Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @Nimbus,

You are incorrect. There is a subtle curve to the rainstrip on the model and this matches the curve on the 3D scan that we made of D5830 at Ruddington.  

According to the Brush Works Drawings this is a 70' radius curve.

Its subtle but it’s there! 

Cheers!

Fran

There is deffo a subtle curve there. You can see it in the slight wedge shape between the top of the driver/secondman’s screens and the gutter. I also viewed it on the iPad as close to edge on as possible and it became more apparent. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Interesting mix of curves in all different directions on face of a 31, subtle droop of the outer windows too.

Waiting time at Oldland

9 hours ago, Nimbus said:
On 26/08/2024 at 10:24, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi folks,

Happy Bank Holiday Monday. A teaser of 105, also in Network Rail livery, in full skinhead glory!

33dbe0f5ce4fed74a7c7c1b57828f13c.jpg.d0ba91fee8c800271053acbb0a591760.jpg

More (and better!) pics of our NR pair very soon!

Cheers!

Fran

Is it a camera distortion, or is the cab front rainstrip totally horizontal?

My feeling, backed up by Mophead45143's photo above, is that there should, on the roofbox ones at least, be a slight arch.

If I were the Brush draughtsman, this would have followed from treating the facet of the windsreen's panel as a chamfered rectangle, and the

windscreen glass and aperture also as chamfered rectangles, i.e with three 90-degree corners and their adjacent edges parallel to the 'edges'

of the panel. Easier to specify the glass dimensions, and as a by-product softening what could look a slightly 'frowny face'.

Airfix sensitised me to this possibility when I compared theirs to my Tri-ang ones. Was it really almost half a century ago?!

The Nim.

I remember drawing 31s as a kid with a ruler and wondering why they looked grumpy like Sam the Eagle.

Jo

• Like 1

• Accurascale staff
10 hours ago, atom3624 said:

In case you didn't know, to inform everyone, Class 31 AccuraFolk are now available - just purchased a pair for mine.

Al.

We've simplified various upgrade bundles too - with extra discount 

https://www.accurascale.com/collections/brush-type-2-class-30-31/products/br-class-30-31-upgrade-bundles

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Revenons a nos moutons (or escargots if you prefer the "Brian" nickname for the 31s), this might seem a bit of a numpty question but when I checked the "progress" page on the models am I to assume those marked "incoming stock" are in a container on the high seas (and by inference, the rail blue examples have yet to depart)? If so, is it possible to say if the Rails exclusive "Severn Valley Railway" is "incoming stock" or "still in China" as I've looked to see if there is a progress message both on the Accurascale website and Rails and not had any luck.

Not that that means it isn't out there of course, just that I couldn't find it...

• Agree 1

• Accurascale staff
2 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Revenons a nos moutons (or escargots if you prefer the "Brian" nickname for the 31s), this might seem a bit of a numpty question but when I checked the "progress" page on the models am I to assume those marked "incoming stock" are in a container on the high seas (and by inference, the rail blue examples have yet to depart)? If so, is it possible to say if the Rails exclusive "Severn Valley Railway" is "incoming stock" or "still in China" as I've looked to see if there is a progress message both on the Accurascale website and Rails and not had any luck.

Not that that means it isn't out there of course, just that I couldn't find it...

Hi Mark,

The rail blue examples of the main range are on the high seas. The Rails Limited Edition of Severn Valley Railway is due in the final batch of deliveries at the end of the year.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/08/2024 at 08:42, 97406 said:

There is deffo a subtle curve there. You can see it in the slight wedge shape between the top of the driver/secondman’s screens and the gutter. I also viewed it on the iPad as close to edge on as possible and it became more apparent. 

I'm not sure the glazing helps demonstrate the curves in this area. I'd also like more photos of the front and side shots too and I really think this is a model that I need to see in person rather than making any decision online. 

• Like 1

• Accurascale staff
2 hours ago, dj_crisp said:

I'm not sure the glazing helps demonstrate the curves in this area. I'd also like more photos of the front and side shots too and I really think this is a model that I need to see in person rather than making any decision online. 

Hi @dj_crisp,

The curve is there, but I think you hit the nail on the head about seeing the model in person to draw proper conclusions. While another manufacturer infamously states "you can't tell from a photograph" and I personally I wouldn't buy into that level of critique deflection, when it comes to the rather subtle nature of these areas around the 31 cab, nothing beats having it in your hands and having a close look. 

I think when it comes to a fair comparison, it's best to judge when both models are out "in the wild". I'm confident (as are our team, and one of the biggest Class 31 nuts I know who has had it in his hands) that we have nailed it. In a few weeks the masses will be able to see that too as they land on our shores.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 15
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @dj_crisp,

The curve is there, but I think you hit the nail on the head about seeing the model in person to draw proper conclusions. While another manufacturer infamously states "you can't tell from a photograph" and I personally I wouldn't buy into that level of critique deflection, when it comes to the rather subtle nature of these areas around the 31 cab, nothing beats having it in your hands and having a close look. 

I think when it comes to a fair comparison, it's best to judge when both models are out "in the wild". I'm confident (as are our team, and one of the biggest Class 31 nuts I know who has had it in his hands) that we have nailed it. In a few weeks the masses will be able to see that too as they land on our shores.

Cheers!

Fran 

As one of those people who on several occasions has been close enough to that particular area on a 12" to the foot Brush 2 it does have a very subtle curve, even on the handful that ended up with new cabs.

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Had a bit of an ebay clearout recently, and as I had some unconverted Accurascale reward points that were due to expire soon, I decided to use the recent sale funds to pay off a few of my outstanding pre-orders and earn some more.

The result of this is I've now managed to bag a sound fitted BR Blue 31432 direct from Accurascale for a little over £140! Bargain!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

46 minutes ago, Foden said:

Had a bit of an ebay clearout recently, and as I had some unconverted Accurascale reward points that were due to expire soon, I decided to use the recent sale funds to pay off a few of my outstanding pre-orders and earn some more.

The result of this is I've now managed to bag a sound fitted BR Blue 31432 direct from Accurascale for a little over £140! Bargain!

Potentially daft question inbound. How did you know the points were about to expire? I don’t see anything like that on my account. Might need to borrow your method if they are going soon!

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Br60066 said:

Potentially daft question inbound. How did you know the points were about to expire? I don’t see anything like that on my account. Might need to borrow your method if they are going soon!

Points do have an expiry date, it should be shown on your account, they can be converted to vouchers, which don't have an expiry date IIRC.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Br60066 said:

In ‘My account’ and ‘Rewards’ there was a small addition of text highlighting that some of my reward points were due to expire in XX days. It was pretty clear and obvious.

Perhaps if there’s nothing to see there’s nothing to be concerned about.

I wasn’t aware if the points were converted to a coupon there was a time limitation on that or not, not that it mattered to me personally in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by Foden
  • Thanks 1

• Accurascale staff
11 hours ago, Chris56057 said:

Would be nice to see some photos of the Intercity model 👍

Hi Chris,

We will have photos of these (and Railfreight, Reggie rail etc) very soon! 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Paid my preorder for 31110 this morning and had a quick look on the 31 page to get a decoder for it and somehow 31432 ended up in my basket and my finger slipped and place order button was accidentally pressed!!! 

Boosted my rewards points upto £36 once I’d paid for that one aswell so 2 DCC decoders ordered for a whole £26!! 

I was in rails yesterday and had a good look at the Bachmann one and it just didn’t stand out for me, it’s good don’t get me wrong but not fantastic. I think the thick yellow paint they use really covers front end definition!! I took one look at the picture of 31432 and went wow!! 

Wish that shop would hurry up now!! 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Wayne 56089 said:

Paid my preorder for 31110 this morning and had a quick look on the 31 page to get a decoder for it and somehow 31432 ended up in my basket and my finger slipped and place order button was accidentally pressed!!! 

Boosted my rewards points upto £36 once I’d paid for that one aswell so 2 DCC decoders ordered for a whole £26!! 

I was in rails yesterday and had a good look at the Bachmann one and it just didn’t stand out for me, it’s good don’t get me wrong but not fantastic. I think the thick yellow paint they use really covers front end definition!! I took one look at the picture of 31432 and went wow!! 

Wish that shop would hurry up now!! 

Hi Wayne, I bought  one of the Bachmann  BR blue ones and it's a nice model. But I'm more interested in my 1 Accurascale 30 and 4 31s but I am a little nervous on the thickness of the yellow fronts of these too after the second batch of Accurascale 37s which recently landed, also had the thick detail covering yellow (not all oddly) so unfortunately it's not just Bachmann 

7 minutes ago, 37081LochLong said:

Hi Wayne, I bought  one of the Bachmann  BR blue ones and it's a nice model. But I'm more interested in my 1 Accurascale 30 and 4 31s but I am a little nervous on the thickness of the yellow fronts of these too after the second batch of Accurascale 37s which recently landed, also had the thick detail covering yellow (not all oddly) so unfortunately it's not just Bachmann 

I’m hoping it’s the same as the production sample they have a photo of on the website

IMG_4606.png

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A production sample is part of the main batch sent over for review before the rest of the batch is finished. They will have all been painted and I would be very surprised if the yellow paint is thicker than the example above. Should be alright.

Edited by 97406

1 hour ago, 97406 said:

A production sample is part of the main batch sent over for review before the rest of the batch is finished. They will have all been painted and I would be very surprised if the yellow paint is thicker than the example above. Should be alright.

Lets just hope so :)

• Agree 1