Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

3 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

Nearly forgot the RTC liveried ones. I believe there were two at different times, either would suit me.

97205 1

The original (i.e. not preserved as above) RTC locos would be 97203 and 97204.

The difference in livery was mainly that 97203 had yellow wrap around ends but 97204 was like 97205 in the photo shown in your post.

97203, as I recall from the time, had a fire or failure in some way, resulting in 97204 being made up to replace it, albeit it with the revised livery.

FYI, the other 97/2's were 97201 'Experiment' in RTC Red/Blue which was a Class 24 and 97202 which was a Class 25 I believe, though 97202 was kept in BR blue if I remember right.

97204 was done as a commission from Hornby by Kernow MRC but 97203 has never been done as a production run on a high spec model, though it has appeared on the RailRoad Hornby model recently.  97204 was also done on the Lima model many years ago too.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 97403_Ixion said:

FYI, the other 97/2's were 97201 'Experiment' in RTC Red/Blue which was a Class 24 and 97202 which was a Class 25 I believe, though 97202 was kept in BR blue if I remember right.

97204 was done as a commission from Hornby by Kernow MRC but 97203 has never been done as a production run on a high spec model, though it has appeared on the RailRoad Hornby model recently.  97204 was also done on the Lima model many years ago too.

Don’t forget the ETHELs, they were 97250-97252. Separate set of numbers, but 97/2s nonetheless. 

Roy

• Like 1

12 hours ago, 97403_Ixion said:

Hi Fire Queen,

Do you mean the Infrastructure one?

If so, this is being done for Model Rail magazine, though not yet orderable but updates are given now and again in the magazine.

HTH,

Ixion.

Initially I was thinking of the loco in Dutch with the "RAIL 1981-1991" names, but I already assumed that if the model were to be made then it would likely be in the later scheme as you've mentioned. 

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Just more banger blue for me. 

Roy

21 hours ago, 97406 said:

The most run of the mill refurbished 31/4 in Banger Blue with no embellishments. Mid-eighties stylee!

Ditto.

Basic, no adornments, no name, no white stripe, but with a normal headcode box 31/4, suitable for late 70s/early 80s, please.

• Like 7
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, alastairb said:

Good to see others also want workaday locos to allow a lengthy period of BR history to be accurately modelled - rather than the seeming obsession of some with building a collection of one of a kind 'celebrity' locos 

Having said that, the embellishments tend to be easily removable from the Accurascale models with a little white spirit (enamel thinners) and not all that much elbow grease so you can tweak them, the minefield of variations within the class notwithstanding!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

Question for the A/S chaps, which version of the Accurathrash speaker is best for the 31, the 4OHM or 8OHM? And will there be a specific set of clips for the 31 required, or will 37 or Deltic clips fit for example? 

I don’t have an A/S model yet so don’t know what to expect, and I note the 30 sound chip is available, hence the questions! Thanks in advance. 

• Accurascale staff
Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, NXEA! said:

Question for the A/S chaps, which version of the Accurathrash speaker is best for the 31, the 4OHM or 8OHM? And will there be a specific set of clips for the 31 required, or will 37 or Deltic clips fit for example? 

I don’t have an A/S model yet so don’t know what to expect, and I note the 30 sound chip is available, hence the questions! Thanks in advance. 

Hi NEXA!

We advise an 8 Ohm speaker for the Class 30 and 31.

Cheers!

Fran 

Edited by Accurascale Fran
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi NEXA!

We advise an 8 Ohm speaker for the Class 30 and 31 and will be providing specific speaker clips for this loco too.

Cheers!

Fran 

Cheers for the speedy response Fran!

• Like 1

On 17/08/2024 at 08:16, Roy Langridge said:

Whilst a skinhead 31 would be nice, please remember there weren’t many

Indeed, but a higher proportion in the first couple of years the Brush 2 was introduced into service in all over BR green, and might have been seen alongside a J67/68/69 (among much else).

• Agree 1

• Accurascale staff
37 minutes ago, NXEA! said:

Cheers for the speedy response Fran!

Hi NEXA!

No problem! Scratch that, no clips required for the 31. Some sticky pads will work a treat.

Cheers!

Fran 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Another shout for more examples of regular workhorse banger blue examples, and also more of the Bescot dutch 31/5s would be lovely. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I'd love some more bog standard 'Dutch' versions please!

By the dying days the main ones left with EWS before the cull were mostly grotty Dutch ones, so any good renumbering fodder would be beautiful!

• Like 4
  • Agree 3

37 minutes ago, James Makin said:

I'd love some more bog standard 'Dutch' versions please!

By the dying days the main ones left with EWS before the cull were mostly grotty Dutch ones, so any good renumbering fodder would be beautiful!

Yes , couple of grotty ones on the bin liner through didcot 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mophead45143 said:

No Domino's???

Cameron

I'm assuming that that sheet is for a pre-TOPS numbered loco, so all should be head codes. Dominos will come with a TOPS numbered loco, presumably, along with maybe other variations of a "blank" display such as 0O00, dots on the actual blinds etc.

Whilst the number of displays on the sheet is excellent, what is really great for me is that the displays can be changed, and I can make up ones specific for my layout and be able to fit them without hassle.

As an aside, given the reputation real 31s have, performance wise, it raises a smile that we have two model versions racing towards the finishing line! Looking forward to getting my 2 A/S ones, whenever they get here.... in true, measured, class 31, style 🙂

• Like 2

A lovely bucolic country service, that mainly used green Class 30s from their introduction, was the Hadleigh (Suffolk) to Ipswich daily pick up goods service. The line came off the Great Eastern mainline at Bentley, Suffolk and went to the end of the line at Hadleigh. The station at Bentley still exists for commercial use. Passenger services ceased in the 1930s and the last pick up goods was in 1963 I think. The last train was hauled by a green Class 30. There were also Class 25s and the occasional 20 used.

• Like 1