Highland Railway 'Jones Goods' 4-6-0 in 00

rapidoandy

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

CR 439 class surely.. 55189 even came close to their offices for a visit.

Agreed, a very popular engine with a wide range of uses. And then there’s the Caley Jumbo, sadly none extant but surely there is enough information available?

Cheers,

David

• Like 3

4 hours ago, E100 said:

Would make a lot of sense for Rapido to do this one. Rightly or wrong it does feel like the Jones Goods has taken a lot longer than most other Rapido projects to come to market. Then again the first pictures weren't really an EP but a very rough EP with a wooden wheel! Probably was timed for MRS 2022. Some form of Scottish brake van I think should be high on the list as well.

The Caley single No.123 would be a poor choice, although the Hornby offering is somewhat underwhelming, thousands have been churned out so satisfying the general market for it. A CR 439 Class tank or CR 4-4-0 tender loco or even a 903 Class ‘Cardean’ would be a much better in my opinion. There are also the other Scottish pre-grouping locos like the GNSR Gordon Highlander and NBR Glen Douglas, all preferable to another CR 123.

Brian.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, adb968008 said:

CR 439 class surely..

2 hours ago, davknigh said:

Agreed, a very popular engine with a wide range of uses.

Caley (type) 0-4-4Ts had a wide, if very thin, range.

- Bradford Manningham had at least 4. In January 1948, they had three ‘439’ class and one ‘92’ class. None were there for long.

- one of the LMS-built ones was tried out on the St. Pancras - St. Albans service in 1927

- another LMS-built one was in use in the East Midlands around Nottingham in 1934

(There may have been others in Yorkshire at the same time as those at Manningham.)

So potential for modellers of ex-Midland lines!

Those are in addition to allocations to sheds once belonging to all of the pre-Grouping Scottish railways - Caledonian, G&SWR, Highland but also GNoSR and NBR.

Edited by pH
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, pH said:

Caley (type) 0-4-4Ts had a wide, if very thin, range.

- Bradford Manningham had at least 4. In January 1948, they had three ‘439’ class and one ‘92’ class. None were there for long.

- one of the LMS-built ones was tried out on the St. Pancras - St. Albans service in 1927

- another LMS-built one was in use in the East Midlands around Nottingham in 1934

(There may have been others in Yorkshire at the same time as those at Manningham.)

So potential for modellers of ex-Midland lines!

Those are in addition to allocations to sheds once belonging to all of the pre-Grouping Scottish railways - Caledonian, G&SWR, Highland but also GNoSR and NBR.

Yes but one is preserved, its in pretty blue and its been seen by thousands around the country for decades. It is a tank and puts it at the cheaper end of the scale to manufacture… and its a niche that Rapido does really well.

Preserved steam does play a big of a trump card premium as a lot of people can relate to it.

I’d be interested in a CR Single, Cardean and even an LYR Dreanought and Tank… but I think the commercials of something like a CR439 would trump them all.

On a side note I was really hoping to see the HR103 in GETS.. but I couldnt find it any where… I did look.

Edited by adb968008

11 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Yes but one is preserved, its in pretty blue and its been seen by thousands around the country for decades.

The 439 Class at Bo’ness is currently in BR black livery, this was due to a repair damaging its blue livery that it had been in for a few years.

IMG_1328.jpeg.d683126b15092f668e730f51d47d4333.jpeg
CR 439 Class in action on Sunday 13/10/24 during the B&KR steam gala.

Apparently, next year it’s going crimson!

Brian.

• Like 2