Class 31, by Accurascale - It's time 2 Brush Up!

• Accurascale staff
8 minutes ago, 97406 said:

Ooh it looks like they do! The 37 nose end doors come off quite easily as they’re lightly glued in place so hopefully the same here.

They are indeed separate parts. They should pop out with a little encouragement. Hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, McC said:

They are indeed separate parts. They should pop out with a little encouragement. Hope that helps!

I’ll go for one, methinks. Thanks to you and Roy.

9 hours ago, 25901 said:

Maybe some water pipes and body side steps ??

When they were first converted they still had boilers and the steps were still in place. So the water pipes would still be there, and the gangway doors were still fitted.

Al Taylor

• RMweb Gold
On 05/06/2024 at 20:28, McC said:

Rather a case of depriving yourself by listening to a tiny minority of issues all of which easily resolved (and a lifetime warranty). I always find it best to decide for myself in such matter and I own many SLW 24’s which in many ways were the inspiration for ‘why aren’t all manufacturers doing that’ and starting accurascale. 

Background context - the above reply from McC was in response to concerns about the reported difficulty in changing the Accurascale OO wheels in their Class 37 model for their own P4 ones.

No doubt you have read the article by Kier Hardy in the latest MRJ (Issue 304) concerning the changing of wheels in their Accurascale 37 models?

This, together with comments expressed by other (Scalefour) modellers was partially responsible for my decision not to proceed with the purchase of a green (SYP, centre headcode) AS Class 37, when they come out.

These may be a 'tiny minority' of modellers but they are respected and highly experienced modellers, who's opinions I am minded to take notice of.

With regard to the Class 31 models, everything I read about them increases my desire to purchase one.

Although I acknowledge that Accurascale is a small outfit, it does seem to be a little larger than Sutton Loco Works. The latter offer a service of supplying their Class 24 and 25 models with P4 (or EM) wheels already fitted. There is an extra fee for this, but that is clearly to be expected.

Do you think, therefore, that Accurascale might follow suit and offer the same service, maybe starting with the Class 31 model?

I would happily pay the appropriate additional amount for such a service, which then resulted in me being able to run my (P4) model straight after receipt, instead of a potentially worrysome and stressful tussle with (possibly) recalcitrant plastic keeper plates.

Thank you.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 09/06/2024 at 16:13, 97406 said:

It's a fugly modification and I just had to have one. It looked less hideous on Railfreight livery where it was hidden by the black window surround to a degree.

@97406 do you know when this modification took place and is it at both ends of the locomotive?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Background context - the above reply from McC was in response to concerns about the reported difficulty in changing the Accurascale OO wheels in their Class 37 model for their own P4 ones.

No doubt you have read the article by Kier Hardy in the latest MRJ (Issue 304) concerning the changing of wheels in their Accurascale 37 models?

This, together with comments expressed by other (Scalefour) modellers was partially responsible for my decision not to proceed with the purchase of a green (SYP, centre headcode) AS Class 37, when they come out.

These may be a 'tiny minority' of modellers but they are respected and highly experienced modellers, who's opinions I am minded to take notice of.

I read the horror stories before converting my 37 to EM...and the first bogie took 1 1/2 hours! However, the second was straightforward, and done in 15 mins, having learnt from the first. Hence I don't expect the 31 to be particularly difficult or take long. The only recurring 37 problem subsequently has been the length of the sand pipes, now shortened. 

I've had far more problems converting a couple of the current Bachmann 47s.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, Jim76 said:

@97406 do you know when this modification took place and is it at both ends of the locomotive?

It was both ends and done in the latter half of the 80s. I first saw the mod on 31430 at Bescot open day in ‘88 and wondered “what must they be thinking?”

31430 about to be named Sister Dora at Bescot.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know if the Model Rail exclusive, 31116 Rail Celebrity In Infrastructure livery has been offered for sale yet? I really want one, hope I haven't missed the boat. 

21 hours ago, 45125 said:

As you say the only difference is the ETH fitments.

Thanks, however I've since realised that 31402 is not a great candidate for renumbering, as it has alternative roof panels leftover from it's 1600hp modification, and is also trip-cock fitted.

That being said, I can't actually see what the differences are in the roof panels on 31402 versus the other loco's in the photos shared by Accurascale recently. 

Cameron 

Edited by Mophead45143

7 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

Does anyone know if the Model Rail exclusive, 31116 Rail Celebrity In Infrastructure livery has been offered for sale yet? I really want one, hope I haven't missed the boat. 

No it hasnt been released for pre orders yet. I sent an email directly to Model Rail and was told that this will be a late addition to the supply of the class 31's. Keep buying the Magazine and you will be sure to know when the order books are open 

8 hours ago, nightstar.train said:

56 minutes ago, Krieghoff said:

No it hasnt been released for pre orders yet. I sent an email directly to Model Rail and was told that this will be a late addition to the supply of the class 31's. Keep buying the Magazine and you will be sure to know when the order books are open 

You're safe - no release for sale just yet.

As Krieghoff says, keep an eye open in the magazine - occasionally they have updates.

Also keep a regular eye on the publisher's website too - Model Rail Diesel Locos, should you not buy or see the Model Rail magazine.

It's one of those models, very difficult to gauge popularity liveries though.

It may be one of those 'It will fly off the shelves...' type of models, like Deltic 9016 was with Accurascale, despite plenty of people saying 'Urgh!'... and they even went on to do a second run!

Personally, I'm looking forward to it and a welcome upgrade to my old Lima one (p/n: L205114).

Hope you get one too!

Ixion.

Edited by 97403_Ixion
Corrected Deltic reference

I have the Key Model special-edition of the Trainload Coal-sector example on preorder. I've now decided to cancel one of the Bachmann versions that I also had on preorder and go foran all-AS fleet of 31s! The initial reason being a focus on standardisation, as well as the following:  pricing, the correct A1A-A1A wheel arrangement, the novel but certainly useful feature of having the detachable roof to insert or remove a decoder and lastly, the life-time warranty that Accurascale UK have promised! 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

Thanks, however I've since realised that 31402 is not a great candidate for renumbering, as it has alternative roof panels leftover from it's 1600hp modification, and is also trip-cock fitted.

That being said, I can't actually see what the differences are in the roof panels on 31402 versus the other loco's in the photos shared by Accurascale recently. 

Cameron 

But '402 wasn't one of the 1600hp locos, was it?

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, 97403_Ixion said:

It's one of those models, very difficult to gauge popularity liveries though.

It may be one of those 'It will fly off the shelves...' type of models, like Deltic 9016 was with Accurascale, despite plenty of people saying 'Urgh!'... and they even went on to do a second run!

I shall park it next to my purple deltic with pride. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, eefitter said:

Well, I just read that in the article when the trip cock 31's were announced after the main release, so assumed it to be correct?

Cameron

3 hours ago, eefitter said:

Right, I've figured out what this extra panel on the roof is now - it's between the roof fan and cant rail in the below image.

image.png.75e2f94a616002f3dcdd3e5306ad7e31.png

However, as eefitter says, 31402 was not part of the batch D5655 - D5670 or D5545 that were fitted with 1600hp engines, so this is confusing?

Cameron

• Like 2

On 10/06/2024 at 12:50, 97406 said:

It was both ends and done in the latter half of the 80s. I first saw the mod on 31430 at Bescot open day in ‘88 and wondered “what must they be thinking?”

On 10/06/2024 at 12:50, 97406 said:

I think that must be the only photo I have seen with the radiator slats closed !!!

17 hours ago, Mophead45143 said:

Right, I've figured out what this extra panel on the roof is now - it's between the roof fan and cant rail in the below image.

image.png.75e2f94a616002f3dcdd3e5306ad7e31.png

However, as eefitter says, 31402 was not part of the batch D5655 - D5670 or D5545 that were fitted with 1600hp engines, so this is confusing?

Cameron

Nice viewing angle on that Cameron, it looks fantastic. My half hearted attempt at moving up to 7mm is now getting a little wobbly looking at that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Nice viewing angle on that Cameron, it looks fantastic. My half hearted attempt at moving up to 7mm is now getting a little wobbly looking at that.

The only two of the original ETH Brush2s that were once rated at1600 HP when built, were 5656 (31409) and 5669 (31410).

Al Taylor

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, dave75 said:

Is there some confusion in recent posts with 31302 which was the 2000hp super-ped!

And had additional bodyside grills

31302_1981_06_Shirebrook

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, dave75 said:

Is there some confusion in recent posts with 31302 which was the 2000hp super-ped!

The first Brush Tyoe 4? 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1