The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Mytchett Canal Centre.

Morning All,

As it was such a nice day yesterday, we went for a walk at the Mytchett Canal Centre on the Basingstoke Canal in west Surrey.  This gave me the opportunity to try out my new phone:

TTFN,

Ron.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, 45669 said:

Morning All,

As it was such a nice day yesterday, we went for a walk at the Mytchett Canal Centre on the Basingstoke Canal in west Surrey.  This gave me the opportunity to try out my new phone:

TTFN,

Ron.

Nice bit of video of a peaceful area!

My wife and I regularly enjoy walking sections of the Basingstoke Canal. When you visit Mytchett it is worth taking a walk Northwards on the West bank of the canal as you will come to the Frimley Miniature Railway (https://www.flmr.org) which is well worth a look when operation is underway.

If you walk a little further you will come to the point where the canal crosses the South Western main line on an aqueduct.

John

Edited by JJGraphics
Added some additional thoughts
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the video. Many years ago I used to live in one of the houses on the other bank. My morning jog used to be along the tow path up to Frimley Green and back. 

It's also a nice walk in the other direction to The Swan in Ash Vale. 

On 26/02/2022 at 16:03, JJGraphics said:

Nice bit of video of a peaceful area!

My wife and I regularly enjoy walking sections of the Basingstoke Canal. When you visit Mytchett it is worth taking a walk Northwards on the West bank of the canal as you will come to the Frimley Miniature Railway (https://www.flmr.org) which is well worth a look when operation is underway.

If you walk a little further you will come to the point where the canal crosses the South Western main line on an aqueduct.

John

I've walked it the other way round; i.e. from Frimley Lodge Park to Mytchett and back with a break for some tea and an ice cream in the café at the Canal Centre.  The boat trips from the Canal Centre in the summer are worth doing, too.   

I've been to the aqueduct, but only by car.

12 hours ago, AndyB said:

Thanks for the video. Many years ago I used to live in one of the houses on the other bank. My morning jog used to be along the tow path up to Frimley Green and back. 

It's also a nice walk in the other direction to The Swan in Ash Vale. 

You clearly know it well.  Pre covid we frequented The Swan from time to time.

• Like 1