OO Gauge GWR Toplight Mainline & City Coaches announced

Free At Last

Hi, models of 3755, 3756 and 3910 after they were converted to Workmen coaches in 1958 for work on Miners Trains would be good. Thanks Fred

Edited by Fredo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I do not have camera that can take such close ups, But.

One of my M&C coaches derails at a particular spot and it is always the same wheel.  Taking a closer look it was clear that the chord of the underframe on that corner was further out from where it should be and more so than the other 3 chords, the clearance was minimal.  However I was reluctant to attack the symptom (filing the bogie) and decided to break the glue join of the chord to the chassis and have a look.  Lo and behold there is a pocket of the chassis (which is metal) and a matching lug on the chord which it seems should fit into the hole, which however it does not.  The lug is, by eye, too long.  I trimmed the lug off the chord so it does not foul the fitting hole and reglued it to the chassis.  Much better clearance achieved.

A different but allied comment.  Given the time and effort that seems to gone into the model (the foregoing not withstanding) why have Dapol fitted a rubbish tail lamp?  It is not even near a GWR design and on my GWR over Crest models (27-34?), white!  White did not even start to appear until Dec 36.

Edited by MG 7305
Clarity
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Has anyone had any experience of these coaches causing a short circuit?

My Dad has the brake second with interior lighting a working tail lamp.

Absolutely stunning model in BR crimson. 

Initially it ran well.  He popped the roof off to add some passengers. 

But since then the lights no longer work and it short circuits his controller.  Holding a 9v battery on the wheels produces a burning smell.

So, he has passed it to me to have a look. 

Before I go prodding around with a screwdriver.  Has anyone had a similar experience or can provide any guidance?

Many thanks

Steve

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, sjp23480 said:

Has anyone had any experience of these coaches causing a short circuit?

My Dad has the brake second with interior lighting a working tail lamp.

Absolutely stunning model in BR crimson. 

Initially it ran well.  He popped the roof off to add some passengers. 

But since then the lights no longer work and it short circuits his controller.  Holding a 9v battery on the wheels produces a burning smell.

So, he has passed it to me to have a look. 

Before I go prodding around with a screwdriver.  Has anyone had a similar experience or can provide any guidance?

Many thanks

Steve

I would suggest you contact Dapol direct, they are usually helpful about such things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

At the end of the article read thus :

'the design team are continuing to work on the the Corridor versions of the coach and we look forward to bringing you news on these models in the future'.

No confirmation of the diagrams I posted earlier in the thread though but good news all the same.

• Like 9
  • Agree 3

On 15/07/2024 at 11:09, trainsandco said:

An update regarding batch 2! Looks like they’re nearly here, plus; we can finally see the livery for Set 2 (something I’ve personally been looking out for for a while!)

Link to Dapol Website

Likewise. I've pre-ordered a set anyway, so I'm pretty much committed (unless I decide not to buy and lose my deposit), whatever they look like!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/02/2022 at 17:28, BenL said:

whereas I suspect the non-corridor Toplights were more likely to have received the even more austere but seemingly much more common all-over ‘standard’ GWR brown (with no orange waist lining) as many clerestories and workmen’s train carriages did on the wartime and postwar GWR. But I guess the Dapol artwork will reveal all in due course.

We now have the answer Ben @BenL and they do indeed have single orange lining. We didn't get to see the artwork, no surprise, before production. Not that it will stop me buying them.😉

IMG_0992.png.5c33048e73bd8a915545717c84afb9e8.png.7bbef8e575d6dc68a9d24fb6bf58aaf3.png

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, MartinTrucks said:

Just seen on Facebook from Rails of Sheffield:

'The second delivery of Dapol's new OO Gauge Toplight City coaches are expected with us today in both GWR brown and chocolate/ cream liveries. Pre-order now for £55.08 each:' https://tinyurl.com/bdevshzp

Martin

Kernow have just charged my card for the Chocolate and Cream liverery - Set 2.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 17/07/2024 at 13:35, Coppercap said:

Likewise. I've pre-ordered a set anyway, so I'm pretty much committed (unless I decide not to buy and lose my deposit), whatever they look like!

Assuming you have ordered online then the The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 apply and you are entitled to cancel,  up to 14 days from the day you receive your goods, for a FULL refund (including any deposit or whatever a retailer might call it). 

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Al51 said:

Kernow have just charged my card for the Chocolate and Cream liverery - Set 4.

Thanks to Kernow/Chris Nevard , they look smashing.

WEB240723DAPOL4P-020-312_1.jpg.72d23be159ebe7914dd510270748827a.jpg

• Like 10
  • Round of applause 1

19 hours ago, Graham_Muz said:

Assuming you have ordered online then the The Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 apply and you are entitled to cancel,  up to 14 days from the day you receive your goods, for a FULL refund (including any deposit or whatever a retailer might call it). 

I was only joking really. 😉  I'm certain I won't be changing my mind on these, unless there's anything wrong with them all.

WEB 240723 DAPOL 4P-020-101_1.jpg

Edited by Coppercap
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 15/07/2024 at 17:06, gwrrob said:

At the end of the article read thus :

'the design team are continuing to work on the the Corridor versions of the coach and we look forward to bringing you news on these models in the future'.

No confirmation of the diagrams I posted earlier in the thread though but good news all the same.

Are we all to assume that Dapol will produce these in the same six liveries of the non corridor M&C toplights then.

12 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Are we all to assume that Dapol will produce these in the same six liveries of the non corridor M&C toplights then.

I think it's more complicated than that. The M&C were painted in sets (I have not seen any evidence to the contrary), whereas the mainsequence corridor coaches would have been repainted as individual vehicles. So, whilst the wartime brown and orange lining scheme is credible for the M&C sets, it is not credible IMO for a rake of corridor vehicles, because it is likely the number of vehicles in that livery was comparatively few. Also, none of the corridor toplight stock appeared in crimson to my knowledge, so crimson & cream, and later, maroon*, would have been common, and there was quite a lot of overlap in the crimson&cream and maroon applications. I'm not aware any normal (i.e. not catering and slip) stock received the revived chocolate & cream post-1956 scheme.

Offhand, I can't recall seeing a pic of a complete rake of corridor toplight stock, apart from the fancy early Fishguard sets.

Pick 'n Mix was the GWR and BR(W) norm.

* Given that corridor Toplights became extinct c 1957, it is probably very unlikely any received the 1956-introduced maroon (pictures?), and by then plating over the toplights had become common. If I were Dapol, I'd steer clear of maroon.

Edited by Miss Prism
caveat over maroon
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, gwrrob said:

15 hours ago, Miss Prism said:

I think it's more complicated than that. The M&C were painted in sets (I have not seen any evidence to the contrary), whereas the mainsequence corridor coaches would have been repainted as individual vehicles. So, whilst the wartime brown and orange lining scheme is credible for the M&C sets, it is not credible IMO for a rake of corridor vehicles, because it is likely the number of vehicles in that livery was comparatively few. Also, none of the corridor toplight stock appeared in crimson to my knowledge, so crimson & cream, and later, maroon*, would have been common, and there was quite a lot of overlap in the crimson&cream and maroon applications. I'm not aware any normal (i.e. not catering and slip) stock received the revived chocolate & cream post-1956 scheme.

Offhand, I can't recall seeing a pic of a complete rake of corridor toplight stock, apart from the fancy early Fishguard sets.

Pick 'n Mix was the GWR and BR(W) norm.

* Given that corridor Toplights became extinct c 1957, it is probably very unlikely any received the 1956-introduced maroon (pictures?), and by then plating over the toplights had become common. If I were Dapol, I'd steer clear of maroon.

As well as liveries, it will be interesting to see if Dapol do some with the Toplights plated over.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

Postie brought an exciting package today. Set 2 dropped on my lap today, and a quick browse through the boxes show some stunning models with lovely livery application.

Unfortunately the issue with the truss and the bogies catching doesn’t look to have been remedied.

Just need a cooler day now to test them on the layout in the loft!

IMG_8957.jpeg

• Like 17
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
On 28/07/2024 at 14:18, Miss Prism said:

I doubt they would sell.

They might sell but the problem will be getting sufficient number to justify thetooling costs involved.  This is a big problem for Toplights in their latter days as the extent of plating over etc varied so much as to make them almost an impossible proposition for producing accurately tooled vehicles in BR liveries.   So with today's demands for detailed accuracy Toplights are highly unlikely towork economically for the BR period except for considerably less discerning customers.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

So with today's demands for detailed accuracy Toplights are highly unlikely towork economically for the BR period except for considerably less discerning customers.

Without doing a plated version, they've still sold any number of 7mm BR autocoaches (including maroon which came in after they were withdrawn).

So seems unlikely they would tool up for a few marginal sales they'd probably have got anyway.

• Like 2