O gauge MTH 20-200005-2 conversion to DCC sound

I’ve been offered this locomotive, which has been converted to 2 rail. The owner tells me that he runs 2 rail DC and the onboard DCS and smoke units run very well on that. I know there are switches in the nose of the body for polarity/ 2-3 rail etc, and I’ve seen some MTH locomotives with a switch to convert to DCC. He can’t find any other switches on the engine. The box says it’s running Proto-sound 2.0

Can it be converted to DCC without too much trouble, and if so, how?

Cheers

Martin

DDBBBFC6-85D4-4162-829F-4E9283F4B715.jpeg

6A15555B-4A55-4873-BD0F-B7D29C470225.jpeg

6FC5A59C-FAFD-4EB4-B859-195CD0AEF49E.jpeg

6D458486-3E71-49A9-8A95-6A4C1A95EE14.jpeg

Try asking the your question on an American forum too - ogaugerr.com springs to mind.  I don't have a warm feeling about acquiring an MTH loco that has Proto-Sound 2.0 with the Digital Command System (their DCS sytem - NOT the same as DCC).  MTH only announced Proto-Sound 3 with DCS being compatible with DCC, or was it interoperable...?  Or ....  

So Protosound 2 ... I've assumed NO.  Protosound 3 YES.  Straightforward enough(!) to convert the PS2 loco with a DCC sound-chip I expect, so the loco looks nice, get the price down.  Is pS2 why he's selling it?  Worth asking. 

Like all electronics questions I'm happy to be proved wrong.

Jason

• Like 1

Thanks Jason, I was thinking who would be first, you or ‘arry Dodd!

I know that PS 3 Premier fitted models from 2011 and K-Line up to 2014 had a switch to change from DCS to DCC. After that there was a jump wire and plug. If you cut the loop to the plug, it would make it DCC only.

I’ve no idea about the PS 2 though.

He’s asking £220 + post, so if it can be converted fairly easily. It is worth it. If I have to remove all the interior and fit a new decoder, then I don’t think it is…

I shall enquire on the ogr, and see what comes up.

cheers

Martin

• Agree 1