Dapol OO Gauge Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold

Morning ( here ! ) Peter, 

Another excellent conversion. Can you confirm the part number/ description of the bell please. 

With regard to the filler cap, I take it that the existing one  was simply ( !!!! ) relocated forward of the done from behind ? 

Rob

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I picked up 'Spider' in the modelshop in Redcar on Saturday. He had just two left before I saw it. A good price aswell and a very friendly shop. He opened the box to check the loco and found a rear spectacle glass loose in the box but I said not to worry as I can soon refix it which I have now done being back home.

The cab roof magnets are fine on mine but once the crew have been added I will use canopy glue to hold it in place to avoid it coming off when used on the layout at shows.

Loco was ever slightly hesitant moving forward slowly but after a run in on the rolling road its now running very smoothly. I did have to unscrew the chassis base plate in order to remove the tension lock couplings and fit Kadees to avoid putting too much stress on the NEM sockets.

Now to either find prototype photos of 'Spider' or to change it identity before its first outing which will be to the Stafford show in September.

Regarding the subject of weathering, its all very subjective and various friends like certain well known weathering retailers whilst others don't. I do weathering for various people and tend to weather lightly then show them if they want more, much easier to add more than remove it. I currently have one Eastern region tank loco that I weathered from photos but the owner wants it weathered heavier, so thats what I shall do.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning ( here ! ) Peter, 

Another excellent conversion. Can you confirm the part number/ description of the bell please. 

With regard to the filler cap, I take it that the existing one  was simply ( !!!! ) relocated forward of the done from behind ? 

Rob

Hi Rob,

Thank you for the complement! A couple of hints/tips:

The filler cap is relocated forward of the dome, not exactly half way between chimney and dome, but 1mm toward the chimney. It requires a 4.5mm hole for the dome to seat, but do not drill too deep as the dome hinge and filler need to rest on a small piece of plasticard rod as a base at the front and rear and the dome moulding sits proud of the tank. Trial and error I'm afraid. I ended up using my full-size battery drill to slowly drill this hole after using a 1mm drill to start a pilot hole, scary stuff! The dome handrails also are easily removed with care and reused.

This leaves a plug required to fill the hole left by the filler cap; I found that two Hornby SR route indicator discs did the job perfectly with the slightest amount of trimming to fit, glue them together, and then file to shape to the saddle tank, also removing the slight lip that surrounds the hole. This plug has to be removable to allow the tank to be screwed into place. Fortunately, this is where the bell sits which is superglued in and will hopefully act as a handle to lift it in and out.

The bells I used do not seem to be currently available from Bachmann US, but I recently ordered four of these as spares in case any other dock tanks emerge!

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_789_92&products_id=4554

These may also be suitable.

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_789_153&products_id=6479

The parts are cheap but the postage was steep to Oz.

The lubricator is removed from both sides, lamp irons have been added to the front and lh side as per prototype. Side shields added to the cab. the smokebox handle was replaced by a casting from Caley coaches.

Hope all this helps, let me know if you have further queries, it makes a nice little model which will join these two!

DSCN0999(2).JPG.4caa3d85071f6a2522652a909d6dd7de.JPG

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, 45568 said:

Hi Rob,

Thank you for the complement! A couple of hints/tips:

The filler cap is relocated forward of the dome, not exactly half way between chimney and dome, but 1mm toward the chimney. It requires a 4.5mm hole for the dome to seat, but do not drill too deep as the dome hinge and filler need to rest on a small piece of plasticard rod as a base at the front and rear and the dome moulding sits proud of the tank. Trial and error I'm afraid. I ended up using my full-size battery drill to slowly drill this hole after using a 1mm drill to start a pilot hole, scary stuff! The dome handrails also are easily removed with care and reused.

This leaves a plug required to fill the hole left by the filler cap; I found that two Hornby SR route indicator discs did the job perfectly with the slightest amount of trimming to fit, glue them together, and then file to shape to the saddle tank, also removing the slight lip that surrounds the hole. This plug has to be removable to allow the tank to be screwed into place. Fortunately, this is where the bell sits which is superglued in and will hopefully act as a handle to lift it in and out.

The bells I used do not seem to be currently available from Bachmann US, but I recently ordered four of these as spares in case any other dock tanks emerge!

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_789_92&products_id=4554

These may also be suitable.

https://estore.bachmanntrains.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=68_789_153&products_id=6479

The parts are cheap but the postage was steep to Oz.

The lubricator is removed from both sides, lamp irons have been added to the front and lh side as per prototype. Side shields added to the cab. the smokebox handle was replaced by a casting from Caley coaches.

Hope all this helps, let me know if you have further queries, it makes a nice little model which will join these two!

DSCN0999(2).JPG.4caa3d85071f6a2522652a909d6dd7de.JPG

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

Brilliant, 

Thanks Peter. Love the Peckett in the above image as well. 

Top stuff, 

Rob

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Brilliant, 

Thanks Peter. Love the Peckett in the above image as well. 

Top stuff, 

Rob

Rob,

I received this photo posted on a GW modellers Facebook group which shows the cab rear, a view I could not find! Gives the lamp/fire iron arrangement, plus shows a toolbox just forward of the cab, (very similar to those provided in the Pi Kerr Stuart!). Too late for me with the lamp irons, but the toolbox will be added! Hope this helps if you are considering the conversion.

11448.jpg.9de90b874d05ca5b94aaa9b357f1f201.jpg

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, 45568 said:

Rob,

I received this photo posted on a GW modellers Facebook group which shows the cab rear, a view I could not find! Gives the lamp/fire iron arrangement, plus shows a toolbox just forward of the cab, (very similar to those provided in the Pi Kerr Stuart!). Too late for me with the lamp irons, but the toolbox will be added! Hope this helps if you are considering the conversion.

11448.jpg.9de90b874d05ca5b94aaa9b357f1f201.jpg

Cheers from Oz,

Peter C.

That's fab. Thanks, PPeter.It will be a while before I contemplate that but very useful indeed. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Better worms
  • Thanks 1

Wallaby has safely arrived down under and as we often say: what a little rippa! Not only does she look good, but she's a smooth (albeit slightly noisy) runner and the firebox flicker on DC looks excellent. A very fine product, well done Dapol!

Hawthorne 1.jpeg

Hawthorne 2.jpeg

Hawthorne 3.jpeg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lastbroadcast said:

Wallaby has safely arrived down under and as we often say: what a little rippa! Not only does she look good, but she's a smooth (albeit slightly noisy) runner and the firebox flicker on DC looks excellent. A very fine product, well done Dapol!

Hawthorne 1.jpeg

Did you grab your's from Woodpecker, it was insane how quickly they got wiped out, they are thinking about ordering another batch if they can.

16 minutes ago, David Stannard said:

Did you grab your's from Woodpecker, it was insane how quickly they got wiped out, they are thinking about ordering another batch if they can.

Nah I missed out at Woodies - got mine from TMC and shipped it out, was the last one in that livery in stock! 

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, David Stannard said:

I got my Spider a week ago and was happy to mate it with some of my Black Park 7 planks, I really need to start building the colliery I have planned for a while. 

IMG_6987.jpeg

Doesnt come across in photos (not just yours!) but I was impressed how 3d the printed nameplates looked on the examples I have seen. Not saying they look as good as etched but definitely better than the usual printed nameplate with proper relief.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

5 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Doesnt come across in photos (not just yours!) but I was impressed how 3d the printed nameplates looked on the examples I have seen. Not saying they look as good as etched but definitely better than the usual printed nameplate with proper relief.

The print looks okay, but to be frank I will be definitely fitting the etched plates that came with it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, David Stannard said:

The print looks okay, but to be frank I will be definitely fitting the etched plates that came with it.

Oh - even better, didnt realise it had etched plates as well :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

IMG_0233.jpeg.92556f3d48172fee43a0e273a616dfa3.jpeg

We carried on the comparative tests  we started on the Pi ‘Victory’ thread on Kevin’s Charnwood Yard. 

IMG_0243.jpeg.1c3999fdeb1dd77336673112c59bfd55.jpeg

The results:

Hornby 08 48 wagons

PI Victory 47 wagons 

Oxford Janus 38 wagons 

Bachmann USA tank 38 wagons 

Heljan 07 37 wagons

Rapido 16” Hunslet 34 wagons 

EFE Austerity 31 wagons 

B/mann (new) 03 29 wagons

Dapol Hawthorne Leslie 27 wagons

Hattons Andrew Barclay 040 26 wagons

Hornby Sentinel 040 26 wagons

Dapol B4 040 16 wagons

So a very respectable result, just beating the Barclay but doing much better than the B4 while retaining the sweet running. 

IMG_0228.jpeg.24b448fbafb754f495c5d0c21a10b280.jpeg

IMG_0239.jpeg.29ebb3ed72e10efd6ef67592a47f492f.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

26 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

IMG_0233.jpeg.92556f3d48172fee43a0e273a616dfa3.jpeg

We carried on the comparative tests  we started on the Pi ‘Victory’ thread on Kevin’s Charnwood Yard. 

IMG_0243.jpeg.1c3999fdeb1dd77336673112c59bfd55.jpeg

The results:

Hornby 08 48 wagons

PI Victory 47 wagons 

Oxford Janus 38 wagons 

Bachmann USA tank 38 wagons 

Heljan 07 37 wagons

Rapido 16” Hunslet 34 wagons 

EFE Austerity 31 wagons 

B/mann (new) 03 29 wagons

Dapol Hawthorne Leslie 27 wagons

Hattons Andrew Barclay 040 26 wagons

Hornby Sentinel 040 26 wagons

Dapol B4 040 16 wagons

So a very respectable result, just beating the Barclay but doing much better than the B4 while retaining the sweet running. 

IMG_0228.jpeg.24b448fbafb754f495c5d0c21a10b280.jpeg

IMG_0239.jpeg.29ebb3ed72e10efd6ef67592a47f492f.jpeg

As a 14" loco 27 loaded wagons on level track would possibly be more than Hawthorn Leslie reckoned the prototype could pull., likewise the Barclay at 14".

On that measure the 03 is about right but the WD/J94 as an 18" loco is quite a bit short of prototye power- it should be about 30% stronger than the 16" Hunslet, of which the prototype is substantially an enlargement.

Les

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
26 minutes ago, Les1952 said:

As a 14" loco 27 loaded wagons on level track would possibly be more than Hawthorn Leslie reckoned the prototype could pull., likewise the Barclay at 14".

On that measure the 03 is about right but the WD/J94 as an 18" loco is quite a bit short of prototye power- it should be about 30% stronger than the 16" Hunslet, of which the prototype is substantially an enlargement.

Les

Based on some averages of tractive effort known on some locos and claims for others I created this chart as a very rough guide. 

image001.jpeg.ae87d976b31eff31f4263aa4ff099efb.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Some of @Trev52A's lovely pictures showing No. 81 of the later RSH edition at work on the former Pelaw Main Railway, loads varying between 4 and about 8 loaded wagons.  (Apologies if the thread is covered in drool - I did give it a good wipe before posting.)

• Like 2

I've been eagerly awaiting the release of these since they were first announced over two years ago, and happily collected my example (Faraday) almost a month ago when it arrived at my local model shop. I (like many on this thread) have something of a fondness for industrial 0-4-0st designs, but I've always hoped that a Hawthorn Leslie (or later RSH) design would end up being made as an RTR model. 

I should state that I do not currently have a fixed layout, although I tried to start one on buying the Hornby Peckett when first released in 2016(?), and again in 2019 with the Hattons Barclay. On both instances my initial enthusiasm died shortly after getting each loco "in the flesh". Though nice (indeed, the real 16 inch Barclay tanks are fond favourites of mine), neither really inspired me: the Peckett I had was a very poor runner, and the Barclay had too many visual 'design compromises', and the motion repeatedly locked up and fell off. My last encounter with Dapol RTR models was over 25 years ago as a child, and the L&YR 'pug'. And 25(ish) years later I must say that I am incredibly upset at/with Faraday. Very upset indeed. 

Because of the untold damage to my wallet it has caused. In short order Narrow Planet custom builder's plates, number plates and name plates were ordered. A ModelU 3d printed crew arrived, and various 00 scale shunter's tools very rapidly found their way to my workbench. I started (and have nearly finished) scratch building a plasticard and balsawood shed for Faraday (soon to be renamed) to be homed in. My partner has muttered darkly about banishing me to a shed...

And, worse yet, a second HL 0-4-0st has now found its way home. I'm even eyeing up Fox transfers so I can repaint and line it. How dare Dapol make these models so well?  

At the risk of sounding like the model railway equivalent of Cleetus the slack-jawed yokel visiting an airshow ("hey maalook at them purdy planes!"), there's something about Dapol's 0-4-0st that just seems "right", from the way it looks to how it runs - so much so I've decided to take the plunge and finally build a small layout. 

True, there are a few detail issues which are incorrect - but given that I'm renumbering my engines anyway I'm willing to overlook these. The alternative - brass kit building - is just not a viable alternative for me. 

I'm very happy with these. Two years was definitely worth the wait. 

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, ID10T code said:

I've been eagerly awaiting the release of these since they were first announced over two years ago, and happily collected my example (Faraday) almost a month ago when it arrived at my local model shop. I (like many on this thread) have something of a fondness for industrial 0-4-0st designs, but I've always hoped that a Hawthorn Leslie (or later RSH) design would end up being made as an RTR model. 

I should state that I do not currently have a fixed layout, although I tried to start one on buying the Hornby Peckett when first released in 2016(?), and again in 2019 with the Hattons Barclay. On both instances my initial enthusiasm died shortly after getting each loco "in the flesh". Though nice (indeed, the real 16 inch Barclay tanks are fond favourites of mine), neither really inspired me: the Peckett I had was a very poor runner, and the Barclay had too many visual 'design compromises', and the motion repeatedly locked up and fell off. My last encounter with Dapol RTR models was over 25 years ago as a child, and the L&YR 'pug'. And 25(ish) years later I must say that I am incredibly upset at/with Faraday. Very upset indeed. 

Because of the untold damage to my wallet it has caused. In short order Narrow Planet custom builder's plates, number plates and name plates were ordered. A ModelU 3d printed crew arrived, and various 00 scale shunter's tools very rapidly found their way to my workbench. I started (and have nearly finished) scratch building a plasticard and balsawood shed for Faraday (soon to be renamed) to be homed in. My partner has muttered darkly about banishing me to a shed...

And, worse yet, a second HL 0-4-0st has now found its way home. I'm even eyeing up Fox transfers so I can repaint and line it. How dare Dapol make these models so well?  

At the risk of sounding like the model railway equivalent of Cleetus the slack-jawed yokel visiting an airshow ("hey maalook at them purdy planes!"), there's something about Dapol's 0-4-0st that just seems "right", from the way it looks to how it runs - so much so I've decided to take the plunge and finally build a small layout. 

True, there are a few detail issues which are incorrect - but given that I'm renumbering my engines anyway I'm willing to overlook these. The alternative - brass kit building - is just not a viable alternative for me. 

I'm very happy with these. Two years was definitely worth the wait. 

And you might be able to add a Rapido 0-4-0 to it soon as well!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I managed to pick up an Invincible today. Popped into Gaugemaster in Ford while passing. I wasn't particularly looking for Invincible as it seemed to be one of the more popular variations. The 10% sale they had on made the decision easier! 

Very impressed with the model. Excellent detail and smooth running. Good haulage capacity too for a small loco.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Finally back in the UK and got to pick up my PLA model. 

I started slowly - I also picked up the 2nd hand (but perfect) Peckett PLA that had been an eBay purchase. Very nice model. One of Hornby's best (better than the 6w Sentinel I also have, which I like).

Then opened the Dapol. There's nothing I can say here someone already hasn't. So just a few notes

- weight, patina, etc of the diecast boiler is spot on. Beautiful. Standout. 

- sprung buffers stand out

- backhead detail

- livery application (peckett is excellent, this pips it)

- clever design for chipping etc

- cab roof on mine was perfect

For just over one hundred quid it's bloody fantastic. I'm having to control myself not to seek out and left and buy those too. My father is in the hobby too and said "lovely little loco". That's praise indeed!

The pickle I am in is the very different interpretations of the blue between Hornby, Dapol, and the forthcoming Andrew Barclay (the dark blue yellow lining is very PLA and later PBA). The Andrew Barclay isn't here yet, but looks closer to the Hornby than the Dapol. 

Weathering down the Dapol will bring it closer. 

Later PBA by Hornby seems accurate based on photos, while the PLA Janus seems close (maybe slightly darker). But the PBA royal blue is not the PLA blue from steam era, as far as I can tell. 

Anyone have any idea on who was closer in their shade?

• Like 2

Given the reliability of blue pigments before (say) 1980 I'd say all of them- having seen some very pale blue Warships and some Class 45's with a distinct turquoise tinge under certain lighting conditions even banger blue wasn't all that a reliable a pigment.

Les

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Could someone with a pre-dcc / sound fitted version please post their CV 2 - 6 settings. My model seems very sluggish accelerating / decelerating and I want to verify the settings before I go changing things.

Many thanks

Chris

4 hours ago, CHerron said:

Could someone with a pre-dcc / sound fitted version please post their CV 2 - 6 settings. My model seems very sluggish accelerating / decelerating and I want to verify the settings before I go changing things.

Many thanks

Chris

Have you test run the engine on straight DC?

Cheers,

David