Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

Did anyone notice on Stovepipe's image of 5831 (just above), that the loco has lost it's lower left front step pocket? That shows how variations creep in, probably a new plain panel after a prang, and the loco is only about ten years old. They are not all the same.   BK

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Fire Queen said:

Like I say, I'm glad I held off. Although to be fair, their newly-tooled version of the Class 25 is a decent enough model, I already have no: 25057 (which will become 25059)!  

I'm actually waiting for when Accurascale to do a second run here and I'm also hoping that a lot of the locos from the old Lima range (which I always wanted to have when I was 12/13 but never did!) will also resurface!

Lima picked the right ones…. But then with releases every two weeks they picked all of them!

Until now the class 31 is my only substantially all Lima fleet still remaining.

But do agree greats like D5568/31116/31327/31410/31423/31439/31568 but others like 31101/31146/31147/31232/31242/31408/31545 would be nice.

it hasnt passed my notice how quickly 31432 sold out yesterday… weve been starved of a plated over headcode box blue 31 since last century… How Hornby missed the basics is beyond me… another one, with the headlight in the offset below drivers window position next would be good.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, shunny said:

The one thing I am not sure about is those roof panels handles , they should be practically flush but on some pictures/angles they look like an extra set of handrails on the roof. Will these be amended on the next batches as I remember a while back accurascale stating they had asked factory to make them more flush?

As I posted up thread, they look absolutely perfect in the flesh. 

Roy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Lima picked the right ones…. But then with releases every two weeks they picked all of them!

Until now the class 31 is my only substantially all Lima fleet still remaining.

But do agree greats like D5568/31116/31327/31410/31423/31439/31568 but others like 31101/31146/31147/31232/31242/31408/31545 would be nice.

it hasnt passed my notice how quickly 31432 sold out yesterday… weve been starved of a plated over headcode box blue 31 since last century… How Hornby missed the basics is beyond me… another one, with the headlight in the offset below drivers window position next would be good.

I just noticed that as well, wow I was thinking of getting one, but as that has now sold out 128 may be the one to get and backdate into a /1 or /2

NL

On 09/10/2024 at 15:36, Mark C said:

Me too...I suspect my Rails' Class 31 will arrive before my three from AS!!

Due for delivery today! 

I'm sure AS use either DHL or DPD who are both fairly efficient generally.  It depends on how busy the packing people are. 

• Like 1

• Administrators
20 minutes ago, DLIBOD17 said:

The lower bufferbeam cowling was partially masking the holes for the two pipes adjacent each buffer but I managed to fit them 🙏👍🏻

Well done; much swearing when I did it!

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Does the bufferbeam come off on the 31?  When fitting the detailing pack I found it much easier once I removed the bufferbeam from my 37s & 55s.

Steve

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I was looking for a little more information on the 31s fitted with the LU trip cock gear. Can I assume these also worked on other routes around the network, or was that their only allocation into central London?

Edited by zr2498

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

Not seen an AS alongside a Hornby one yet - that'll be a interesting "comparison" as the AS loco is streets ahead but be interesting to see how the Hornby version stands up.

If time permits tonight when I get home I’ll try to take some photos. 

Edit: by the time I got in last night there was no time. Will try tonight but spending my days at the hospice with my Mum at the moment, and playing trains come second. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

Due for delivery today! 

I'm sure AS use either DHL or DPD who are both fairly efficient generally.  It depends on how busy the packing people are. 

Ha!  Rails (today) beat AS (due tomorrow) by 24 hours...but I'm not complaining: I think I'd pass out with four in front of me (it's taken hours to appreciate just one)!!  Living in the Stevenage-Hitchin-Letchworth corridor (almost) all my life I feel I'm in a time machine!!

• Like 5

11 minutes ago, Mark C said:

Ha!  Rails (today) beat AS (due tomorrow) by 24 hours...but I'm not complaining: I think I'd pass out with four in front of me (it's taken hours to appreciate just one)!!  Living in the Stevenage-Hitchin-Letchworth corridor (almost) all my life I feel I'm in a time machine!!

You just need some mk1 suburbans. I'll start getting some certainly.  I'm sure there'll be more runs of them. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Markwj said:

Had notification of mine being shipped today- do DHL deliver Saturday or will I have to wait until Monday does anyone know?

Same for me, working tonight so I won’t complain if it’s Monday but would love to finally see the beast tomorrow!! 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Evil Bus Driver said:

You just need some mk1 suburbans. I'll start getting some certainly.  I'm sure there'll be more runs of them. 

I'm trying to resist, but slowly failing - they weren't associated with Norfolk - where my 31s are destined to ply their trade and more suited to B/G corridor Mk.1s, grain wagons etc - but resistance is futile, I know!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Accurascale staff
2 hours ago, zr2498 said:

I was looking for a little more information on the 31s fitted with the LU trip cock gear. Can I assume these also worked on other routes around the network, or was that their only allocation into central London?

Hi @zr2498,

61 locos were so fitted, they were allocated almost everywhere, including the Midlands and East Anglia, and non-London depots on the Eastern and Western regions. 

they got about!

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @zr2498,

61 locos were so fitted, they were allocated almost everywhere, including the Midlands and East Anglia, and non-London depots on the Eastern and Western regions. 

they got about!

Cheers!

Fran

Thanks for the info Fran 👍

Still happy with the two 30s that are on their way. And sound decoders to go with them.

I don't model the blue era, but 'what the heck', placed an order for 5544, after seeing and hearing the 31 in this clip:

Stunning!

Now more decisions re the blue suburbans

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @zr2498,

they got about!

Cheers!

Fran

They were allocated at various places, but the actual trip cock was removed on the majority that weren't allocated to Finsbury Park. The trip cock was often isolated on FP locos not required to work over LT etc.

• Informative/Useful 4

6 hours ago, zr2498 said:

You could amuse yourself for an evening or so, as I frequently do, by going to

https://brdatabase.info/locomotives.php?loconum=D5615 , either substituting in the URL the loco number of interest,

or using the site's search box. I use it to select candidates which spent the longest timespans on the GN.

The Nim.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Managed to buy a 31432 when the remaining stocks were released on the Accurascale website Thursday lunch time. Sold out by 3pm. Just waiting for it to arrive.  Not surprised this was so popular, for the sectorisation period these locos appeared on anything from local trip workings, engineers trains to class 1 express and Parcels trains. 

Looking forward to BR Mainline Executive and Dutch Civil Engineers liveries.

From all the photos it’s the best representation of a Class 31 yet. I was not convinced by the Bachmann 31 from the off. Indeed see my blog post from March this year when I saw the pre production models in Bachmann display at York MRS.  Indeed the Farish 31 didn’t quite capture the cab area, but in 2mm scale it’s not so apparent. I’d imagine the CAD models from the Farish model form the basis for the 4mm version. 

If possible could someone take some comparison photos with the Hornby Super Detailed 31?  Particularly the cab fronts side by side. 

Edited by richierich
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, richierich said:

... snipped ...

If possible could someone take some comparison photos with the Hornby Super Detailed 31?  Particularly the cab fronts side by side. 

I will be able to do that once my Accurascale model arrives here in Australia - it's on its way at present. I don't have any Bachmann ones on order, but others have covered the side by side comparisons with those.

17 hours ago, 55020 said:

Does the bufferbeam come off on the 31?  When fitting the detailing pack I found it much easier once I removed the bufferbeam from my 37s & 55s.

Steve

Nope.

They are a nightmare to fit. 

So best get your pin chuck out and ready to work.

Like yourself i  found the Deltic  to be so easy.

Like Mr York says,  plenty of swearing.  (Ho and i lost a steam heat pipe to the carpet monster)

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, 45125 said:

They were allocated at various places, but the actual trip cock was removed on the majority that weren't allocated to Finsbury Park. The trip cock was often isolated on FP locos not required to work over LT etc.

In lieu of a proper East Anglian example from A/S, is it possible to remove the trip cock detailing bits from the locos ? 

I'm waiting on the GSYP versions for an East Anglian project. Though I don't class myself as a rivet counter bore, this is making me wary of acquiring one until Accurascale do release a bone fide East Anglian based loco, as in a GSYP  one but without the trip cock malarkey. 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581