Dapol OO Gauge Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0

AY Mod

I reckon my pre-ordered Port of Par twins from Rapido will be my last new loco purchases - 'Alfred' in particular was an 'acquaintance' (and the same age as me!) The only thing that could torpedo that plan would be.....um.....

image.png.a0ad23c077d8a697b6c3809ff80fa085.png

Falmouth Docks & Engineering Co. No 3 (Works No 3597/1926) - wearing three coats of GWR Brunswick Green paint applied by its regular driver Cyril Thomas in September 1984 following a firebox and boiler overhaul (there were a few guys in the docks who knew a thing or two about boilers 😉!)

When I were a nipper trips to Falmouth from home near Truro would invariably include a visit to the top of this massive rock wall to peer through the railings in the hope of seeing one of the docks' steam locos in action. Sometimes yes, usually no. Always ships though! But a model of No 3 which I must have seen in action during those visits would be as nostalgically irresistible as the 'twins'. However - those massive dumb buffers, tank filler behind the chimney instead of in front of the cab, and round the back a recess where the handbrake 'bulge' should be - nah, I think my wallet's safe. But what if Dapol did it anyway, even with the existing tooling? Er..........I'll cross that bridge if it ever presents itself!

The Sentinel in the background, No 129 (Works No 10129/1963) was ex-BSC Skinningrove and arrived in October 1978 when rail traffic in and out of the docks was already declining, and finally ended around spring 1980 leaving just internal movements. As can be seen it had the unusual feature of sliding cab doors fore and aft, possibly dictated by restricted access at its previous location. After withdrawal it left the docks - still in BSC yellow and numbered 129 - in late '95/early '96, initially moving to West Country Metals Ltd of Redruth, it was then resold to scrap merchant Henry Orchard & Sons of St Austell, but wasn't scrapped immediately as its new owner apparently to a shine to it - it was still extant in March 1998, but after that........?  This is the same company which scrapped 68 redundant CDA wagons within the past 12 months or so.

Oh well......let's see if that bridge ever appears 😊!

(Info above courtesy of 'Railway Bylines'  Vol 3 Issue 7, September 1998).

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I have Spider which is lovely. Despite info to the contrary in the instructions, it's had a bit of time on the rolling road and will have a bit more. First impressions though are that it's a beautifully detailed, smooth running loco. 

BUT.........

I'm starting to hear of a few examples with cogging issues at slow speeds so I'd suggest anyone who has these and is yet to give them a good run,  does so and not leave them in the box. 

Rob

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

I have Spider which is lovely. Despite info to the contrary in the instructions, it's had a bit of time on the rolling road and will have a bit more. First impressions though are that it's a beautifully detailed, smooth running loco. 

BUT.........

I'm starting to hear of a few examples with cogging issues at slow speeds so I'd suggest anyone who has these and is yet to give them a good run,  does so and not leave them in the box. 

Rob

I didn't know that coreless motors are affected by cogging. I thought that was just in motors with poles, or whatever.

9 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

My Marston, Thompson & Evershed No.3 had a good hour running hour a Kato Unitrack oval on a hard floor, half an hour in each direction. Can't work out why it should not be done, unless they have run them in at the factory there is always a need to ensure the gearing is properly meshed togther and my set up means should anything fall off then it will be easilly spotted.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

My sound fitted Marston arrived yesterday. Been giving a good run on the club layout today before people arrive.

Lovely model may have to accidentally purchase a couple more haha

20240709_184549.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

BUT.........

Rob

Might be worth checking inside for any lubrication as Ruston has shown there was a lack with his.

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

As I say, my Spider is fine and runs very nicely ( and I am fussy ).  With regard to lube, when I took mine off the plinth, there was some oil on the chassis, under the brass plinth spacer so that suggests mine was factory lubed. 

Rob..

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

22 hours ago, Ruston said:

I didn't know that coreless motors are affected by cogging. I thought that was just in motors with poles, or whatever.

Dapol website says coreless but Rails says five-pole skew-wound. I haven’t had mine yet so I can’t check.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

Dapol website says coreless but Rails says five-pole skew-wound. I haven’t had mine yet so I can’t check.

Yes the instructions say coreless. Going by my Invincible not liking a feedback controller, it almost certainly is. And yes some coreless motors can have the effects of cogging,

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, No Decorum said:

It certainly looks like a coreless.

DSCF1186.JPG.aa01c5f6e72fd0cf347ca7c638e7680e.JPG

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 8

• RMweb Gold

You won't get this with the factory sound version. Stay Alive fitted and hidden away under the tank.

• Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Ruston said:

You won't get this with the factory sound version. Stay Alive fitted and hidden away under the tank.

I'm interested to know if you have fitted your own sound decoder and stay alive, and what component parts you have used for that.

A photo of the sound  / stay alive fit as well would be great if at all possible (please).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, zr2498 said:

I'm interested to know if you have fitted your own sound decoder and stay alive, and what component parts you have used for that.

A photo of the sound  / stay alive fit as well would be great if at all possible (please).

Probably answers to your questions on @Ruston ‘s workshop thread:

• Thanks 1

I really want to get one of these but then I don't, non if the liveries seems to scream "buy me!".

No doubt it could be some time it ever they make a second batch. So just deciding which , if any, would fit on Plumtree works layout. 

The difficulty of model buying ! 

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 09/07/2024 at 10:24, Ruston said:

Cogging happens with a poor gear to worm relationship, and manifests itself particularly on gradients, it’s not a motor fault or DC/DCC thing.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C81oI9GN47u/?igsh=cXY5amYyNDV6bTN0

The one I have has shown no issues regarding cogging on the flat or grades as a solo or under load. See vid from around minute 18:00.

@Captain Kernow Tim, I’ve had no DC running issues with this and a non feedback Gaugemaster W.

Edited by PMP
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

Do we know exactly which Zimo decoder is used ?   Decoder pro came up with a wide selection and i just guessed a suitable model number when I reprogrammed it.    Which CV can I alter to turn the volume down?  The whistles are very loud compared to other sound locos I have.