Dapol OO Gauge Hawthorn Leslie 0-4-0

AY Mod

2 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

My 'Faraday' has just arrived and upon initial inspection I have just six comments to offer:

1: The pictures don't do it justice.

2: Heavy little bleeder; should pull well.

3: The chassis is like the B4 so there won't be any running issues when I get it on a layout next weekend.

4: If you thought the Hornby Peckett was good, you ain't seen nuthin' yet. 

5: One really isn't going to be enough.

6: When is it coming out in O Gauge?

In one word: BRAVISSIMO

So do you like it then?

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

My 'Faraday' has just arrived and upon initial inspection I have just six comments to offer:

1: The pictures don't do it justice.

2: Heavy little bleeder; should pull well.

3: The chassis is like the B4 so there won't be any running issues when I get it on a layout next weekend.

4: If you thought the Hornby Peckett was good, you ain't seen nuthin' yet. 

5: One really isn't going to be enough.

6: When is it coming out in O Gauge?

In one word: BRAVISSIMO

What he said.

Even the full price model shop commision HL was £20 cheaper than the Hornby IWC Terrier (the other loco I've bought this month). There is really no comparison; the cheaper Dapol model is clearly the better model is all respects. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Very pleased with my Marstons Hawthorn Leslie, which arrived today from Footplate Models in Kidderminster.

Runs very smoothly and looks lovely - what more can you ask?

Coincidentally I had a run behind the prototype a couple of weekends ago on the Foxfield Railway.

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Mol_PMB said:

When unloading asbestos, they did put up a warning chalkboard on the quay to discourage passers-by from going that way. But as far as I know there were no other precautions and the wagons were not reserved for any particular traffic.

I'm not even sure the asbestos was always in sacks - possibly sometimes loose in bulk.

Among the dockers, asbestos wasn't the least popular cargo by a long way. Carbon Black and Wet Skins were far worse, and Sulphur was risky too.

Working on a development site near an old dogs we were digging up Hessian sacks full of raw blue asbestos, I can't imagine what they would have transported it in as a bulk cargo, it would be like trying to handle loose feathers.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

Anyone run it over insulfrogs yet?

Yes in the video previous page.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, meatloaf said:

The albion yard video? I thought they were unifrogs, ill go back and have another look :)

They are Unifrogs (Code 75 Bullhead), but the reviewer states none of them are wired, so are effectively dead frogs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

They are Unifrogs (Code 75 Bullhead), but the reviewer states none of them are wired, so are effectively dead frogs.

Ah yes i saw that. The reason i asked about insulfrogs is the reviewer had the same issue i had with the N gauge EFE J94 where the wheelbase fitted inside the 2 plastic sections of the frog causing it to stop every time at low speed. It was fine tho on normal set track insulfrogs where there only the one plastic break. I think its because thge dead section on the unifrog is a bit bigger than on a normal insulfrog. Hope that makes sense

• RMweb Gold

I had pre-ordered two of these. I was then persuaded by a magazine ad. to order the Footplate Models exclusive as well.  I am very glad I did. This is a stunning little model, like the others, but I really like the colourful lining scheme that contrasts so well with the sombre black.

There is much refinement in the detail, for instance, this is not the only version with the wheels, which look satisfyingly diecast to my eyes, delicately lined. 

The finish is excellent and the weight and presence conferred by the metal saddle tank is very welcome. 

There is nothing toy-like about this model. 

I expected a good model, but these really exceed even the high expectations I had.  Hearty well done to Dapol.

20240702_093515-Copy.jpg.2bfabb14e947635bd69a96bda1e61efb.jpg

As one of the open-backed versions, one really gets to appreciate the interior. The spectacles are fairly discretely glazed, while the backhead and brake stand detail looks subtle and refined, and, well, spot on really. 

20240702_093549-Copy.jpg.dfe494e916086ba624f2d16607819e72.jpg

This latter, as one would expect, was naturally more expensive than my other, discounted, HLs. IIRC it was something like £130, which, I have to say, makes it not only cheaper but much better value for money than Hornby's contemporary undiscounted £150 website-exclusive Terrier release. Even at normal list price the Terrier is starting to look over-priced for what was only ever a mid-range quality model when it came out, and it was never a patch on Margate's exemplary little Peckett W4. Don't get me wrong, I am happy with the new Terrier, but, head to head, there is no question in my mind that the Dapol release is the superior model and much better value for money.

20240702_093742.jpg.216e2277740961fb6b6550f94bdab979.jpg

• Like 11
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Edwardian said:

20240702_093549-Copy.jpg.dfe494e916086ba624f2d16607819e72.jpg

The nameplate being 3D and stood further out from the tank at the top of the plate than it is at the bottom is an excellent detail, exactly like the prototype. I don't think I've ever seen that done before.

Mine has arrived. The front of the smokebox fell off when I undid the tank but it's nothing that a drop of glue can't fix.

DSCF1131.JPG.864d437d9a99f85d4068eb1cf4774e5a.JPG

As I thought, the handwheel on the smokebox door is too large. 3.8mm, which is what? Ten or eleven inches? It should probably be around six or thereabouts, so around 2mm in scale. Other than that I'm rather impressed with it. I like the split chassis. It means the wheels can be taken out for weathering and there's no worry about bending pickups when putting them back in.

I wonder when they'll do the RSH version? It's just a few tooling changes. Tank filler at the other end and different sandboxes, slightly different cab sides. There's probably a few more differences once you start looking for them but that's your starter for ten.

• Like 11

On 02/07/2024 at 02:09, Willl said:

Any word on when the dcc sound models are arriving?

Rails of Sheffield posted on Facebook around two hours ago at the time of commenting that the DCC models are due with them tomorrow.

Seeing all the DC examples here is making me very excited for my DCC Wallaby to come home to Australia.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Ah yes i saw that. The reason i asked about insulfrogs is the reviewer had the same issue i had with the N gauge EFE J94 where the wheelbase fitted inside the 2 plastic sections of the frog causing it to stop every time at low speed. It was fine tho on normal set track insulfrogs where there only the one plastic break. I think its because thge dead section on the unifrog is a bit bigger than on a normal insulfrog. Hope that makes sense

The short wheelbase of this prototype means that on the large radius Unifrog, or any point that has an inert V crossing section longer than the wheelbase is likely to see stalling. On the bullhead medium radius points and slips and crossings I saw no problems.

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, PMP said:

The short wheelbase of this prototype means that on the large radius Unifrog, or any point that has an inert V crossing section longer than the wheelbase is likely to see stalling. On the bullhead medium radius points and slips and crossings I saw no problems.

I have only one long frog point. I'll have to get some silver paint on the frog if it causes a problem. The next layout will be all shorter points, so shouldn't be an issue.  Looking forward to mine, which is a sound-fitted one so might be a couple of weeks yet.

Les

On 01/07/2024 at 15:22, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

There's nothing wrong with the principle, it's a matter of adequate materials choices and construction;  such that the split chassis assembly, and the insulating muff that holds the wheelset halves together, are both mechanically stable and robust, and the contacting surfaces for conduction are matched for long wear life with no loss of conductivity.

It was the low cost construction used on the earlier Mainline range and then Bachmann's steam models during their UK market probe in the 1990s, that got this technique a poor rep. The term isn't much in evidence now, but current successful models quietly using this method are available.

The old Triang Rocket has a split chassis.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

My green one with the striped buffer beams comes with infills for the buffer beam but a friend has one of the same that also has the infills but 3 of different liveries that all have red buffer beams and none of those have infills.  Is he just very unlucky or are Dapol not providing infills for the other liveries?

Edited by Ruston
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Just something I've noticed, everyone (online at least) is sold out of all versions of Invincible already. (Yes some variations with stock level with DCC/DCC sound versions for each retailer).

• Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Ruston said:

Is he just very unlucky or are Dapol not providing infills for the other liveries?

Appears not, my Invincible doesn't have the infills. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ribird said:

Just something I've noticed, everyone (online at least) is sold out of all versions of Invincible already. (Yes some variations with stock level with DCC/DCC sound versions for each retailer).

Glad that I decided to pre-order one then, unfortunately for me it arrived after I'd set off for a holiday on the IOM (it's been taken into safe custody by my daughter though 😉) so I'm enjoying seeing other people's photos of their models, I was surprised how big it looked next to @Edwardian's new Terrier (which I've also bought.)

Hope that you are all enjoying them.

Regards,

Ian.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 03060 said:

Glad that I decided to pre-order one then, unfortunately for me it arrived after I'd set off for a holiday on the IOM (it's been taken into safe custody by my daughter though 😉) so I'm enjoying seeing other people's photos of their models, I was surprised how big it looked next to @Edwardian's new Terrier (which I've also bought.)

Hope that you are all enjoying them.

Regards,

Ian.

Terriers are so beautifully proportioned that it's easy to forget how goofily tiny they are! It will be interesting when we can view a model Terrier next to the Rapido E1, similarly proportioned but more conventionally sized!

But yes, it is striking how substantial the HL looks next to a Terrier.

Mind you, the Terrier looks small even next a carriage that is even smaller than a standard Stroudley carriage, my low-roofed 24' 1870s carriage. 

image.png.14966cdce46ae31fd081b14326b4fa1a.png

But, yes, June proved and expensive month!

image.png.96cea68bf8ef5dc702d8f12ce654a158.png

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1