Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

• RMweb Premium

Just recieved my 31409 white stripe version.

Absolutely superb!

No loose parts, no faults whatsoever.

I'm glad I held off the Bachmann version too. 

The AS version just looks 'finer' as I knew it would. 

Looking forward to my Rail Freight skinhead. I'll probably end up with 4 or 5 of these.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, aureol40012 said:

And side on.

Interesting the different takes on 70s BR blue……

IMG_0287.jpeg

I prefer the LHS - black wipers.

Windows are a better fit, buffers finer.

Which blue .... good question, can't decide.

Al.

• RMweb Gold

Is it me, or are the Accurascale headcode panels see through, rather than black?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

I prefer the LHS - black wipers.

Windows are a better fit, buffers finer.

Which blue .... good question, can't decide.

Al.

Any difference in blue will depend heavily on the colour temperature of the lighting used to view the models (ignoring differing individuals' colour perception)

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
23 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

Is it me, or are the Accurascale headcode panels see through, rather than black?

I thought that too, but I think it's just the light reflecting off the glossy surface of the black 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

And side on.

IMG_0287.jpeg

Anyone got some similar photos of the real thing?

I think both look a bit odd to me. The one on the left looks flat above the windows by the headcode box and front doesn't seem flat enough. Then the one on the right front window looks a bit forward and angles seem off so not enough yellow is showing at the front. 

Maybe it's the camera as I can see distortion in both shots.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gary H said:

Just received my 31409 white stripe version.

Absolutely superb!

No loose parts, no faults whatsoever.

I'm glad I held off the Bachmann version too. 

The AS version just looks 'finer' as I knew it would. 

Looking forward to my Rail Freight skinhead. I'll probably end up with 4 or 5 of these.

I have to agree. I was contemplating on getting the one of the Bachmann Petroleum Sector-livered examples but now I think I will hold out until Accurascale do a second run with the class, which hopefully should include one such example. I also notice the slight difference in height from both those front and side-on pictures. 

Anyhow, I already have the special edition Coal-Sector example from Key Model World (no: 31276 "Calder Hall Power Station") on preorder! 

Edited by Fire Queen
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, dj_crisp said:

Quick question... if the door is closed shouldn't the handle be horizontal? 

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Edited by 97406
  • Like 4

The frames around the windows are too thick on the Bachmann one, especially at the top butting up to the roof and the details are more refined on the Accurascale one, so there’s a clear winner for me.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Playing “spot the difference”.

22316749-6BC3-45DE-80D4-9F4C5498046E.jpeg

The Accurascale 31, has better rendered details such as the nose door seem, and tail lights, even the footstep recesses .

The Bachmann model however, seems to be more "rounded" could be the camera angle. The footstep holes are wider also, and the details arnt as pronounced. The headcode box also on the Bachmann model looks squashed. Not trying to be biased here, but definitely glad ordered the Accurascale model

NL

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

And side on.

IMG_0287.jpeg

The angle and width of the front pillar and window on the Bachmann version looks wrong after looking at many photos of the prototype.

The Accurascale version looks spot on 👍

Looking forward to mine arriving soon.

T-T

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, tinsley-toton said:

The angle and width of the front pillar and window on the Bachmann version looks wrong after looking at many photos of the prototype.

The Accurascale version looks spot on 👍

Looking forward to mine arriving soon.

T-T

its a bit unfair as they are not the same ( i want to say aspect) but i dont think thats the right word, the position of the picture exaggerates the Bachmann error...it does look like an error but i dont think that picture is at the best angle.

Controversially....id say the accurascale yellow extends too far back....where as the Bachmann doesn't extend far back enough and this also exaggerates the perceived error on the Bachmann one

if you look at this image

https://www.class31.co.uk/picture/t31409york.jpg

you can see that it does not go around the bottom right corner of the window...but if you look at various pictures you can see why its been interpreted like that on the accurascale model because the ridge around the cab tricks you into thinking that it extends round if you look from below, the Bachmann one doesn't go far enough and the giveaway is the rivet i would say it needs to go flush with the rivet rather than before on the Bachmann and after on the accurascale, the issue is though as i badly tried to explain is that its exaggerates the issue of the Bachmann model

Edited by pheaton
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

41 minutes ago, pheaton said:

Have you got a Hornby one to complete the picture :)

Sold them as soon as these were announced, so I’ve been without goyle for 2 and a half years, and then two turn up at once!

Edited by aureol40012

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, aureol40012 said:

Playing “spot the difference”.

22316749-6BC3-45DE-80D4-9F4C5498046E.jpeg

This I find very interesting. Both models claim to be the absolute last word in fidelity and a perfect scale reproduction of a class 31. But to my eye they are distinctly different. The Bachmann model on the right looks squatter. It looks wider across the front and shorter, the bufferbeams look at the same height, but the Bachmann cab windscreens are lower. In fact everything on the Accurascale model looks a wee bit taller than the Bachmann, and the whole model is taller. Could be the angle the photo is at, and the lense properties. It would be very interesting to run the callipers over a pair of models and make comparisons. I have 2 Accurascale 31s on order, and I might buy a Bachmann collector's club WCRC 31, so maybe in the future I will. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, pheaton said:

its a bit unfair as they are not the same ( i want to say aspect) but i dont think thats the right word, the position of the picture exaggerates the Bachmann error...it does look like an error but i dont think that picture is at the best angle.

Controversially....id say the accurascale yellow extends too far back....where as the Bachmann doesn't extend far back enough and this also exaggerates the perceived error on the Bachmann one

if you look at this image

https://www.class31.co.uk/picture/t31409york.jpg

you can see that it does not go around the bottom right corner of the window...but if you look at various pictures you can see why its been interpreted like that on the accurascale model because the ridge around the cab tricks you into thinking that it extends round if you look from below, the Bachmann one doesn't go far enough and the giveaway is the rivet i would say it needs to go flush with the rivet rather than before on the Bachmann and after on the accurascale, the issue is though as i badly tried to explain is that its exaggerates the issue of the Bachmann model

The yellow on the Accurascale one looks to start from about the right point on the radius of the window rubber. After looking at loads of photos that are square on, most have the yellow starting just as the radius on the rubber ends, there are odd ones that start before the radius ends.

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I had my despatch email today so hopefully I will have 4 Brush 2s tomorrow, 2 AS and 2 Bachmann, will be very interesting to put all four together.

Andi 

Edited by Dagworth
typo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Mine arrived yesterday, but I've only had chance for a quick look, and I have to say that it really looks the absolute business! I'm thoroughly looking forward to getting it onto the track which might be a brief run this morning, failing that, it'll be Friday until my room is alive to the sound of Brian!

I've got a crew on order as well, so they'll go in once they arrive, and I've had a good old play/test! Hopefully one evening this weekend will see the etched plates fitted and the other details added.

20241008_194652.jpg.f9178420d66276ce60b48f1e495dbbdc.jpg

I can honestly say that this was worth the wait, and that's before I've run/heard it!

Well done Accurascale!

Cheers

J

Edited by JaymzHatstand
Edited to add photo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Dicky L said:

31432 a new arrival at Chesborough Junction today

IMG_4352.jpeg

Looks like it’s about to back onto its coaches to take the club train to Blackpool north.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1