dcc sound double heading - engine sound response

bluedepot

hi

i have 2 locos the same. same decoder, same settings, same sound files etc. (different loco running numbers btw, and so only different cvs are long address 17/18).  the locos are very well matched for speed. 

anyway i want them to run in multiple, but can i make the engine sounds from the rear loco in the consist be slightly different?  i.e. slightly staggered in revving up, brake squeel etc? 

at the moment i tried a consist and the engine responses seem to be exactly the same in both lead and rear locos. 

they have esu loksound 5 decoders in them btw. 

any suggestions? 

cheers 

tim

Alter the behaviours very slightly: not enough to make them fight each other, but enough to alter the engine responses slightly. I'm thinking in terms of altering CVs 2 to 6 in very small increments or decrements to do this. I did something similar with two Heljan class 33s with LokSound v3.5 sounds from the same source.

thanks srman!  I'll try making some slight adjustments to cv2/3/4/5 on the rear loco in a minute then and see if that does it. 

a follow up question - i understand cv21/22 set which functions are active in consist mode. what about functions above 12 though? 

i only really need functions 1 (engine), 8 (compressor), 13 (curve squeel), and 17 (brake release) active on the rear loco. 

cheers

tim

If the locos are well matched you should not alter any driving characteristics so CVs 2 to 5 should stay as they are.

15 hours ago, bluedepot said:

can i make the engine sounds from the rear loco in the consist be slightly different?

Nothing easier than this (presuming the drive sound is there where it usually has to be and that the sound flow was set up correctly):

1. WRITE   CV31 = 16 & CV32 = 1

2. Then READ CVs 261 & 262

3. Add 4 (or similar, as you like)  to the actual values of CVs 261 & 262

4.  Write back CVs 261 & 262 with the new values.

The sound of the engine will now being played about 3% faster.

Try this first and see (hear) how it works.

35 minutes ago, bluedepot said:

what about functions above 12 though?

CV 22 is valid for up to F14

You can find functions above F14 in CVs 109 & 110.

So if you want to have F13 active just add value 64 to CV 22.

F17 is in CV 109 so add value 4.

Edited by Hamburger

thanks hamburger

i think thats had the desired effect!  i may try adusting cvs 261 and 262 further.  the volume is not that loud but i think it sounds more like two locos multiple working anyway (to me at least). 

do you know how i can make the start up / shut down sounds to be staggeted by a few seconds?

cheers for your help

tim

On 13/03/2022 at 14:35, Hamburger said:

If the locos are well matched you should not alter any driving characteristics so CVs 2 to 5 should stay as they are.

Nothing easier than this (presuming the drive sound is there where it usually has to be and that the sound flow was set up correctly):

1. WRITE   CV31 = 16 & CV32 = 1

2. Then READ CVs 261 & 262

3. Add 4 (or similar, as you like)  to the actual values of CVs 261 & 262

4.  Write back CVs 261 & 262 with the new values.

The sound of the engine will now being played about 3% faster.

Try this first and see (hear) how it works.

CV 22 is valid for up to F14

You can find functions above F14 in CVs 109 & 110.

So if you want to have F13 active just add value 64 to CV 22.

F17 is in CV 109 so add value 4.

I’ve tried these settings on a Bachmann Class 20 to vary the sound on a double headed set up but as the sound decoders are I believe Zimo it doesn’t work. You can set up CV 31 to 16 and CV 32 to 1 but CV 262 and CV 262 do not accept any changes….. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions please.

34 minutes ago, Martin_R said:

I’ve tried these settings on a Bachmann Class 20 to vary the sound on a double headed set up but as the sound decoders are I believe Zimo it doesn’t work. You can set up CV 31 to 16 and CV 32 to 1 but CV 262 and CV 262 do not accept any changes….. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions please.

Suggestions -

1)  establish which make of decoder you are dealing with.   Read CV8:  that will give you the maker's NMRA number, which can be looked up. ESU=151,  Zimo=145.  

2)  if its a Zimo, start a new thread so the settings for a Zimo don't get muddled with a thread describing the settings for ESU (which was clearly stated in the first post).   There is no way that the settings given in this thread, for ESU, will be remotely useful for Zimo, though certain principles may be applicable if one were to then read the Zimo manuals and look for equivalent settings.   

14 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

Suggestions -

1)  establish which make of decoder you are dealing with.   Read CV8:  that will give you the maker's NMRA number, which can be looked up. ESU=151,  Zimo=145.  

2)  if its a Zimo, start a new thread so the settings for a Zimo don't get muddled with a thread describing the settings for ESU (which was clearly stated in the first post).   There is no way that the settings given in this thread, for ESU, will be remotely useful for Zimo, though certain principles may be applicable if one were to then read the Zimo manuals and look for equivalent settings.   

Many thanks for the suggestions, I will look into doing that - sorry to have caused a degree of confusion…….