Heljan 10800 for OO

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

Thankyou,  nothing in the package but the basic locomotive.  Looks like I missed all the accessories, including the couplers.  Odd the class 17 also in the same shipment was also missing all the accessories.

Maybe customs had a poke around?

20 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Maybe customs had a poke around?

I am positive the package was intact as sent by Rails.  In the past I have received quite a few packages intercepted by customs and in all cases either additional customs tape or a note was included to highlight that customs had physically opened the package.  My thought is that prior dispatch the locomotives were removed instore and tested and the couplers and accessory packs not returned to their respective boxes.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

My bargain one arrived from Rails a day or two back, being the black one with silver bogies.

It has what appears to be a full accessory pack. The steam heat pipes, listed as supplied with the accessory pack, have already been fitted.

A nice touch is the inclusion of some spare handrails, which being very delicate indeed could easily be damaged.

My example runs beautifully, and was worth every penny!

John.

• Like 4

My bargain 10800 arrived yesterday. This was a "nice to have" model as she is technically not  a southern loco although she did *try* to work on the southern region for a couple of years. She was not a priority purchase considering everything else that was appearing at the same time (such as the D1s).

But this offer removed any doubts to purchase....

I have to say this is a very nice model. Some very hair thin handrails. It's a small diesel by BO-BO standards and you could get away with using her on a shunting plank. I have Heljan's class 15 too, its descendent that also was also infamous for being unreliable. On the SR 10800 was called the wonder engine as they wondered whether or not she would work. I suspect the Midland region had similar thoughts which makes me wonder why class 15 appeared IF the issues on 10800 were never resolved.

The model is of course very smooth and reliable and looked at home on a 5 coach train. I'll add disks at some point.

10800_01.jpg

10800_02.jpg

10800_03.jpg

10800_04.jpg

10800_05.jpg

• Like 8

3 hours ago, JSpencer said:

My bargain 10800 arrived yesterday. This was a "nice to have" model as she is technically not  a southern loco although she did *try* to work on the southern region for a couple of years. She was not a priority purchase considering everything else that was appearing at the same time (such as the D1s).

But this offer removed any doubts to purchase....

I have to say this is a very nice model. Some very hair thin handrails. It's a small diesel by BO-BO standards and you could get away with using her on a shunting plank. I have Heljan's class 15 too, its descendent that also was also infamous for being unreliable. On the SR 10800 was called the wonder engine as they wondered whether or not she would work. I suspect the Midland region had similar thoughts which makes me wonder why class 15 appeared IF the issues on 10800 were never resolved.

The model is of course very smooth and reliable and looked at home on a 5 coach train. I'll add disks at some point.

The Heljan model probably runs more reliably than 10800 or its successors of classes 15 and 16 ever did. I believe the ER did actually get the 15s to run more reliably eventually by improving the preventative maintenance procedures, but the class 16s (which, like 10800 were NBL products) never quite achieved that distinction.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1