Revolution Trains announce Class 175 'Coradia' and Class 180 'Adelante' DMUs in N & OO Gauge.

AY Mod

On 16/09/2024 at 00:53, TomE said:

Very impressed with both the 175 and the 180 livery samples on show at TINGS. I think these are going to be something special!

rev175a.jpg.eb7d5efc86cd3d7a60541c305794ee05.jpg

Tom

If these look this good in N, can't imagine how good they will look in 00! bring on the 00 painted samples! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 16/09/2024 at 07:18, Dunsignalling said:

It would seem rather a waste to just throw them into the 75mph Devon/Cornwall Metro pool....

Less of a waste than scrapping them, which might be the alternative if the current government refuse GWR’s request to lease them…..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/09/2024 at 07:18, Dunsignalling said:

It would seem rather a waste to just throw them into the 75mph Devon/Cornwall Metro pool....

How much of their former area of operations was lower than their 100mph top speed? The answer is, quite a lot.

Outside London commuter routes, few units work on routes that support the maximum for a substantial percentage. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
Typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/09/2024 at 18:46, Ian Hargrave said:

I wonder about the use of 2+2 car trains and their impact upon staffing.I know from a recent experience with XC 221/220 Plymouth-Edinburgh from Temple Meads and the rear unit having to travel empty northbound from New Street due to “staff shortage “. The consequent overcrowding wasn’t much fun.Don’t know if GWR are similarly afflicted. 

There are loads of DMU / EMU trains running round made up of units with no gangways between them - and some of them don't need any on train staff at all - just a driver up front! (i.e. they are worked under DOO conditions)

However none of the aforementioned units exceed 100mph in service and I suspect that once you go beyond a certain speed threshold having staff in all portions of a train which does not have a gangway right through the formation becomes a safety requirement. If thats the case then the operator either has to significantly slow the service down by capping the speed (completely unacceptable to long distance operators like XC, GWR, LNER, etc) or lock the unstaffed portion out of use.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

How much of their former area of operations was lower than their 100mph top speed? The answer is, quite a lot.

Outside London commuter roytes, few units work on routes that support the maximum for a substantial percentage. 

Roy

True, and I don't know if the 5-car IETs that have replaced the 'Castle'  HSTs on the West Country - South Wales services do much (or even any) scheduled 100mph running. 

However, if they do, and GW want to release them to strengthen their high speed fleet, they don't currently have anything else rated at over 90mph.

That, admittedly, exceeds anything required on Devon/Cornwall Metro services, or even permitted West of Exeter, but all those services currently have to be timed for the slowest units in the pool, the 75mph Class 150.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Credit where credit’s due, Revolution have done a fantastic job with the 175’s and 180’s. The photos on the N gauge news site look amazing. Definitely won’t be able to resist these now!

Hopefully a GWR Green 175 will appear at some stage (agreement to take over the leasing of the 175’s is apparently ‘imminent’).

• Like 1

It’s great that the 175s are being redeployed by GW after their costly replacement by TfW. But I hope any production of a GW liveried model does not delay production of the models already announced.

6 hours ago, IMS said:

It’s great that the 175s are being redeployed by GW after their costly replacement by TfW. But I hope any production of a GW liveried model does not delay production of the models already announced.

no livery drawings exist yet, so I doubt they’ll. be in this batch

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Folks.

To slow the ‘GWR’ whirlwind down slightly, we are aware of various rumours and facts regarding the 175s being transferred to the West to continue their revenue earning service. Obviously, we would like to produce a model in this livery, however, we have no ‘official’ information on when this could (or if) happen. It’s all a matter of timing from the TOC and we have our fingers well and truly crossed that it falls within our timescale.

Cheers

Mike B

Edited by Revolution Mike B
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

If the whole GBR "nationalisation" thing comes in, they may not be repainted in GWR green at all.  I expect some sort of generic national livery to emerge at some point, probably some kind of deeply unimaginative Thameslink 700 style dealer stock white.