Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, rob D2 said:

There should maybe be a forum on here “ comparing different manufacturers models of same prototype “.

I find it a bit uncouth of entries on one manufacturers page talking up / down the competition . Just seems a bit , rude.

The trouble is that, after a promising start, I think people will default to the easier option of using the actual thread about an actual model, given that that given model constitutes 50% of the subject of discussion...

I understand what you mean about it being 'rude', but on the other hand there are some manufacturers who are 'not backwards in coming forwards' in terms of self-promotion, whereas there are others who are perhaps more understated, unostentatious (and perhaps more dignified) in their approach. I know that's an old fashioned view, but by the same token, I'm a bit old fashioned myself...

Anyway, I think the Accurascale Class 31 looks fab, doesn't look like a Black 5 and I'd be happy to purchase a sweet-running example, provided AS provide an Idiots Guide to Substituting Their Own P4 Wheels... (which I understand they have undertaken to do).

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, rob D2 said:

There should maybe be a forum on here “ comparing different manufacturers models of same prototype “.

I find it a bit uncouth of entries on one manufacturers page talking up / down the competition . Just seems a bit , rude.

As the trend on the internet is to moan, I think all you'd get are the negative view from the fan of one product over the other, it wouldn't be unbiased.

I'd be interested to understand why people need to be told which model to buy instead of doing their own research and choosing the model they prefer based on their own eyes.  Can't people make decisions for themselves anymore and need someone to tell them what company to support i.e. which group to be a part of.

• Agree 13
  • Friendly/supportive 2

4 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

I think it depends how it is handled, some people may be in two minds as to which to go for, or conversely want reassurance that both are acceptable. Ultimately that is up to the individual, but I don't see the harm in discussing it on a modelling forum. 

It's not like the Hornby model hasn't been brought up dozens of times on here already.

Cameron

There’s no harm in discussing it . It’s where it’s discussed I have issue with 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

As the trend on the internet is to moan, I think all you'd get are the negative view from the fan of one product over the other, it wouldn't be unbiased.

Happy people tend to sit back and enjoy their happiness and don't say much about it.

Unhappy people feel the need to shout about that from the rooftops. Maybe in the hope that someone will make it better. 🤔

2 hours ago, rob D2 said:

There’s no harm in discussing it . It’s where it’s discussed I have issue with 

I think it's logical to discuss comparing one product with another in either of the product threads. Comparing the products on offer and pointing out which has done what better helps people make informed decisions on where to take their money. If you want to know about an Accurascale 31 this is the thread you'll come to.

It really is a 'you pay your money and make a choice' situation. Honestly, it would be good if one manufacturer could say to the other 'Hey we're doing Green and Blue 31s this year' so the other can say 'Cool, we'll do Sectorisation and Privatisation then.' In that way, both will get a slice of the pie and punters get more choice.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Just now, LNERandBR said:

I think it's logical to discuss comparing one product with another in either of the product threads. Comparing the products on offer and pointing out which has done what better helps people make informed decisions on where to take their money. If you want to know about an Accurascale 31 this is the thread you'll come to.

Yes, and I'm really quite surprised that my post comparing the two has appeared to cause so much upset, especially since I was being more favorable to the Accurascale model, for which this thread is based. I'd understand if it was the other way around, no-one likes being told that their Baby is ugly.

If someone else had posted the same comparison, I personally would have found it quite useful, and I'm surely not alone. At the end of the day there are two 31's entering the market at about the same time and at about the same price. It's certainly not ground breaking for the merits of one vs. the other to be discussed on an RMWeb thread for one of said models. Only in the last day or so we've seen the results of feedback on the Network Rail 31 lights, Accurascale having made a vast improvement to these. 

Anyway, I never said the Bachmann model was bad at all, just that it appears from the photos available so far that the Accurascale one has the 'edge'. I at no point suggested that people should by one instead of the other, as one post seems to have suggested. That is of course up to individuals to decide for themselves. I myself am considering getting one of Bachmann's blue ones, as it's a detail combination not yet announced by Accurascale, and would be good for conversion to an early plated door example I am considering modelling. 

I won't say anymore on the matter, as I'm sure people are getting fed up of their inboxes being silted up by people 'talking about talking about' a model.

Cameron

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

32 minutes ago, Mophead45143 said:

Yes, and I'm really quite surprised that my post comparing the two has appeared to cause so much upset, especially since I was being more favorable to the Accurascale model, for which this thread is based. I'd understand if it was the other way around, no-one likes being told that their Baby is ugly.

If someone else had posted the same comparison, I personally would have found it quite useful, and I'm surely not alone. At the end of the day there are two 31's entering the market at about the same time and at about the same price. It's certainly not ground breaking for the merits of one vs. the other to be discussed on an RMWeb thread for one of said models. Only in the last day or so we've seen the results of feedback on the Network Rail 31 lights, Accurascale having made a vast improvement to these. 

Anyway, I never said the Bachmann model was bad at all, just that it appears from the photos available so far that the Accurascale one has the 'edge'. I at no point suggested that people should by one instead of the other, as one post seems to have suggested. That is of course up to individuals to decide for themselves. I myself am considering getting one of Bachmann's blue ones, as it's a detail combination not yet announced by Accurascale, and would be good for conversion to an early plated door example I am considering modelling. 

I won't say anymore on the matter, as I'm sure people are getting fed up of their inboxes being silted up by people 'talking about talking about' a model.

Cameron

Nah... keep on posting. Just include a comparison to the prototype too :)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

31123 has two different buffers there, one with step, one without, red / black too.

different front windows too (strengthened on the 31/4) which has been reskinned too (replacing the band).

The headcode boxes are different too. One has the original glass with its rubber gromit seals and the other has been flush plated. 

• Like 1

31123 has two different buffers there, one with step, one without, red / black too.

different front windows too (strengthened on the 31/4) which has been reskinned too (replacing the band).

123 hasn't been HGR'd whilst the further one is a example of a HGR 31/4 so there will be subtle differences. As too the buffers the fact the red one doesn't have a step that is nothing unusual and it wasn't unusual to see one fitted upside down. The HGR one also has the strengthened drivers windscreen  that was later fitment.

4 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

Happy people tend to sit back and enjoy their happiness and don't say much about it.

Unhappy people feel the need to shout about that from the rooftops. Maybe in the hope that someone will make it better. 🤔

It really is a 'you pay your money and make a choice' situation. Honestly, it would be good if one manufacturer could say to the other 'Hey we're doing Green and Blue 31s this year' so the other can say 'Cool, we'll do Sectorisation and Privatisation then.' In that way, both will get a slice of the pie and punters get more choice.

If it’s an accurascale thread, I don’t think they want people going on about points on the Bachmann . They don’t want it , rightly so, so I wouldn’t mention the Bachmann one in it .

Why would manufacturers carve up the selling potential ? That’s just nuts . If I’d spent £100 k tooling  up a loco , I’m not going to come to some gentleman’s agreement that limits my sales. You need to have confidence in your product outgunning the rivals .

Comparing to the prototype rather than another model, I just came across this image from a Key Model World article. Shows that the handrails on the roof were quite prominent, so don't think the Accurascale attempt is far off the money. 

Nice rake of Syphons too!

image.png.8ad013e75427ef6d901bb9dc247f27ed.png

Cameron

• Like 15
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Mophead45143 said:

Comparing to the prototype rather than another model, I just came across this image from a Key Model World article. Shows that the handrails on the roof were quite prominent, so don't think the Accurascale attempt is far off the money. 

Nice rake of Syphons too!

image.png.8ad013e75427ef6d901bb9dc247f27ed.png

Cameron

The grab handles on the roof are quite prominent, it's the grab handles on the four roof hatches over the power unit that aren't as prominent. The roof hatches are set in to the roof on a Brush 2 unlike most other locos.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Throwing my tuppence-worth in here, I for one like reading the comparisons as they are useful for those of us who can't get to see those models in the flesh in the local shops, let alone test run them. It's not just the appearance and accuracy I am interested in, but also the running qualities. However, I'm not a rivet counter, and am prepared to accept compromises if the model runs exceptionally well. Things like those roof handrails wouldn't bother me if one brand is slightly better than the other.

Reliability and warranty/product support are also important as it is not so easy (or cheap) to post models back to UK from Australia for repairs. Price also comes into the equation.

I have no doubt whatsoever that both manufacturers' class 30/31 models run well, look well, but to get the detailed breakdowns and descriptions is helpful for me.

• Like 12
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 25/08/2024 at 14:15, woodenhead said:

I'd be interested to understand why people need to be told which model to buy instead of doing their own research and choosing the model they prefer based on their own eyes.  Can't people make decisions for themselves anymore and need someone to tell them what company to support i.e. which group to be a part of.

Well, here are my thoughts.

I wasn't asking to be told which model to buy, I was pointing out that it would be all to easy to simply get the Bachmann one from my local model shop, as they will have that before the AS one. I then asked AS to persuade me why waiting for theirs was the better option.

As for doing research and using my own eyes, I am someone who thinks the original 25+ year old Bachmann Class 25 is a worthwhile model of a Class 25.... Heinous, sacrilegious, take me out and execute me at dawn....

I literally can't tell the difference between them all, certainly not between two new, high-spec models of the same thing.

I don't care much either, as long as the model looks (to me) like what is is supposed to be. I grew up spotting the odd Class 31, so I know that both these new models look like the prototype.

But for that matter, I'd almost be tempted by a cheap Hornby example, if it were not for the Mazak rot risk.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Anyway, the persuading factor was the availability of drop-in P4 wheels for the AS one, plus the promise (given elsewhere) of an Idiots Guide on How To Substitute Wheelsets...

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well, here are my thoughts.

I wasn't asking to be told which model to buy, I was pointing out that it would be all to easy to simply get the Bachmann one from my local model shop, as they will have that before the AS one. I then asked AS to persuade me why waiting for theirs was the better option.

As for doing research and using my own eyes, I am someone who thinks the original 25+ year old Bachmann Class 25 is a worthwhile model of a Class 25.... Heinous, sacrilegious, take me out and execute me at dawn....

I literally can't tell the difference between them all, certainly not between two new, high-spec models of the same thing.

I don't care much either, as long as the model looks (to me) like what is is supposed to be. I grew up spotting the odd Class 31, so I know that both these new models look like the prototype.

But for that matter, I'd almost be tempted by a cheap Hornby example, if it were not for the Mazak rot risk.

Other than the Bachmann 25 had a completely fictious solebar that didn’t exist at all. I wouldn’t have you shot, just taken  gently by the hand to specsavers .

Edited by rob D2
  • Like 2
  • Funny 3

1 minute ago, rob D2 said:

Other than the Bachmann 25 had a completely fictious solebar that didn’t exist at all. I wouldn’t have you shot, just taken  gently by the hand to specsavers .

S'OK, I've only just worked out that originally Class 31's had a buffer beam fairing that got removed later in life 🤦‍♂️

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Very gentlemanly of you, but before you pass sentence, you may wish to ask the Thought Police to investigate how much I actually care about the existence of the imaginary solebar.... you may want to reinstate the original sentence after all...! 😉

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Very gentlemanly of you, but before you pass sentence, you may wish to ask the Thought Police to investigate how much I actually care about the existence of the imaginary solebar.... you may want to reinstate the original sentence after all...! 😉

The S4soc tagline "getting it all right" never did catch on😉

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

On 26/08/2024 at 10:24, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi folks,

Happy Bank Holiday Monday. A teaser of 105, also in Network Rail livery, in full skinhead glory!

33dbe0f5ce4fed74a7c7c1b57828f13c.jpg.d0ba91fee8c800271053acbb0a591760.jpg

More (and better!) pics of our NR pair very soon!

Cheers!

Fran

Is it a camera distortion, or is the cab front rainstrip totally horizontal?

My feeling, backed up by Mophead45143's photo above, is that there should, on the roofbox ones at least, be a slight arch.

If I were the Brush draughtsman, this would have followed from treating the facet of the windsreen's panel as a chamfered rectangle, and the

windscreen glass and aperture also as chamfered rectangles, i.e with three 90-degree corners and their adjacent edges parallel to the 'edges'

of the panel. Easier to specify the glass dimensions, and as a by-product softening what could look a slightly 'frowny face'.

Airfix sensitised me to this possibility when I compared theirs to my Tri-ang ones. Was it really almost half a century ago?!

The Nim.

• Like 1

Yeah there's something not quite right... it looks like a really angry and depressed Stormtrooper (or wasp) in yellow rather than white.  It could just be the camera angle but it's also unfortunately got a bit of Heljan vertical stretch going on somehow with almost slab sides.  Defo need a look at in person that.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well played sir, well played !

• Funny 1

• Accurascale staff
8 hours ago, Nimbus said:

Is it a camera distortion, or is the cab front rainstrip totally horizontal?

My feeling, backed up by Mophead45143's photo above, is that there should, on the roofbox ones at least, be a slight arch.

If I were the Brush draughtsman, this would have followed from treating the facet of the windsreen's panel as a chamfered rectangle, and the

windscreen glass and aperture also as chamfered rectangles, i.e with three 90-degree corners and their adjacent edges parallel to the 'edges'

of the panel. Easier to specify the glass dimensions, and as a by-product softening what could look a slightly 'frowny face'.

Airfix sensitised me to this possibility when I compared theirs to my Tri-ang ones. Was it really almost half a century ago?!

The Nim.

Hi @Nimbus,

You are incorrect. There is a subtle curve to the rainstrip on the model and this matches the curve on the 3D scan that we made of D5830 at Ruddington.  

According to the Brush Works Drawings this is a 70' radius curve.

Its subtle but it’s there! 

Cheers!

Fran

• Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1