60 year old film just developed. What year please?

highpeakman

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, russ p said:

Wow, that's not a regular Clayton it's the VERY camera shy DHP1 I believe that was built in 1964

Thanks very much indeed for pointing that out.

I wouldn't have known as I don't remember that loco at all and had to look it up on line.

A very interesting type 3 hydraulic. Painted red with cream top but doesn't appear to have worked much, if at all, on the main line. Short lived.

Glad I got something interesting on that trip anyway!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, dhjgreen said:

Have a look at GIMP, it does much of what Photoshop does and is freeware.

Yes, I am aware of GIMP and have it loaded on my PC. However I am finding it very hard work to learn to use though (and it appears that I am not the only one). Even the manual is difficult to use.

Trying to get rid of marks, scratches and noise without ruining detail too much is a learning and slow process with any software but GIMP, while undoubtably very capable indeed, is not so user friendly to use for such a process.

The photo of the Woodhead loco shows OHLE mast number 41 over 78 on the right.  I don't know the numbering convention on that line, but on some lines it was in format mileage/mast number, and if that applies here that should identify location and if somebody knows where they measured from - Manchester London Road in the post-war electrification?  If so Sheffield Victoria is about the 40 mile mark.

Must admit I was also suprised to see a Warship at Crewe.  I didn't drivers there would be familiar with the hydraulics, so presumably something they'd want to return to the WR asap.

I don't think any software will help legibility much, as removing speckles is a matter of interpolating from adjacent pixels, it will just look cleaner by removing the white spots.  I assume it is caused by dust.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Must admit I was also suprised to see a Warship at Crewe.  I didn't drivers there would be familiar with the hydraulics, so presumably something they'd want to return to the WR asap.

Back in the day, Warships were daily visitors to Crewe where the took over trains on the north-to-west route via Shrewsbury.

• Agree 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The photo of the Woodhead loco shows OHLE mast number 41 over 78 on the right.  I don't know the numbering convention on that line, but on some lines it was in format mileage/mast number, and if that applies here that should identify location and if somebody knows where they measured from - Manchester London Road in the post-war electrification?  If so Sheffield Victoria is about the 40 mile mark.

I don't think any software will help legibility much, as removing speckles is a matter of interpolating from adjacent pixels, it will just look cleaner by removing the white spots.  I assume it is caused by dust.

Thanks for the info about the OHLE mast number, I will try to follow that up.

I am having a real problem remembering where I took this photo. The only thing I can think off is that the same film has pics of a school visit to Doncaster Works and I wonder if we travelled from Nottingham to Doncaster via the GC and Sheffiield Victoria. I do wish my recall was better than it is!

The "speckling" is a function of ageing on the film rather than dust I think as I have only just received them back from the processor. Sitting, undeveloped, in a drawer for 60 years would not have helped (5 years before I started wotk and 12 years after I retired!). It was something that I would rediscover from time to time and always meant to do something with but never quite got around to doing. I think, in later years, I always thought it would be a waste of time to process it and that it would require some expensive special processing. That's not the case as it finally turned out.

Thanks for your interest.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Tim V said:

You were lucky to recover those images, this picture of Bath Green Park was taken C1976, and was eventually processed about 12 years ago - it makes for an atmospheric shot though! 

Bath Green Park Lubitel abandoned film (1).JPG

It's always interesting to see such pictures as they still provide a lot of detail and memories even if the quality is not what it once was.

I have visited this site in recent years and it is now nothing like as interesting as it used to be! At least something was kept.

This shot also served as a useful reminder of owning my Triumph Vitesse! (And, at least, three different versions of that Cortina). Thanks.

• RMweb Gold

The white specks do look like dust to me, it's worth giving them a good clean, maybe even washing them in tepid water and hanging them to dry with a clothes peg.

Old film tends to develop larger grain as it ages, and may lose contrast as well. The best place to store old film is in a cool place like the fridge.

Edited by rodent279

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

The white specks do look like dust to me, it's worth giving them a good clean, maybe even washing them in tepid water and hanging them to dry with a clothes peg.

Old film tends to develop larger grain as it ages, and may lose contrast as well. The best place to store old film is in a cool place like the fridge.

Thanks for your suggestions.

As I said though the film has only just been returned from the processor so I can only assume it is an effect on the film itself. I was very careful with it and put it straight into the scanner after removing it from the negative protector. (The scanner is clean).

I am ashamed to say that it has not been looked after during its 60 years of waiting to be developed and was not kept in any canister or light proof container because i had assumed many years ago that it was ruined.

However, I will look again and wash to see if it has any effect.

Edited by highpeakman

6 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

According to a recent-ish Quail Map the remains of Sheffield Victoria are at 41 miles 22 chains and the zero is indeed at London Road.  It's highly unlikely that the route has been re-miled.  A 1948 map from NLS shows Bridgehouses sidings to the west, but they are more than 22 chains from Victoria so if the supports are numbered in this way their prefix would be 40.  Therefore I'd suggest somewhere in the various sidings around Nunnery Junction.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, highpeakman said:

This shot also served as a useful reminder of owning my Triumph Vitesse! (And, at least, three different versions of that Cortina). Thanks.

Although that is a Triumph Herald 13/60!

Edited by jcm@gwr
surplus word!
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1