Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

My 3D printed crew arrived the other day, and hopefully I'll have chance to fit them soon. I might make a little alteration to give the second man grey slip on shoes, as legend dictates all good thrash merchants wore! I do enjoy painting loco crews myself, and am in the long process of adding crews to all of my locos (mostly the superb ModelU products), but these colour prints are an excellent time saver, and beautifully detailed.  I can thoroughly recommend them to anyone wishing to add a bit of life to their Ped!

20241017_155627.jpg.36e645cc212cce0734e90576797437a6.jpg

20241017_155726.jpg.d583cf83d623325d6d49d3c7330a0de6.jpg

Cheers

J

Edited by JaymzHatstand
Edited to add a couple of hasty phone photos!
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, DIRTY DIESEL said:

Not sure if it could be the same issue I have, but are your points Large radius points?

Flange squeal won't work on Large Radius, but starts to work on Medium or Small radius points and on curves. Where's my class 37* will work on all points and curves, I've contacted AS support

for them to look into it for me.

*My 37 had to go back to AS to get the Flange Squeal to work when it first arrived.     

Ah, that could be it.... I do have large radius Y's and double-slips, and only 1 small radius point which I haven't tried it across yet. Plus, it's only a small layout, so perhaps I haven't got it to the right speed yet.....

Not to worry, it's only a really minor thing, that i'm not totally worried about, on an absolutely outstanding model.

• RMweb Gold

3d printed crew fitted into the no.1 end of 5544.

20241019_094751.jpg.c9744ed477b184ae12fa57761521436c.jpg

20241019_094827.jpg.32449389d6ab90c82c8ad3ab7506b178.jpg

Just the icing on the cake. Fantastic.

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have to agree with a few folk on here re the snow plough fitting on 31128. 90% of the photos I've look at on the internet show this loco fitted with snow ploughs, either the full set or just the outer ones. Plus, the location of the white pipes is above the yellow pipes and not next to them. So, after a bit of drilling and messing about I've managed to cram everything onto the buffer beam and the video below shows the set up. I haven't included the sound, as most folk on here have already heard it anyway.

I've also compared the Accurascale 31 with the Bachmann 31, and they do appear spot on with all the various grilles, size shape etc., but the Accurascale 31 is much better modelled around the side cab windows in my opinion.

Edited by Tony Walker
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
On 17/10/2024 at 23:45, Holls67 said:

I went for this loco (as well as 402 and 409) as they were ER machines in Rail Blue TOPS. Although 248 in this condition is strictly speaking before my chosen era (1978-1984ish), the quirkiness of the tablet catcher recess sold it to me. Your timescale matches what I've managed to discover on t'interweb, but I'm still searching for an approx date for the plating work. Gotta love OCD 😊 The AS Class 31 is for me the best 4mm/OO example to date. Magnificent. 

Does this help? 248 ex-works in April 1976. Headcode still alphanumeric it seems. It's a great model, I'm very pleased with mine.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, 97406 said:

As for Charybdis, it will become 31459 as it looks close enough.

I have the West Hill refurbished 31 kit on order and some transfers from Railtec.

20241019_094327.jpg.9e5415133062cc8cce3e72d74299c0eb.jpg

I'm personally contemplating on whether to get no: 31128 but have it resprayed into its former Railfreight Grey colour, which it carried before its withdrawal from BR/EWS service in the mid-1990s, but still however with its name "Charybdis", redone in red-backed BR-style nameplates!

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Fire Queen said:

I'm personally contemplating on whether to get no: 31128 but have it resprayed into its former Railfreight Grey colour, which it carried before its withdrawal from BR/EWS service in the mid-1990s, but still however with its name "Charybdis", redone in red-backed BR-style nameplates!

I did think of that but I have the Railfreight Skinhead on order and I do want a blue refurbished example too.

19 hours ago, Darius43 said:

IMG_4739.jpeg.7820d46720318f78bdb1a38400aa07b2.jpeg

image.png.3f9141abad17300958f4a2b1553ef5f3.png

I'll post this here in this thread.

You do really good photo's of your loco's (Class 31's) on your very nice layout but the photo's clearly show there is something not right with the Bachmann Class 31 face compared to Accurascale, for me the difference is quite stark as you can see above.

It's like the Bachmann 31 is looking sad or more squat and just doesn't look good with all honesty, personally I wouldn't be able to have the Bachmann 31 on the same layout alongside the Accurascale 31 which is damn spot on shape wise compared to the prototype.

Like I said, your excellent photo's expose the Bachmann 31 not in a good way.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

On 18/10/2024 at 14:53, stovepipe said:

I saw a video which said the Accurascale one was 454g for sound fitted. I haven't weighed my own...

The 530g for the Bachmann locomotive sounds typical for them.

454g (1 lb) sounds very light for an A/scale locomotive!!

If the overall package with giant box is just 700g, then I'd guess the locomotive is 550g +

Being A/Scale tbh I was expecting closer to 600g.

(I'm out of the country for a couple of weeks, whilst being advised mine is being sent / delivered!)

Al.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, atom3624 said:

If the overall package with giant box is just 700g, then I'd guess the locomotive is 550g +

(I'm out of the country for a couple of weeks, whilst being advised mine is being sent / delivered!)

Al.

The 31 is much small than a Deltic or 37 and has the fan mechanism included. 454g does not sound unreasonable and is perfectly adequate.

I am not one that subscribes to the “heavier is better” approach. As long as a loco can comfortably haul a prototypical train at a prototypical speed, the rest is unnecessary. 

Roy

• Like 2
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Al.

I've weighed mine (non-sound) - 441g.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

My DC only comes in at 435g (two scales) seems lighter for size compared to 37 as it's not that much shorter.  Also will add more weight over one end so will fill missing void as in pic below with some lead, v small flywheel.

PXL_20241019_102933952.jpg

Edited by IOW O2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

I am not one that subscribes to the “heavier is better” approach. As long as a loco can comfortably haul a prototypical train at a prototypical speed, the rest is unnecessary. 

Roy

Absolutely, excessive weight gives the packaging more work to do and increases the risk of stalling leading to a motor burnout.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, IOW O2 said:

My DC only comes in at 435g (two scales) seems lighter for size compared to 37 as it's not that much shorter.  Also will add more weight over one end so will fill missing void as in pic below with some lead, v small flywheel.

PXL_20241019_102933952.jpg

But what do you hope to gain by adding more weight? Does an unmodified 31 not achieve something that you hoped it would? Extra unnecessary weight just stresses things, as my knees will testify!

As an aside, a 31is about a scale 20mm shorter than a 37, which when considering the impact on the chassis block alone it is in the order of about 15% smaller. As for tractive effort, a real 37 has about 50% more than a 31. 

Now we have a fan mechanism as well, that weight sounds about right. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, Roy Langridge said:

But what do you hope to gain by adding more weight? Does an unmodified 31 not achieve something that you hoped it would?

Only that I weighed in after, the ACC deltic, Cav 56 and Bach current 47 and all within a couple of grams, so I thought may as well balance the 31. I do agree, my own experience is that weight for the most part makes no difference.

Edited by IOW O2

1 hour ago, atom3624 said:

Al.

Mine pulls 8 coaches no bother, so for me it doesn't need to be any heavier.

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

454g does not sound unreasonable and is perfectly adequate.

Exactly! I don't see what the fuss is about. If it does what it needs to do then it's fine.

The Bachmann 70 is the only loco I have ever had that I thought could do with being heavier to allow it to be better at its job.

• Like 2

In this video, I review my very first Accurascale model – the BR Class 31. From a DC users point of view. We’ll dive into unboxing, discuss the model's stunning details, and tackle an issue with the roof fan during DC operation.

I'll also show you a simple and effective fix for the fan that costs just 5p!

From fine detailing to lighting, testing, join me as I give my honest opinion on this highly detailed locomotive.

Is the complexity of modern DCC models leaving DC users behind? Let’s find out together. Don't miss the running session with real Class 31 sounds!

Note I express my opinion as a DC user, this is not intended to inflame anyone just saying it as I see it.

Check the video timecode index for details

• Like 6
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Talk about light the blue touch paper - wow !!!   🙃

I was curious as A/Scale locomotives do seem to be slightly heavier than 'other competitors' products' in general, hence why I asked the question.

Many thanks for the replies, however opinionated (we all have them).

The 31 was never a powerhouse - 'though upgrades to 1,600 hp may contradict that - so I do totally agree - good comment on the 'less chance of stalling'.

The Bachmann Class 70 at 450g if I remember is definitely low, as this is a 'superpower' locomotive.

Interesting discussion nevertheless.

Al.

Edited by atom3624
  • Like 1

I had the roof panel off this afternoon for a quick play with the Aux switches as I'm trying to get both tail lights on at the same time, if thats at all possible. I've got the sound version of 128, Chlamydia, for reference.

If it's not possible, I certainly won't be complaining, I'm just curious more than anything! I'm thoroughly enjoying investigating everthing this loco has to offer, and it definitely won't be the last A/S loco I invest in! I just need a couple more NYMR relevant locos (55009 as first preserved would be an absolute clincher!) There are two or three others I've got my eye, but sadly not wallet at the moment on!

I've not had chance to fit either the crew (though the second man now has a grey shoe(s)), or detail bits, but I'll get there, along with a touch of light weathering!

Cheers

J

• Funny 1

1 minute ago, JaymzHatstand said:

I had the roof panel off this afternoon for a quick play with the Aux switches as I'm trying to get both tail lights on at the same time, if thats at all possible. I've got the sound version of 128, Chlamydia, for reference.

If it's not possible, I certainly won't be complaining, I'm just curious more than anything! I'm thoroughly enjoying investigating everthing this loco has to offer, and it definitely won't be the last A/S loco I invest in! I just need a couple more NYMR relevant locos (55009 as first preserved would be an absolute clincher!) There are two or three others I've got my eye, but sadly not wallet at the moment on!

I've not had chance to fit either the crew (though the second man now has a grey shoe(s)), or detail bits, but I'll get there, along with a touch of light weathering!

Cheers

J

Would a second man be allowed slipons ? Was there no requirement fur safety shoes back then