Mystery location

Guest Jack Benson

Guest Jack Benson

Hi,

This image pitched up on our group page, it is an exLSWR L11 169 but where and when? The few clues are the exLSWR three-car set suggests a South Western station, the first thought was the bay at Salisbury but the footbridge in the distance is wrong for that location.

StaySafe

4923158D-3AC6-4DFF-B8A6-D775F7C91945.jpeg.b6e757808bfbe7cfec1e969919ec9898.jpeg

Basingstoke east end?

Edit - I’ll remove the question mark. It’s the down lines at the east end of Basingstoke station.

Edited by pH
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Not being familiar with the Southern, I  will throw in a couple of general observations. 

The signalling says to me that the two tracks are in the same direction on a four track section of line. There is a large signal by the footbridge suggesting a scissors crossing. 

There is a signal box by the footbridge and in the middle of the tracks a stump which looks like a gate post, so possibly a level crossing there?

• RMweb Gold
On 28/01/2022 at 09:17, pH said:

Basingstoke east end?

Edit - I’ll remove the question mark. It’s the down lines at the east end of Basingstoke station.

Agree. Relationship of the box and signals is correct for Basingstoke East. The gantry beyond the box is the signals for two running connections between the Down lines. I think the bridge in the distance is Norn Hill.