Dapol OO Gauge Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0

AY Mod

6 hours ago, CHerron said:

Could someone with a pre-dcc / sound fitted version please post their CV 2 - 6 settings. My model seems very sluggish accelerating / decelerating and I want to verify the settings before I go changing things.

Many thanks

Chris

Have yet to check the CVs, but mine is also very slow whilst running. Beautifully controllable, but rather slow. Definitely moves at shunting speeds!

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Jon Harbour said:

Have yet to check the CVs, but mine is also very slow whilst running. Beautifully controllable, but rather slow. Definitely moves at shunting speeds!

i was going to ask the same question, i'm all for slow running but its too slow to be enjoyable, like watching paint dry. i'd like a bit quicker acceleration 

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, jonnyuk said:

i was going to ask the same question, i'm all for slow running but its too slow to be enjoyable, like watching paint dry. i'd like a bit quicker acceleration 

Just read cv3 and then reduce the value a bit. 

• Thanks 1

I had to laugh at my local club when I ran mine. It quite correctly triggered the lights on the level crossing when it passed over the optical detector, but was so slow that the flashing sequence had stopped by the time it reached the second detector on the other side and re-triggered it!

• Funny 8

My Wearmouth No.8 is now back from Digitrains with its stay-alive fitted.

It now crawls very slowly over long dead frogs, and when picked up will continue chuffing with its wheels turning for 3 or 4 seconds.  Cost- about £35.

Les

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Les1952 said:

My Wearmouth No.8 is now back from Digitrains with its stay-alive fitted.

It now crawls very slowly over long dead frogs, and when picked up will continue chuffing with its wheels turning for 3 or 4 seconds.  Cost- about £35.

Les

i did call them but it was months on the waiting list. decide to do it my self and bought the staco3 stays alive, wired in series to the decoder ground and common pads. works a charm, about 15-20 seconds of stay alive. 

well it was good for a couple of days then the stay alive stopped working. i suspect i did not wire them up in series right and they have blown, new ones arriving today.

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 14/08/2024 at 08:09, Jon Harbour said:

I had to laugh at my local club when I ran mine. It quite correctly triggered the lights on the level crossing when it passed over the optical detector, but was so slow that the flashing sequence had stopped by the time it reached the second detector on the other side and re-triggered it!

However, when I attached some wagons, it did work properly, as the last of the wagons was still blocking the initial IR detector!

• Like 2

Video of Number 8 at a very noisy Loughborough show shunting.  It now passes through the dead frogs on Wilford Road at this speed, rather than the near flat-out it needed before.

Layout is "Burch Green"

Occasional pauses in forwards motion are due to Kadee trip pins catching the rails on pointwork.

Les

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Well my replacement caps arrived, installed without the boiler fitted and ran for hours, fitted the boiler and lasted 5 mins. 99% sure my mistake has been not insulating each wire, I’ve shorted them.

To that end took the loco to the Loughborough show and gave it to coastal dcc to fit. Could be 2 weeks to 2 months.

Edited by jonnyuk

• RMweb Gold

My (analogue) one crawls over live frogs without any pi55ing about.

Just sayin'.

Amazing how half the "electronics freaks" seem scared stiff of a bit of straightforward extra wiring...... 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

My one runs fine on my high level test track which deliberately has dead frogs (for testing any decoder installs for those who have dead frog turnouts) and works fine but I have yet to test on the layout it is intended for. This layout does have live frogs but oddly the Oxford models Adams Radial does stall on the layout yet runs fine on the test track. I generally dont install stay alives on my OO stock.

On 13/08/2024 at 23:09, Jon Harbour said:

Not sure about later AHBs crossings but most of the early ones would do just that - when the train strikes in the sequence would start, but if the train took too long getting there, the crossing would clear itself.  If you planned to run a PWay train or similar that would be working in the vicinity you would have to put the crossing into local control ie, get somebody on site to work it and flag trains accordingly. 

Crossing may be initiated by a track circuit, but in most cases a treadle depressed by wheels flanges was used.  Position of the strike-in point (treadle) is calculated by reference to maximum line speed and the required time to go through sequence of amber light, flashing reds and lower barriers.  If there was a big difference between fastest and slowest trains normally using the line, additional safeguards had to be built in.

1200px-Flange_operated_rail_treadle.jpg?

1200px-Flange_operated_rail_treadle.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, roundhouse said:

My one runs fine on my high level test track which deliberately has dead frogs (for testing any decoder installs for those who have dead frog turnouts) and works fine but I have yet to test on the layout it is intended for. This layout does have live frogs but oddly the Oxford models Adams Radial does stall on the layout yet runs fine on the test track. I generally dont install stay alives on my OO stock.

Funny you should mention your Adams radial, mine does exactly the same thing over my live frogs. Track has to be spotless. I did change the motor to a coreless and it did improve the running by some margin.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Not sure about later AHBs crossings but most of the early ones would do just that - when the train strikes in the sequence would start, but if the train took too long getting there, the crossing would clear itself.  If you planned to run a PWay train or similar that would be working in the vicinity you would have to put the crossing into local control ie, get somebody on site to work it and flag trains accordingly. 

Crossing may be initiated by a track circuit, but in most cases a treadle depressed by wheels flanges was used.  Position of the strike-in point (treadle) is calculated by reference to maximum line speed and the required time to go through sequence of amber light, flashing reds and lower barriers.  If there was a big difference between fastest and slowest trains normally using the line, additional safeguards had to be built in.

1200px-Flange_operated_rail_treadle.jpg?

1200px-Flange_operated_rail_treadle.jpg

AHB's have (for many years AIUI) been primarily activated by track circuits, the treadles are just a back-up to protect against TC failures, rail-head contamination etc. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Question time please,

my loco arrived back from having a stay alive fitted. Ran fine for about 5 mins then got stuck going backwards, would not respond to throttle or direction commands. Sound commands still worked.

shut everything off, powered backup and now the loco won’t move, sounds still work fine. Now I would start to think motor but interestingly when I apply throttle I don’t get the sounds of movement. Anyone experienced this? Will setting cv 8 to value 8 reset things? Before I sent it back to the shop for them to look at it want to cover the basics and obvious tests. Thanks 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/09/2024 at 20:20, jonnyuk said:

Question time please,

my loco arrived back from having a stay alive fitted. Ran fine for about 5 mins then got stuck going backwards, would not respond to throttle or direction commands. Sound commands still worked.

shut everything off, powered backup and now the loco won’t move, sounds still work fine. Now I would start to think motor but interestingly when I apply throttle I don’t get the sounds of movement. Anyone experienced this? Will setting cv 8 to value 8 reset things? Before I sent it back to the shop for them to look at it want to cover the basics and obvious tests. Thanks 

I had the same (theres a post in the DCC section). Try reprogramming the address.

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, Kaput said:

I had the same (theres a post in the DCC section). Try reprogramming the address.

think i found that earlier today. i had reset cv 8>8 last night and  did not work. i did the same tonight and it worked, go figure