Heljan 10800 for OO

AY Mod

1 hour ago, Kaput said:

Why would Dapol's instructions refer to it using the Lais product number if Lais were pirating Dapol's product.

Theres no if's, buts or maybes about it. The Imperium 1 and 2 are LaisDCC decoders with the shrinkwrap removed, CV7 changed to Dapol (I think) and stuck in a Dapol box.

And for which you pay double the price 

• 2 months later...

I received an e mail from Rails a couple of days ago informing me that the Heljan NB BR 10800 has been reduced from £254.95 to £149.95, now that is a massive price drop which tells me that the model isn't selling or has the market become saturated? It also confirms my policy of not rushing out and buying a newly released model and to just wait a while.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

50 minutes ago, joseph benjamin said:

I received an e mail from Rails a couple of days ago informing me that the Heljan NB BR 10800 has been reduced from £254.95 to £149.95, now that is a massive price drop which tells me that the model isn't selling or has the market become saturated? It also confirms my policy of not rushing out and buying a newly released model and to just wait a while.

I saw it in the bargain hunters thread. Mine arrived in the post today. In a drunken haze I mistakenly ordered the weathered version, though it doesn't look very weathered.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Problem with modelling 'one offs' - once those interested have one (and usually it is only the one) the remainder are increasingly hard to shift. 

Quite so - and especially models of prototypes like this, and the Fell, which had less than stellar careers. Successful one-offs, like the original Deltic, did what it said on the tin, and would thus have more cachet.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Problem with modelling 'one offs' - once those interested have one (and usually it is only the one) the remainder are increasingly hard to shift. 

Agree. Note that there is also a price drop on Gas Turbine 18100 atm . I fell for this on a visit to Rails emporium in March and bought. IMHO it’s a super job,so if you model the WR or 25Kv LMR then here it is. I did get 5% on the day however and have no regrets. I just couldn’t walk away from the display cabinet.Naughty but nice.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

I just couldn’t walk away from the display cabinet.Naughty but nice.

I believe the motor trade refers to this as "Showroom appeal", and cheerfully admit the late, lamented Paignton Model Shop sold me a few locos over the years because they looked simply spiffing in the showcase, or even the window. If we can afford it, why not?

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Quite so - and especially models of prototypes like this, and the Fell, which had less than stellar careers. Successful one-offs, like the original Deltic, did what it said on the tin, and would thus have more cachet.

tis true, for me was more a 'nice to have' rather than a 'must have' but the half price offer has won me over (easily done) and it'll be a nice addition to my early DE traction 'pool' :-)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Agree. Note that there is also a price drop on Gas Turbine 18100 atm

Maybe a coincidence but was surprised to see it reviewed in the latest issue of Hornby Mag - think its been available for quite a while hasnt it?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Indeed, I recall Hattons shifting both versions of DP2 at £70-75. 'Lion' likewise at £70. 'Kestrel' I seem to recall was also reduced but can't now remember how far - I should have bought one of those, not because I had a use for it but simply because the thing looked so amazing! A pity I never saw the real one.

I think my 'Lion' cost £108 from Hattons but of course I then had no use for a second one, no matter how much of a bargain it was.

The original 'Falcon' release was a limited edition of 2,400 (800 of each livery) with certificate. 'Lion' was a limited edition of 4,000 (in one livery) so I guess this way overshot the number of people who wanted one (considering the prices these go for now on Ebay - £230-250 - I should have stocked up 🙄!) I don't recall the production volumes for DP2 and 'Kestrel' being published. The only other quantified Heljan limited edition which comes to mind was the NBL Class 16 D84xx, 750 each of seven (?) versions, but again Hattons eventually had to knock these out at £72 to shift them (around half RRP IIRC), and even then it took quite a while. This 'anticipated demand vs viable production volume' equation becomes more acute as the subjects not modelled previously become ever more obscure (I'm talking diesels here, my prized 1958 'Observer's Book of British Railway Locomotives' shows plenty of steam locos still worth having a go at). I'm interested to see how Heljan's Class 02 shunter sells, as it may indicate how likely it is that we'll see models of other small shunters beyond it. Although I still think a Barclay Class 06 from the manufacturer of BRCW Classes 26 & 27 is an open goal (perhaps eventually the maker of NBL Classes 21& 29 with a developing reputation for excellent 0-4-0s but yet to tackle a diesel will fill that gap. Just speculatin' 😉!)

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

/considering the prices these go for now on Ebay /

exactly, best to jump in a get these 'oddities' while prices dip, I have a soft spot for them, and love running the pioneer/prototype BR diesels with coaching stock of the period.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Maybe a coincidence but was surprised to see it reviewed in the latest issue of Hornby Mag - think its been available for quite a while hasnt it?

Not that long.The early part of this year. A superior ( IMHO) model to the early 18000 .  A looker and a good runner.

• RMweb Premium

Yes it's been out a year and was reviewed in the September 2023 Hornby Magazine according to info earlier in this thread, so not sure why they seemed to have reviewed it again a year on.

The review does state, "While the model has been available now for several months, this is our first opportunity to see one up close. " Only they know why it has taken several months for that opportunity to come around!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

The review does state, "While the model has been available now for several months, this is our first opportunity to see one up close. " Only they know why it has taken several months for that opportunity to come around!

Having checked over on Pocketmags they reviewed it in September 2023 edition.

EDIT: OK the September 2024 review is 18100, not 10800 (as per thread title) hence my confusion.

Edited by spamcan61
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, John Tomlinson said:

They're all the right numbers, but not necessarily in the right order, sunshine!

John.

Ah, but maybe I intended to put them in reverse order of introduction.......or did you mean "00801 + 00181 + 00081" ?!

Exit, stage left.....😜!

• Funny 1

This one was in the highly desirable but in the too xxxxxx category more me.

(xxxxx = too expensive and not relevant to my collection)

The recent Rails of Sheffield special offer was just too much and I caved in and bought the 1082 version (with black bogies).  According the shop there were two left before I bought mine !!!  My excuse is that 10800 spent several years of evaluation on passenger services, as we know. but after that period 10800 was sent tp several depots for trials on local freight trip work.  That is my story and I am sticking to it !!!     

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Today I received a weathered early version class 10800 loco from Heljan.  It ran superbly but surprisingly no couplers were included.

I got one last week (unweathered).  Screw link couplings pre-fitted, tension lock couplings provided in a small bag within the packaging (which also contained the headcode discs and lamp irons).

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, Covkid said:

This one was in the highly desirable but in the too xxxxxx category more me.

(xxxxx = too expensive and not relevant to my collection)

The recent Rails of Sheffield special offer was just too much and I caved in and bought the 1082 version (with black bogies).  According the shop there were two left before I bought mine !!!  My excuse is that 10800 spent several years of evaluation on passenger services, as we know. but after that period 10800 was sent tp several depots for trials on local freight trip work.  That is my story and I am sticking to it !!!     

same here, mine came yesterday, 1082 version for me too, as the loco was in Rugby post-1955, and served the Peterborough route, and over to Cambridge, and I have some nice late '50s ER stock it will sit nicely with, running a Midland service to East Anglia :-)

1 hour ago, Mark Forrest said:

I got one last week (unweathered).  Screw link couplings pre-fitted, tension lock couplings provided in a small bag within the packaging (which also contained the headcode discs and lamp irons).

Thankyou,  nothing in the package but the basic locomotive.  Looks like I missed all the accessories, including the couplers.  Odd the class 17 also in the same shipment was also missing all the accessories.