Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

31128 over the last few years has had both 2 and 3 ploughs at both ends. From 2021, when I presume they have modelled it on, it tends to be just the two at each end. Loads of pics on Flickr if you search for "31128 2021". Looks to me like they had 3 on both ends in 2020, removed the middle piece from the exhaust end before they removed it from the fan end.

In 2024, with white rails on the end, it has had both 2 and 3 ploughs at both ends at the NYMR.

However, I'd have liked to have been able to fit all 3, so I do agree with you.

Here's mine all detailed up now:

20241018_150438.jpg.012b2549da790abe6e5fd2a47a87ce66.jpg

A few examples, all from 2020/1 (not my pics, click links for credits etc):

Rare pairing 31128 0Z31 Clay Cross 17.11.2021 Nemesis Rail Depot 31128 And 55019 Passing Hunslet In Leeds

Can identify the third as it’s just down the road.Nemesis Rail,Burton & taken from Wetmore Road bridge. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Oh hell . Finally succumbed to temptation and ordered 31 432 from Model Railways Direct , as it was one of the few that had them in stock - just one in fact .

My memory of a Ped was at Berwick upon Tweed station May 1979 . The line north was shut because of the Penmanshiel tunnel collapse  so HSTs ( my first encounter with them) and locals were turning at Berwick . I was waiting to see what was on the local expecting a 45/46/47 when in pulled 31 417 with 7 mk1s . It’s just one of these events you remember that now hopefully I can re create . 31 432 might be in slightly later condition but it doesn’t have a headcode so fine by me .

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Just making sure Are the yellow coloured pipes supposed to push in flat to the buffer beam? Or are they supposed to sit forward a little? Has they have a stepped locating pin. Don’t want get the reamer out if not needed. Plus 55 minutes to fit pipes is starting to tell on my patience. Now where’s that white pipe gone! 

IMG_0277.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, classy52 said:

Yes it is.

Max is set to 192.

Thanks for that, although i've ended up putting it on DecoderPro and doing it through there. Probably the safer option.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, IOW O2 said:

On Gaugemaster simulation controller moving off with throttle at 75 and then brake slowly released it cuts in quite slowly and only reaches full spin when brake is at 75%, by then fan is out of site anyway.  When slowing down reverse effect I like it, but really fast if on normal control.

Only in the parts diagram I used some sprung pilers on the roof handles

roof.jpg

Tip

use a wooden cocktail stick (sharp pointy end) to 'pick up' under one of the roof handles. The roof comes straight up. The added advantage being Wood is that it wont mark or scratch like pliers or small screwdrivers 😊😊👍👍😉😉😉

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 17/10/2024 at 19:39, adb968008 said:

I dont believe it is, not in preservation.

I think Charybdis is the only mainline 31 left now.

Way back in December 2016 I was booked on the NR farewell railtour from KX to MNR, which got canceled a few days earlier as apparently the class 442 stock to be used was considered out of gauge.. despite a 442 being little more than a mk3 with a driving cab… that was supposedly that.

31452 might be another, but it lives in the sidings at Great Yarmouth. As a shunter.

Hopefully there's another one coming back!

31190 which resided at the Plym Valley Railway has been bought by Nemesis Rail with a plan to return it to mainline use. (info from ex-owner).

• Like 2

Just received my class 31 - and it really does look amazing

And thanks to Accurascale for delaying shipment for me (they have a habit of finally releasing models when I'm away.....)

It does look the bees-knees, and runs beautifully - even without Magnadhesion (heck, I'm old) 😄

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Just a quick question. Has anyone managed to get the flange squeal to work on their 31? I have function 11 turned on, but i'm not hearing anything when moving through turnouts? Is there a particular speed the locomotive needs to be doing for the squeal to activate?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

Just a quick question. Has anyone managed to get the flange squeal to work on their 31? I have function 11 turned on, but i'm not hearing anything when moving through turnouts? Is there a particular speed the locomotive needs to be doing for the squeal to activate?

Works perfectly on my 31409, becomes louder after power level 3/28

T-T

• RMweb Gold
51 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

Works perfect on 31128 as soon as it moves on a curve. Changes as speed increases, a very nice feature.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Andy7 said:

Works perfect on 31128 as soon as it moves on a curve. Changes as speed increases, a very nice feature.

Strange, I'm not hearing anything.... however, I have turned the volume right down, so it could be that?

3 hours ago, Geep7 said:

Not sure if it could be the same issue I have, but are your points Large radius points?

Flange squeal won't work on Large Radius, but starts to work on Medium or Small radius points and on curves. Where's my class 37* will work on all points and curves, I've contacted AS support

for them to look into it for me.

*My 37 had to go back to AS to get the Flange Squeal to work when it first arrived.     

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

We now have the happy situation for Class 31 fans of two outstanding models up to the latest standards, and a third which if it has some issues remains a well detailed good looking model with an excellent mechanism. And for the budget conscious or those who enjoy projects there are a couple of older models which can scrub up well with some effort.

Happy days all around, 31 fans have never had it so good. I'd have thought that would cause joyous celebration. I would happily buy either of the two new Class 31 models and be delighted with either, they're both superbly done. Be happy, enjoy the hobby.

• Like 4
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Lady_Farkham said:

That looks spot on. 👌

I'm doing something a bit different with my 409. I'm so impressed by the AC 31 I've bought 432 as well.

I actually managed to weather it (using enamels) without removing any of the tampo printed details for once. Looking forward to seeing what you do with 409.

My 432 is back with the guys having an issue looked at, so next I’ll turn my attention to 31128 which really needs to be in a late 80s guise so it’ll get ETH, methinks.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 2