door shut and its really a non issue. Just a bit of free weathering.  Our bedroom however is a different matter and everything gets dusty. 
Opening the window is the exact opposite of what I would recommend. Keep it dark.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Short of a clean room with HEPA filtration and environmental suits, not a lot you can do really. Just make sure that a vacuum cleaner and a soft brush are your best friends, communicate with them every day.

• 6 months later...
On 20/03/2022 at 13:19, DCB said:

Hi   Is that your bedroom, a spare bedroom with bed, Spare bedroom/ junk room or Railway Room.
We have a layout in a spare room with a bed which hasn't been used for sleeping since we built the layout on it 15 years ago, but which houses my photocopier and our Parish Council records.  Dust is pretty minimal compared to that in a live slept in Bedroom as we keep the curtains closed and the door shut and its really a non issue. Just a bit of free weathering.  Our bedroom however is a different matter and everything gets dusty. 
Opening the window is the exact opposite of what I would recommend. Keep it dark.

Its the spare bedroom yea, its only a small room really but ideal for the layout and my dartboard on the opposite side, ill get some of that decorators plastic sheet and maybe make a canopy out of some 1" x !" timber i have lying around

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Graham Radish said:

Its the spare bedroom yea, its only a small room really but ideal for the layout and my dartboard on the opposite side, ill get some of that decorators plastic sheet and maybe make a canopy out of some 1" x !" timber i have lying around

Before you go to all that hassle, try some of the garden fleece fabric - it's very cheap and does the job very effectively.

You can just drape it over the layout because it's ultra-light.

CJI.

• Like 1

Mine has a roof and the tiniest of exits to the fiddle yard. The open front gets covered with a dust sheet when not in use. Does it keep it dust free, not a chance. I swear the dust gremlins must find access to anything.

• Like 1