Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, alastairb said:

I've not bought a Class 31 as they never ran to Kyle of Lochalsh. However, if I had bought one of the 2 affected locos, it wouldn't bother me as I renumber nearly all of the ones I buy to match locos I saw in my 70s youth. 

D5511 was allocated to Inverness in 1958 on test.

its been documented at both Mallaig and Wick..so Kyle is a very strong probability.

This ones straying close to the Far North too…

https://flic.kr/p/cmg6M3

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Renumbering…

Ive just used a cocktail stick and a pencil eraser to remove the number off my 31432 in under 3 minutes..

IMG_0100.jpeg.c2aab90f09fe37d4cdc7bbf15ee5e7d8.jpeg

No chemicals required, just a cocktails stick, rubber and a clean brush to blow away the dirt.

A 3 minute realtime video of scratching (and a bit of grunting as I didnt realise I was over the mic ) here.. note the 20 second pause as I couldnt find anything in my newly rearranged toolbox..

New numbers go on tomorrow… if I can make my mind up what to put on.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, russ p said:

Whilst I'm not happy when you reverse it it dumps the brake and AWS sounds which would mean the driver was instantly at the other end

Please note from a long time driver when you reverse the loco during shunting nothing happens other than a charge in direction 

Having said that it's an absolutely outstanding model here are some pictures of 5544 in its indigenous surroundings of late 60s norfolk 

20241016_182012.jpg

20241016_175205.jpg

20241016_175225.jpg

20241016_174902.jpg

20241016_175135.jpg

Lovely layout that 👍

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi Midlandred,

Unfortunately we do not have spraying facilities or a tampo printing machine in our workshop. To correct it, all models would have to be disassembled, including breaking all glue on bodies for separate parts, repainted, dried in an oven, then re tampo printed. It’s not a simple process to refinish over 1000 locos to a factory professional standard.

Cheers!

Fran

Hi Fran,

I was thinking more a simple renumbering of each - hopefully if owners do this, as suggested further back in the thread, the lifetime warranty wouldn’t be affected (although if all 1000+ chose to do it rather quickly, it would keep the aftermarket transfer sellers extremely busy, if not overwhelmed temporarily ……)

3 hours ago, alastairb said:

I've not bought a Class 31 as they never ran to Kyle of Lochalsh. However, if I had bought one of the 2 affected locos, it wouldn't bother me as I renumber nearly all of the ones I buy to match locos I saw in my 70s youth. 

If I wanted the specific 31 that was the subject of the mistake, then renumbering Accurascale locos is easy - carefully remove the entire number with white spirit on a microbush. Replace with a @railtec-models custom number ( a whole £1.50 + pp) and apply a little varnish.

The alternative you suggest, rerun the production run of bodies for 2 SKUs, would be an expensive proposition for a small company. Moreover, it would take months if not years (production slots take time to arrange / deliver), and it would be logistically complex to manage the delivery process to those who wanted them (which would not be everyone who had bought one). The net result would be a major diversion of financial and management resource within Accurascale,  which would inevitably lead to delays and possibly cancellations of future projects. Personally I would prefer them to focus on delivering them - not pandering to those who can't live with the error, but who won't carry out a simple (and enjoyable for me) modelling task to correct it.

That all said, I can see some will be disappointed by the mistake - IMHO a small credit towards future purchases with Accurascale would be an appropriate gesture for those affected.

Hello,
    It looks as though the answer to the question of replacement bodies is "no" although to be fair Accurascale have not answered directly. Firstly, I just like to point out that I'm not a habitual complainer and do feel for manufacturers when things like this happen. However, as other companies have made alternative bodies available I think that when the response to a manufacturers own QC error is to say "they are easy to renumber" it's a little poor. I could renumber it but apparently there are also issues with the tripcock detail ? If, eg Hornby, was to make a similar response I think you'd hear the complaining from outer-space ! I have lots of Accurascale wagons/coaches and find them universally excellent, however I am a little sensitised to Accurascale locos as I have spent a considerable amount on Deltics with vibrating/buzzing speakers, derailing class 37s with sound cutting out (I know this is fixable by turning down the volume) and Manors with sound that appears to my ears to be inferior to the competition. Sadly, I think I'll cancel my existing pre-orders and invest in Bachmann 31s and Cavalex class 60s when they appear.                                                                                        

Dave

• Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

53 minutes ago, bmb5dnp1 said:

Hello,
    It looks as though the answer to the question of replacement bodies is "no" although to be fair Accurascale have not answered directly. Firstly, I just like to point out that I'm not a habitual complainer and do feel for manufacturers when things like this happen. However, as other companies have made alternative bodies available I think that when the response to a manufacturers own QC error is to say "they are easy to renumber" it's a little poor. I could renumber it but apparently there are also issues with the tripcock detail ? If, eg Hornby, was to make a similar response I think you'd hear the complaining from outer-space ! I have lots of Accurascale wagons/coaches and find them universally excellent, however I am a little sensitised to Accurascale locos as I have spent a considerable amount on Deltics with vibrating/buzzing speakers, derailing class 37s with sound cutting out (I know this is fixable by turning down the volume) and Manors with sound that appears to my ears to be inferior to the competition. Sadly, I think I'll cancel my existing pre-orders and invest in Bachmann 31s and Cavalex class 60s when they appear.                                                                                        

Dave

While Bachmann did offer replacement bodies for the blue 2 EPBs, Dapol had several fairly major bloopers over the years and offered ... nothing! With the DRS class 68s with displaced printing on one side, they offered replacement bodies, but at a substantial cost to the customer. For the class 73 first run with badly designed PCB and lighting circuits, they offered nothing at all (the cab lights were permanently on, and when fitted with a DCC decoder, the headlights and tail lights worked at the wrong ends). Their very unsatisfactory solution was to tell customers to put some insulating tape over the cab light contacts.

What I would suggest is that for those who have difficulties with the renumbering, perhaps Accurascale could offer a set of number transfers of the correct style to allow those affected to replace the complete cabside numbers. As someone else pointed out, it isn't always easy to match one single number to the rest.

The latter is only intended as a suggestion for Accurascale to consider. It still relies on the customer to do the number removal (not that difficult), and apply the new numbers in a straight line (use masking tape as a guideline), and would be much, much less expensive than suppling whole replacement decorated bodies.

The AS 31248 appears to be in a configuration that had only a very small time stamp. TOPS numbered in BR Blue (OK so far), Trip Cock fitted, Alphanumeric headcode, non-plated bodyside steps and roof water filler. From what photos and gen I can find, "Dominos" and plating were in place by 1976. Can anybody shed further light on this for me please?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, BrakeCoach said:

Now, has anyone challenged themselves to popping off the communication doors? Modelling those seems easier with Accurascale ones since its actually separately made and glued on.

I gave one a little push but bottled it. I'm musing over backdating Charybdis and turning it into a refurbished 31/4 with a little help from a West Hill Wagon Works kit and it will make it easier to remove the headlight. 31459 may be an option retaining the headlamp and orange stripe...

31459 at rugby

Trevor Plackett's Flickr page

Bescot, 15 April 1993

Kevin on Flickr

• Like 7

6 hours ago, adb968008 said:

D5511 was allocated to Inverness in 1958 on test.

its been documented at both Mallaig and Wick..so Kyle is a very strong probability.

This ones straying close to the Far North too…

https://flic.kr/p/cmg6M3

Yes I recall that being mentioned in one of the 31 threads. However my model is set in the 70s/80s when we went to the Kyle area on family holidays.

6 hours ago, bmb5dnp1 said:

However, as other companies have made alternative bodies available

The thing there is, do we know if those other companies have paid for the bodies out of their own pocket? I.e. if the factory screws up then the "manufacturer" can lean on them to sort it out. If it's the "manufacturer" at fault then they are likely to be paying for it. Two completely different scenarios.

Oddle enough, this came up on the Hornby 800 thread yesterday.

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

The thing there is, do we know if those other companies have paid for the bodies out of their own pocket? I.e. if the factory screws up then the "manufacturer" can lean on them to sort it out. If it's the "manufacturer" at fault then they are likely to be paying for it. Two completely different scenarios.

Oddle enough, this came up on the Hornby 800 thread yesterday.

You’ll never know I guess, it’ll be subject to some legal agreement .

• Accurascale staff
7 hours ago, bmb5dnp1 said:

Hello,

Dave

Hi Dave

If you have been impacted by anything on your list there are many simple fixes we can undertake for you under the lifetime warranty. Simply get in touch with support and we will genuinely do all we can to satisfy you. On the subject of rooves no one from

accurascale has said ‘yes, no or change numbers’ just get in touch and we can better understand peoples needs. 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

I ran in my 31432 last night- at what point does the roof fan kick in as at no point did I see it run and it was on the rolling road for an hour. I did just go on the accurascale website to check it should work on Dc which it states it should. So unless anything has changed in the spec when should it run?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Any small errors on the A/S 31 are insignificant compared to the errors around the screens and cab fronts on the alternatives. I really do not understand why some people get so heated up. As per an earlier post, 31409 had the rad fan grille cowl for at least part of its time in blue with white stripe so that will do for me.

The A/S support is exemplary so just contact support! I have with one of mine and it’s being taken care of.

• Like 6
  • Agree 10

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, russ p said:

Whilst I'm not happy when you reverse it it dumps the brake and AWS sounds which would mean the driver was instantly at the other end

You've got to remember that the driver is 76.2 times faster in OO. 😉

• Funny 8

• Accurascale staff
1 hour ago, Markwj said:

I ran in my 31432 last night- at what point does the roof fan kick in as at no point did I see it run and it was on the rolling road for an hour. I did just go on the accurascale website to check it should work on Dc which it states it should. So unless anything has changed in the spec when should it run?

Toggle switch number seven on the DC blanking plate to allow the fan to run on DC generally, we recommend running only slowly or when shunting on DC as at speed the fan will simply be at full throttle. Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, SRman said:

With the DRS class 68s with displaced printing on one side, they offered replacement bodies, but at a substantial cost to the customer.

Not sure that is accurate, here's a quote from the actual email regarding the replacement bodyshells:

"Postage costs are: £4.50 for up to 3 bodyshells"

There was also the cost of posting the defective body back, so all in well under £10. Dapol outsourced the logistics to their spares and repairs contractor, DCC Supplies.

Looking forward to my sound fitted RF 31 arriving soon.

Edited by ruggedpeak
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

10 minutes ago, ruggedpeak said:

Not sure that is accurate, here's a quote from the actual email regarding the replacement bodyshells:

"Postage costs are: £4.50 for up to 3 bodyshells"

There was also the cost of posting the defective body back, so all in well under £10. Dapol outsourced the logistics to their spares and repairs contractor, DCC Supplies.

Looking forward to my sound fitted RF 31 arriving soon.

Nearer £30 to 40 from here in Australia. So yes, substantial for those outside the UK.

12 hours ago, classy52 said:

Well done Accurascale, another outstanding model and my first ever Class 31.

Had it hooked up to the Lokprogrammer and set the base to 28 & treble to 22 for starters thus further enhancing this excellent sound file & output...love the cold start!

20241016_213918[1].jpg

20241016_214138[1].jpg

20241016_214210[1].jpg

Now, about the packaging...

Hi Classy,

What CVs numbers are those please?

I did try the same CV numbers that was on the AS class 37 but all It would read was 0000.

I was using my NCE Power Cab programme track and assumed I’d the wrong CVs or couldn’t change the Base/treble etc.

Thanks

Stu

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DIRTY DIESEL said:

Hi Classy,

I did try the same CV numbers that was on the AS class 37 but all It would read was 0000.

I was using my NCE Power Cab programme track and assumed I’d the wrong CVs or couldn’t change the Base/treble etc.

Thanks

Stu

ESU LokSound 5 CVs for bass and treble are: CV196 for bass, CV197 for treble.

• Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

13 minutes ago, DIRTY DIESEL said:

Hi Classy,

Thanks

Stu

Trust me you won't regret it, the decoder/sound file married up with the Accurathrash speaker really brings the best out of the Class 31 sound when you up the ante and this is where Accurascale excel over all the competition, nobody else comes anywhere near for sound.

Would be interesting to know what your optimal level will be for bass & treble and from anybody else on here who have a play and compare notes.

9 minutes ago, SRman said:

ESU LokSound 5 CVs for bass and treble are: CV196 for bass, CV197 for treble.

Thanks for that, you got in before me thus appreciated.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, bmb5dnp1 said:

Hello,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Coming from someone who understands your frustration, believe me I do, I wouldn't cancel your Accurascale pre-orders for the 31 or 60 or especially the Class 31 because the one I got yesterday is simply outstanding in every way and will bring a smile to your face, the model has been impeccable straight out of the box and that sound with the cold start...just wow.

I don't own a Bachmann 31 and never will, but based on all previous posts by the experts in this forum I feel the Accurascale model wins hands down in fidelity, accuracy and sound and that's just based on my untrained eye and someone who doesn't know a lot about the 31's apart from I needed a preserved/current mainline certified variant.

Previously I've had issues with the earlier 37's such as amp spikes causing slow down/speed ups which were rectified and issues with 92's with the same & panto's not working but again rectified and they are now purring along with their gorgeous prototypical sounds and don't forget they all still have the Lifetime Warranty.

Now recently I had issues with my new Class 66's with sound vibration/resonation which had been well documented in the Class 66 thread but all sent back for investigation and now all rectified and again purring away with that beefy Class 66 sound and yes all these Accurascale loco's do bring a smile to my face every time I run them.

Like I said, my latest addition the Class 31 is impeccable straight out of the box with no bits missing or fallen off and just rock solid in every way, it literally crawled prototypically on speed step 1 without being run in!

I think Accurascale are absolutely getting better and better with every new tooled loco and would seriously reconsider your decision to cancel pre-orders or not purchase their loco's anymore, there have been speed bumps along the way which I have personally encountered but the road ahead appears to be very smooth.

Cheers

Steve

• Like 8
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1