Dapol OO Gauge Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Nova Scotian said:

I think we should be more careful in what we say about that eBay example. The owner/vendor may well be on there and that'd be really hurtful to see

Agree  - also agree with the other comment that said that weathering is subjective. Comparing the ebay images with examples in Terry Dorritys 'British Industrial Steam' and to my eye its not a bad job - certainly not bad enough to justify some of the comments made here. Someone will buy it and love it, each to their own, live and let live etc 

And for removal of any doubt I have no connection at all with the vendor!

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

I'm inclined to agree, the weathering is heavy, but I've seen far worse. The photos seem a little contrasty too, which probably over-emphasises the effect. Sit it in a suitable industrial scene, and I think it will look fine.

Ultimately though, it's a mass-produced model, not some rare antiquity. If it has sold well, there will be others along in the future.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Reminds me of the scrap awaiting restoration at the Tanfield. Depending how it had been applied it might easily be restored to something reasonable. I have found those white household cleaning eraser blocks to be of use on shifting poorly applied weathering.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
On 14/07/2024 at 12:36, colin55 said:

Do we know exactly which Zimo decoder is used ?   Decoder pro came up with a wide selection and i just guessed a suitable model number when I reprogrammed it.    Which CV can I alter to turn the volume down?  The whistles are very loud compared to other sound locos I have. 

Just had the model open, and it looks like a Zimo MS581N18. This is not stated in any of the literature.

I mistakenly bought a Staco 3A for stay alive as I expected a Zimo MS590N18 which is smaller.

I will still be able use the small gold cap capacitors to increase duration. These will fit either side of the motor (under the PC board).

Edit: What a great sound for a small speaker - the best RTR industrial loco produced - well done Dapol. Peformance is excellent. Tried out the 'real drive' which improves driving experience, but perhaps some other CVs need optimising as well.

image.png.27d1377330fa42872ecdfb1398669a36.png

Edited by zr2498
Note on performance added. Should have been MS581N18
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

5 hours ago, zr2498 said:

Just had the model open, and it looks like a Zimo MS580N18. This is not stated in any of the literature.

I mistakenly bought a Staco 3A for stay alive as I expected a Zimo MS590N18 which is smaller.

I will still be able use the small gold cap capacitors to increase duration. These will fit either side of the motor (under the PC board).

Edit: What a great sound for a small speaker - the best RTR industrial loco produced - well done Dapol. Peformance is excellent. Tried out the 'real drive' which improves driving experience, but perhaps some other CVs need optimising as well.

image.png.27d1377330fa42872ecdfb1398669a36.png

I think it's a Zimo MS581N18, see https://www.youchoos.co.uk/Index-Detail.php?L1=Detail&Item=MS581

Thanks, you've saved me having to open it up. Nowhere do Dapol say what decoder is fitted.

Peterfg

• Thanks 1

Short video clip of my Wearmouth Number 8 pulling a rake of heavy mineral wagons on the Bingham Model railway Club layout "Wilford Road",   It wasn't happy with some of the long dead frogs in the fiddle yard- the speed it is running is about the slowest it will run through these.

As a result it went off to Digitrains yesterday to have a stay alive installed.  It was accompanied by my factory sound fitted Rapido Hunslet "Jacks Green" for the same purpose- that one performs a deal less well than my identical "Ring Haw" which has a stay alive.

I'm not convinced Railway Club members realise just how loudly they talk......

Les

• Like 1

My Australian Iron & Steel Co. "Wallaby" arrived in the mail earlier this week and upon taking it out of the box, I noticed that the rear right hand side buffer was missing!

Looks like it was attached at one point in the factory, but it wasn't even rattling around in the box. I've reached out to Dapol about a replacement part to fit it myself, the model is still stunning in every other way!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, kernowtim said:

Only gone and ordered builders plates for a Barclay...... 😉

20240720_151914.jpg

Now you need an H-L plate, and a Barclay loco, to complete the set.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Any one else had any problems with the magnets in the cab roof, came to removing the roof to look at the detail in the cab and noticed that one of the magnets in the roof section was missing, further investigation found it attached to the magnet in the cab wall. Erm now to fix it hopefully in roof panel on a permanent basis !!

1 hour ago, kernowtim said:

Will have to check on my 2 examples however Sam's trains youtube review reported the same issue with magnets.

Using these magnets regularly on NO PLACE on the droppers of tension locks,  it is an occupational hazard with them.  For their size they are very strong.  So far I've found the only glue that WILL keep them firmly in place is epoxy.  However they are quite capable of moving while the epoxy cures.

Superglue will hold them but eventually becomes brittle and gives.

Using a secure push fit will have the same issue as superglue- the magnets will find the attraction of their partners becomes stronger than the friction holding them in place.

With more manufacturers going to magnets for tank engine roofs it is something we will have to live with.

Note.  Before anyone says "MY (insert other make here) cab roof is firm and has shown no sign of magnets moving" I would say to add the word YET.

Les

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Les1952 said:

magnets moving

Well, if this is the only thing we've really got to whine about on this model, I think it'll have to end up being my Model Of The Year...

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

Well, if this is the only thing we've really got to whine about on this model, I think it'll have to end up being my Model Of The Year...

Agreed, even with the buffer issue they've been a treat to talk with over email and gave me a link to the correct red needed to repaint the buffer beam if there is still chip marks. It's hands down the best tank engine I own.

Edited by ToledoRails
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, ToledoRails said:

Agreed, even with the buffer issue they've been a treat to talk with over email and gave me a link to the correct red needed to repaint the buffer beam if there is still chip marks. It's hands down the best tank engine I own.

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I think they're just fab.

I'm a 009 modeller, but I've decided in the long term that I'd like to add a small standard gauge feeder to my 'planned for' layout. I've recently acquired half a dozen wagons and one of these beauties... Mr Wallaby to be precise. It's stunning. Absolutely stunning. The best loco I own too @ToledoRails (even of it is the only standard gauge one I own 😂).

We don't know we're born with models of this quality. Well done Dapol 👍🏽

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Sorry for such a late reply. When I redid the profile on DecoderPro it immediately came up as MS581N18 ver.4 .

I also thought there was a missing magnet on the cab roof! One magnet seems to be enough to keep the roof on. I presume the steam sounds are just a generic version.

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, colin55 said:

Sorry for such a late reply. When I redid the profile on DecoderPro it immediately came up as MS581N18 ver.4 .

I also thought there was a missing magnet on the cab roof! One magnet seems to be enough to keep the roof on. I presume the steam sounds are just a generic version.

I thinks its a recording from an HL - possibly the black one that was recently at WSR (Footplate special model)

Chris

• Like 1

What a fantastic model and I'm normally not into the industrial scene. However, with all the praise I've seen, I couldn't resist 'Spider'. Great packaging with the clear plastic base enabling safe removal from and to the packaging without handling and potentially damaging some of the detail - great idea. Like others, however, on removing the roof, one of the holding magnets seemed to be absent and not in the packaging. I eventually twigged it was sitting on top of its opposite member- they do have a very strong attraction to each other. So, just touched a little UHU into its holding position and gently pushed it back into its place. Now all ok. Very pleased - well done Dapol!

20240724_095849.jpg

Edited by c3nf
spelling mistake
  • Like 12

Well. I finally decided which to get. Though it was hard to find one ! So many stores sold out. 

This will most likely be looking it's no13 and becoming the JLL locomotive that was at scunthorpe 

20240724_185133.jpg

Messenger_creation_2413194342205670.jpeg

• Like 8

While I was away, Invincible finally arrived. Cracking looking model but not tried it yet (DCC sound fitted which I refuse to run under DCC).

I chose this as she ran at Woolwich Arsenal from new in 1915, so can be - in a loose sense -  tied in with the SECR (although maybe not the correct livery!). Now preserved on the Isle of Wight, so can run alongside my other preserved IOW locos. And as engines tend to visit other preserved lines, then a Bluebell tie in is not impossible....

That and the fact she is fully DCC sound!

She is slightly bigger than Hornby's Peckett. The latter having more weight but space only for Hornby's plain 4 pin DCC chip.

I wonder if Invincible was named after the battlecruiser of the same name?

Edit: Have now run the model. Quite a delight but definitely needs a stay alive.

Invincible_01.jpg

Invincible_02.jpg

Edited by JSpencer
  • Like 7

Invincible  has  visited  the  Bluebell railway  in  June  2002,  it  attended   a  Thomas  event  as  a  substitute  for  a  failed  "Percy". 

It  was  even  in  the  red  livery  as  modelled  for  this  event.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

13 hours ago, JSpencer said:

She is slightly bigger than Hornby's Peckett. The latter having more weight but space only for Hornby's plain 4 pin DCC chip.

Remove the clunky non-standard 4 pin socket and theres a lot of room given also the "4 pin" decoder is a bodge of their cheap and nasty 8 pin, Really should have a 6 pin socket but then the red box lot do not have a 6 pin decoder.

• Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, IWCR said:

Invincible  has  visited  the  Bluebell railway  in  June  2002,  it  attended   a  Thomas  event  as  a  substitute  for  a  failed  "Percy". 

It  was  even  in  the  red  livery  as  modelled  for  this  event.

Pete

Thanks for the tip. 😀

I could not find any info. Well chuffed as Thomas would say....