Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

Mine arrived this morning, will be giving it a spin tomorrow.

Looks superb except for the mysterious holes in the bogies.  Not sure whats happened there, as I’ve yet to find any photographic evidence for these on the real thing.

Chris

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, MidlandRed said:

Is it possible to get an ETA on green fye, BR symbol D5803 @Accurascale Fran - frothing has begun here, not assisted by the website showing it as incoming stock 😀

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/forums/topic/170549-class-31-by-accurascale-its-time-2-brush-up/?do=findComment&comment=5634209

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, MidlandRed said:

Is it possible to get an ETA on green fye, BR symbol D5803 @Accurascale Fran - frothing has begun here, not assisted by the website showing it as incoming stock 😀

Soon, but not soon enough..... 😀

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Thank you @AY Mod - I have seen that post but as the website (Accurascale’s) has been showing that particular model along with the blue ones as incoming stock (still is for D5803), I had wondered whether it was in advance of the others, hence seeking clarification. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction to where this part should go ?

found it resting up the side of my class 31 on opening ??

any help or an idea would be really good of someone  🙏IMG_8759.jpeg.cecc457ba254d19718511241d63003ca.jpegIMG_8760.jpeg.0b638b9abf56546d3d3a98d9dce56635.jpeg

Edited by Krieghoff

• RMweb Gold

Very pleased with mine, the same 2 as Darius’s. It’s the Peddest looking Ped in existence and I have 2 more on the way.

20241010_201257.jpg.f52ff29baa7d0cd431653dd5686ee2de.jpg

I could do with a couple of configured decoders as I can’t get the lights to work properly with some spare boggo LaisDCC decoders despite setting the dip switches. The lights work OK on DC. Can the Accurascale team give an idea of when some more are due in as they are sold out on the website?

Edit to add, early BR DCC upgrade bundles are available to preorder from the website so plumped for a couple of these. Decoder and crew. May sell the crew on or just stick ‘em in.

Alternatively, can one of you good people recommend a decoder/config to give me basic lights for the time being?

Edit to add, I have now got just the headcode panel lights working directionally. This was accomplished using the non-ESU decoder setting with the addition of switch 1 in the on position (so 1, 2, 4 and 6 on). Before they did come on, but I had a single tail lamp on each end permanently lit. That will do until I get a proper ESU decoder.

So job a good’un as they say! 🙂

Edited by 97406
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone managed to change the headcodes yet?

I thought it might be the same as the 37 and Deltic, remove the body - which was nice and easy - and push them out from within but they're covered by the lighting block.

I tentatively tried to ease them out from the front, tried sellotape and then gently prising with a scalpel blade but they're firmly in there.

Any hints or tips would be very much appreciated

• Informative/Useful 1

I've been thoroughly enjoying testing 128, I've adjusted CV63 to bring the noise down a bit (it was running in upstairs, and I could hear it over the noise of the washing machine while I was downstairs, next to it!) 

VideoCapture_20241009-093858.jpg.ce72c5dbbc5bbd52ba2443337730528c.jpg

Now that running in has been satisfactorily completed, it's time for detailing and a bit of weathering (128 has been worked pretty hard on the Moors!) I've had a quick look at the detail bag, and would like some advice on how to fit the 3-part ploughs as the instructions aren't clear, and the link didn't provide much assistance.

I'm not fully versed in how DCC works, so this is probably a newbie question, but how do I alter the Auxiliary functions to get twin tail lights on? I've tried an interweb search and not found anything that helps. I'm using an NCE Powercab.

Cheers

J

• Like 3

The one thing I am not sure about is those roof panels handles , they should be practically flush but on some pictures/angles they look like an extra set of handrails on the roof. Will these be amended on the next batches as I remember a while back accurascale stating they had asked factory to make them more flush?

1 minute ago, shunny said:

The one thing I am not sure about is those roof panels handles , they should be practically flush but on some pictures/angles they look like an extra set of handrails on the roof. Will these be amended on the next batches as I remember a while back accurascale stating they had asked factory to make them more flush?

These don't look very flush to me.

I've chosen the livery as the light grey highlights the handles.

Photo from North Norfolk Railway site

image.png.d6bdd72ff42b5a807d5cdf4af739c755.png

Al.

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

On 09/10/2024 at 16:19, Kirby Uncoupler said:

Just to confirm, I only have Bachy examples so far to hand, my Accura headcode box comment was based on the head-on close-up pic, provided on a page or two back, especially the "unexpanded" image version on repeat quotations, which highlighted the top half of the cabs.  I bet the domino white dots varied in spacing too. Out of over 200 Class 31s with 400plus headcode boxes (i.e. not the Skinheads), there's bound to be some variation creeping in? For example, some  BR DMUs had different shape headcode boxes, even within the same class, like Class 117, some were curved-top, some were flat-top, so maybe not all loco roof-boxes were the same? I like to keep an open mind.

Cheers, Brian.

Re the variations in shape/curvature etc, don't forget brush 2s over the years have many visits to both Doncaster and Stratford for accident damage, so there is bound to slight variations in areas around the cab. Some of which maybe down to the way drawings are interpreted by individuals.

As to Rail blue it varies a bit from batch to batch (having used the stuff it can vary quite a bit), and did alter mid 80s. Also some of it was formulated for airless spraying and if brushed would be slightly different. Most paint shops would mix several tins up when painting a loco to get a consistent colour.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, shunny said:

Handles match the prototype as far as I can see and why would a handle be flush? Seems to defeat the object!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

Well the revised hourly Oxford - Southampton via Newbury service using ex-FP 31/4's with Mk2a/b's will now commence operation as planned from the Autumn timetable change - shame to see the "Hymeks" & Mk1's get displaced but I'm sure there'll be unavailability issues that will see a couple of Hymeks' retained to deputise / rescue ........................  👍

My twop'worth

The Bachmann version is very, very good - but the AS version is just superb.

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, shunny said:

If you look at this image there no sticking up handles on the centre roof panels.17286377484376078911827350925318.jpg.0220e2ab6d3cba43c01e2e67d16f1272.jpg

Plenty of others where they can be seen.

31284_at_Saltley_on_25th_April_1987.jpg

• Like 7
  • Agree 4

1 hour ago, Melton Works said:

So glad I sold the Bachmann version, this was really inferior compared to the Accurascale version. Now ordered another 👍

Like I say, I'm glad I held off. Although to be fair, their newly-tooled version of the Class 25 is a decent enough model, I already have no: 25057 (which will become 25059)!  

I'm actually waiting for when Accurascale to do a second run here and I'm also hoping that a lot of the locos from the old Lima range (which I always wanted to have when I was 12/13 but never did!) will also resurface!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1