Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

57 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I’m a little puzzled by the item in the spec:

“Separately switched cab lighting and illuminated, driver’s desk with auto/off on movement”

This seems to say that the driver’s desk illumination is turned off when the loco moves. That seems odd if it is. I also have a dislike of cablights which extinguish when a loco starts to move*. Will it be possible to reprogramme the cablights to eliminate this feature?

* Just to clarify. Cablights are seldom turned off at the moment a loco starts to move. Usually they are turned off earlier but are known to be switched off just after a loco starts moving.

In principle , you should be able to eliminate the feature that extinguishes the cab lights prior to the loco moving using certain CV changes .

I did it on my Legomanbiffo models when I sacrificed the cab lights

(F19) for independently switched tail lights .

Said lights would duly go out prior to the loco moving  which was annoying if the loco was travelling LE .

A quick email to Biff sorted it .

Different sound author in this case of course .

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

They appear to be on here:

They do don’t they! 

but are they showing up as it’s a photo?

Schrödingers spotlights

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

47 minutes ago, McC said:

Everything is configurable and a complete list of functions, aux outputs and cvv' values to do so will come with the model. HTH!

Glad to see this. This information was lacking on the Deltics which meant adding our own decoders became unnecessarily complicated

Well the two newly announced class 31's look mighty fine and im sure i will be ordering one later this evening. However, i have to agree with others that the infra-red/inspection lights  look out of place. I appreciate that there are the inevitable trade off's in terms of design but you guys came up with a re-work of the car headlight so im really hopeful that a fibre optic route or similar will be looked into. Everything is possible, its just finding the solution. id gladly pay more if we had to have fibre optics on the relevant class 31 to make this more realistic and in keeping with scale. 

i will definitely be ordering one of them but as yet, not the other. 

cracking addition though chaps 🙏🙏

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Krieghoff said:

Well the two newly announced class 31's look mighty fine and im sure i will be ordering one later this evening. However, i have to agree with others that the infra-red/inspection lights  look out of place. I appreciate that there are the inevitable trade off's in terms of design but you guys came up with a re-work of the car headlight so im really hopeful that a fibre optic route or similar will be looked into. Everything is possible, its just finding the solution. id gladly pay more if we had to have fibre optics on the relevant class 31 to make this more realistic and in keeping with scale. 

i will definitely be ordering one of them but as yet, not the other. 

cracking addition though chaps 🙏🙏

Fiber optics won’t work. been there tried that. we’re working on refining as much as we can  the lamps themselves but have to strike a balance for functionality sake. We’d also never ask you to pay more. All those extra lamps and rotating motorised fan and stay alive all as standard 😎

Edited by McC
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
On 24/02/2023 at 19:23, StuAllen said:

There I was reading through the pages of comments on the Class 66 announcement, and the Key Model World announcement for Calder Hall popped up on Facebook. I couldn’t resist, an Accurascale Class 31 now ordered. 

The only question is when is a Network Rail version going to be released?

Can’t go back on my word, 31285 has been ordered. How do you do it? I’ve gone from thinking no I don’t want a class 31 when they were announced to having 2 on preorder. I did like your follow up email - that’s quite a wide expected delivery window 🤣

IMG_0416.jpeg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, philg said:

Glad to see this. This information was lacking on the Deltics which meant adding our own decoders became unnecessarily complicated

AS provide a fully programmed drop in decoder, something no other manufacturer does as far as I am aware.  If you choose to go off piste, I suggest you can't really then complain.  If you found it "unnecessarily complicated" did you reach out to AS for any assistance regarding which lights are wired/mapped to which output?  If you did I'm sure the answers would have been forthcoming.

Steve

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 55020 said:

AS provide a fully programmed drop in decoder, something no other manufacturer does as far as I am aware.  If you choose to go off piste, I suggest you can't really then complain.  If you found it "unnecessarily complicated" did you reach out to AS for any assistance regarding which lights are wired/mapped to which output?  If you did I'm sure the answers would have been forthcoming.

Steve

Yes I did reach out, and the answers were incomplete. imho a DCC-ready loco should be documented such that ANY appropriate decoder can be used. I find Zimos have much better slow speed running than ESU, but in the end, I DID go with an AS ESU decoder for simplicity. For sound decoders, of course I use the AS supplied ones though

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, philg said:

Yes I did reach out, and the answers were incomplete. imho a DCC-ready loco should be documented such that ANY appropriate decoder can be used. I find Zimos have much better slow speed running than ESU, but in the end, I DID go with an AS ESU decoder for simplicity. For sound decoders, of course I use the AS supplied ones though

I'm not aware of any other manufacturer of a DCC ready loco that provides comprehensive details, mainly because most of the configuration needed is decoder specific.  Of course I could be wrong.  To list all info needed for any type of decoder fit would simply be an impossible task I suggest.

Whilst feedback allows for improvement, it does need to be couched in the correct manner for the message to be listened to and possibly acted upon.

And we're all allowed our opinion, but the same principle applies!

58 minutes ago, McC said:

Fiber optics won’t work. been there tried that. we’re working on refining as much as we can  the lamps themselves but have to strike a balance for functionality sake. We’d also never ask you to pay more. All those extra lamps and rotating motorised fan and stay alive all as standard 😎

Well Patrick, fiber optics or not, iv'e totally caved in and ordered BOTH..:0

3 minutes ago, 55020 said:

I'm not aware of any other manufacturer of a DCC ready loco that provides comprehensive details, mainly because most of the configuration needed is decoder specific.  Of course I could be wrong.  To list all info needed for any type of decoder fit would simply be an impossible task I suggest.

Whilst feedback allows for improvement, it does need to be couched in the correct manner for the message to be listened to and possibly acted upon.

And we're all allowed our opinion, but the same principle applies!

Agreed- I think we’ll have to just disagree and be on

BUT

i wasn’t asking for decoder configuration advice/info - I just needed to know WHICH AUX outputs were used for which lights. Without THAT info, getting the lights to work is pure guesswork

You’re also right that not many other manufacturers provide this information, but that doesn’t make it right. When there were only 2 or 3 lighting outputs, it hardly mattered. Now it does 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, BVMR21 said:

So with the latest announcement being due Q4 2024 I guess that means a second run is nearly ready to announce?

Hoping we see some more BR Green SYP in any case!

Blue pre TOPS WR skinhead am I asking toooooooo much. Whilst the new announcement doesn’t float my boat I must say hats off to the guys at AS for being so bold to produce them - so did I see a Warship being announced 🤦‍♂️

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, younGGuns7 said:

Blue pre TOPS WR skinhead am I asking toooooooo much. Whilst the new announcement doesn’t float my boat I must say hats off to the guys at AS for being so bold to produce them - so did I see a Warship being announced 🤦‍♂️

I’d certainly go for a TOPS skinhead. Had many a run behind 31 418 from Newcastle to Sunderland 🤪

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, younGGuns7 said:

Judging by AS previous announcements & introductions, they will make frequent releases, catering for a range of different modellers each time.
If there is 'something for me' with every other release, it will make collecting the ones I 'need' affordable.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just when I thought it couldn't get any better! I saw the exclusive announcement pop up on Facebook while at work yesterday morning & by mid afternoon 31285 had been pre-ordered. Even the very early pre production images provided of 285's spotlights made it look absolutely stunning so a sound fitted example has had my name slapped on it. So I've now got 2 31's heading my way & both are exclusives! Well done gain Accurascale you continue blowing me away.

Edited by vanbasher
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Metr0Land said:

As they used to say on Bullseye 'here's what you could have won' (Willesden area 08Aug 2000)

rev 31466 Willesden 08Aug00.jpg

You can’t beat a bit of Bully! 

• Funny 1

14 hours ago, McC said:

What ever next!.............................we'll have a version with flames coming out of the exhausts before we know it!  (EE engine of course, never saw a Mirrlees create that spectacle).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, BrushVeteran said:

What ever next!.............................we'll have a version with flames coming out of the exhausts before we know it!  (EE engine of course, never saw a Mirrlees create that spectacle).

That's because to create fire the engine actually has to be running 🤣

• Funny 9