Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

It’s a shame they haven’t done possibly the most prolific 31 in the first batch - the 31/1 with dominos in blue .

Blue box are the only show in town for that variant at present 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

Just ordered the sound decoder for Class 30. Does anyone know if the Accurathrash speaker for the 31, and intended for the 30 (bundle), is 8 ohms or 4 ohms?

• Accurascale staff
1 hour ago, zr2498 said:

Just ordered the sound decoder for Class 30. Does anyone know if the Accurathrash speaker for the 31, and intended for the 30 (bundle), is 8 ohms or 4 ohms?

8 is the default for current LokSound V5.

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

19 minutes ago, McC said:

8 is the default for current LokSound V5.

Actually their instructions say

A class D audio power amplifier with up to 3W output power feeds the speakers with a permitted impedance of 4 – 32 Ohms.

• Accurascale staff
5 minutes ago, philg said:

For clarity, 8 Ohm accurathrash, in conjunction with the build in iPad type speaker with our ESU PCB's on our locos, and the current generation of lok5, is the default, 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

46 minutes ago, philg said:

A class D audio power amplifier with up to 3W output power feeds the speakers with a permitted impedance of 4 – 32 Ohms.

The problem comes when you wire 2 speakers in parallel (as Accurascale does). The iPad speaker built into every model is 8 Ohm so if you wire in a 4 Ohm speaker in parallel then the resistance drops to 2.67 Ohms (below ESU spec). Original Accurathrash speakers were 4 Ohms which caused a few issues in early loco batches (I had it with class 92). The move to 8Ohm Accurathrash in parallel with the inbuilt 8 Ohm speaker means the parallel resistance drops to 4 Ohm (within ESU spec).

Long story short, 8 Ohm is correct in an Accurascale 2 speaker set up. 4 Ohm is only suitable in a 1 speaker set up (handy for upgrading other non Accurascale locos).

Handy parallel resistance calculator here https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tools/parallel-resistance-calculator/

Edited by Br60066
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, philg said:

Haven't got the loco yet. Just preperation for sound install of Class 30. I expected it would be 8 ohms - I was only getting confirmation.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, philg said:

22 minutes ago, zr2498 said:

Haven't got the loco yet. Just preperation for sound install of Class 30. I expected it would be 8 ohms - I was only getting confirmation.

Phil was quoting the ESU instructions for the decoder, not the Accurascale instructions for the loco.  The standard loco fit, as mentioned by McC above is an 8 ohm Accurathrash speaker and a sugar cube.

Steve

Edited by 55020
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Br60066 said:

The problem comes when you wire 2 speakers in parallel (as Accurascale does). The iPad speaker built into every model is 8 Ohm so if you wire in a 4 Ohm speaker in parallel then the resistance drops to 2.67 Ohms (below ESU spec). Original Accurathrash speakers were 4 Ohms which caused a few issues in early loco batches (I had it with class 92). The move to 8Ohm Accurathrash in parallel with the inbuilt 8 Ohm speaker means the parallel resistance drops to 4 Ohm (within ESU spec).

Long story short, 8 Ohm is correct in an Accurascale 2 speaker set up. 4 Ohm is only suitable in a 1 speaker set up (handy for upgrading other non Accurascale locos).

Handy parallel resistance calculator here https://www.allaboutcircuits.com/tools/parallel-resistance-calculator/

Gotcha

i forgot about the other speaker (and remembering how to calculate parallel resistances 🤪). Thanks

• Like 2

Will D5549 be available again to pre-order at some point direct from A/S, similar to the Blue ones? I have a preorder with another retailer but wouldn’t mind switching to take advantage of the A/S points. No worries if not, just thought I’d ask. 🙂

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, NXEA! said:

Will D5549 be available again to pre-order at some point direct from A/S, similar to the Blue ones? I have a preorder with another retailer but wouldn’t mind switching to take advantage of the A/S points. No worries if not, just thought I’d ask. 🙂

The way it normally seems to work is that once Accurascale has fulfilled all its pre-orders, any additional models are then made available on its website first come first served. You can also sign up for an email notification if a model becomes available. A/S usually announce on here and on FB when any remaining models go on general sale.

You could be lucky, but it is likely I think that your retailer will have already received their allocation and fulfilled your order before then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 12/09/2024 at 16:21, NXEA! said:

Just managed to bag the last one of these from a retailer. The second of the two 30s for me. Have one sound decoder on the way (possibly?), and waiting for another (incoming stock).

This has probably been asked before, but for those with DCC Ready, and then getting the sound upgrade, I assume the stay alive capacitors are on board, but how about the bogie rotation flange squeel sensors?

Edited by zr2498

• RMweb Gold
On 12/09/2024 at 08:56, zr2498 said:

Anyone know where the mirlees sound has come from and is it accurate? 

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

So is that the original Mirlees power unit whilst fitted to a Class 30, or a stand-alone engine with different inlet/exhaust systems?

If it sounds like a Class 30, does it really matter how the project was constructed?

Steve

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, 55020 said:

If it sounds like a Class 30, does it really matter how the project was constructed?

Steve

Given that the inlet and exhaust make a big difference to the sound of any ICE then I'd say yes. Wouldn't bother me personally anyway, not being a particular fan of sound in locos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Given that the inlet and exhaust make a big difference to the sound of any ICE then I'd say yes. Wouldn't bother me personally anyway, not being a particular fan of sound in locos.

Please read what I said, I didn't say "if it sounds like a Mirlees .....".  The fact that you aren't personally bothered about sound makes your original post appear like you are just trolling.  Hopefully that's not the case.

Personally, much of railway modelling is about nostalgia and reminiscences. As soon as I played the video and heard the class 30, it reminded me instantly of these locos (which were quite exotic to a Brummie compared with Sulzer type 2s, and type 4s) dragging an ECS up the gradient from Perry Barr towards Soho to form an afternoon New St to Norwich - IIRC around 8 mark 1s in the mid 60s. A distinctive and different engine note compared with the more customary Sulzer or EE engined motive power in the area at the time. I don’t really care whether it’s absolutely accurate - it does the job for me (as does the Bachmann version on video). 

Edited by MidlandRed
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, 55020 said:

Please read what I said, I didn't say "if it sounds like a Mirlees .....".  The fact that you aren't personally bothered about sound makes your original post appear like you are just trolling.  Hopefully that's not the case.

I'm not trolling, just trying to make the point that a super duper recording of a Mirlees engine isn't necessarily going to sound like a Class 30 loco.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

I'm not trolling, just trying to make the point that a super duper recording of a Mirlees engine isn't necessarily going to sound like a Class 30 loco.

Understood but what would you suggest as an alternative ? 

As one looking at one of the Mirless jobs, it sounds  fine to me but then I've never heard a Mirless engined 30/31....

How then does Accurascale's sound file differ from the real thing ? 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

The inlet and exhaust systems will surely make a significant difference to the sound.

Yes, but how many of us can tell the difference in noise between one diesel and the next? 

OK, I could tell a deltic when I heard it (4 miles away!), or a gronk from a mail line loco, but mostly one main line loco sounds pretty much the same as another to me.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Yes, but how many of us can tell the difference in noise between one diesel and the next

OK, I could tell a deltic when I heard it (4 miles away!), or a gronk from a mail line loco, but mostly one main line loco sounds pretty much the same as another to me.

Our Labradoodle knows the sound of my Honda and my wife's Peugeot 208 from 5 houses away and sits eagerly whimpering at the door for our respective arrival. Even recognises both sister-in-law’s Dacia and Peugeot 107, we know we have a visitor before they have parked the car.

Haven't tested the dog with a Class 30 Mirless yet.

Edited by Damo666
Spelling of word
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 7