Hornby 2022 Black 5 new tooling

MoonM

Has anyone else had performance problems with the Caprotti five? My regular LMS liveried one is alright but my Caprotti one slips and slides even around the third radius on my layout.

I've added lead weight to it but the fact it's struggling with three old Lima mk1s suggests something is very amiss...

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, kelsh003 said:

I've added lead weight to it but the fact it's struggling with three old Lima mk1s suggests something is very amiss...

Not good news then.

Out of the box my Caprotti engine only weighed 235gm.  That is very very light.  I finally got it up to 310gm.

The Caprotti also has a sprung front bogie.  I am not sure that there is room for both the spring and plastic washer.  It could well be that the bogie is lifting the front of the engine.  I did two things, firstly I did little bit of filing and massaging to the piece of metal that holds the bogie pivot.  This was to ensure that the metal bracket fitted neatly into the channel in the Mazac chassis.  Secondly I removed the bogie spring and washer - previous Hornby Black Fives never had a sprung front bogie and the Caprotti runs quite nicely without the spring.

Some pointers for you.

Cheers  Ray

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/06/2024 at 13:35, PeterStiles said:

I'm only running them in 3v

Voltage is irrelevant, it's how much current you put through them that determines the brightness.

And yes modern high brightness ones are very efficient needing only a couple of milliamps.

12 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Not good news then.

Out of the box my Caprotti engine only weighed 235gm.  That is very very light.  I finally got it up to 310gm.

The Caprotti also has a sprung front bogie.  I am not sure that there is room for both the spring and plastic washer.  It could well be that the bogie is lifting the front of the engine.  I did two things, firstly I did little bit of filing and massaging to the piece of metal that holds the bogie pivot.  This was to ensure that the metal bracket fitted neatly into the channel in the Mazac chassis.  Secondly I removed the bogie spring and washer - previous Hornby Black Fives never had a sprung front bogie and the Caprotti runs quite nicely without the spring.

Some pointers for you.

Cheers  Ray

Hi Ray hope you are good.

Well, what do you know? Removed the washer and spring seems to have worked! I've done the same to my LMS 5200 Black Five as well, and that seems to be a little happier too. Many thanks for that.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, kelsh003 said:

Well, what do you know? Removed the washer and spring seems to have worked! I've done the same to my LMS 5200 Black Five as well, and that seems to be a little happier too. Many thanks for that.

I've never been sure what 'problem' the Hornby bogie spring is trying to fix. Some models run fine with the spring fitted others like your Black Five lose traction. I think if your trackwork is reasonably level the weight alone of the cast Hornby bogie trucks is usually enough to keep them on the rails. Different with Bachmann where the lightness of the  plastic bogies can make them liable to bounce off the rails especially at point work

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, kelsh003 said:

Thank you Kelsh, good to have some feedback.  Some of these issues only emerge when you play with the model.

Enjoy  Regards  Ray

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Thank you Kelsh, good to have some feedback.  Some of these issues only emerge when you play with the model.

Enjoy  Regards  Ray

Its very good to know! I was seriously considering a return of it which I did not want to do as I think the Caprotti 'five is an excellent model, and I love having weird and quirky things in the collection. Thankfully this has saved it, and improved how my LMS 'five runs as well.

• Like 3

On 18/06/2024 at 11:46, MikeParkin65 said:

I've never been sure what 'problem' the Hornby bogie spring is trying to fix. Some models run fine with the spring fitted others like your Black Five lose traction. I think if your trackwork is reasonably level the weight alone of the cast Hornby bogie trucks is usually enough to keep them on the rails. Different with Bachmann where the lightness of the  plastic bogies can make them liable to bounce off the rails especially at point work

Its weird how certain things can change a model and how it behaves. The trackwork on my layout is quite new and flat, but for whatever reason this 'five had major issues.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 17/06/2024 at 22:19, kelsh003 said:

Has anyone else had performance problems with the Caprotti five? My regular LMS liveried one is alright but my Caprotti one slips and slides even around the third radius on my layout.

You could try removing the front Bogie and check that the driving wheels are in full contact with the rails.  If that improves the locomotive then perhaps the bogie/wheels need adjustment.   To add weight:Remove the body and run a level of fine lead-shot from one end of the loco' body to the other and set in place with diluted PVA.

As a matter of interest, I listened to my own advice and refrained from purchasing the new Hornby B5!   Instead I purchased a new Bachmann 3F with tender, a Hornby 8F body (Only) which had been renumbered professionally, and Also a complete Hornby 8F (Renumbered) c/w a Brassmasters kit (Fitted) and, to add insult to injury, all three items cost me £180.00 including p+p.   If you also remove the £30.00 Brassmasters kit then I'm laughing all the way to the bank, in comparison.   I will Not, unlike some, throw good money after bad!

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

I have continued to research 'lamps' and have put some thoughts together in a new Blog post.  I think the key issue is the size of the handles.  Rather than try to model the handles they should perhaps be omitted - or painted black.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

With different issues between the Black Fives, were the two variants built in different factories? 

I think the  factory codes might be shown on the boxes - so anyone who has more than one version should be able to give an answer.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Further progress on the Caprotti project upgrade.

DSC00416.JPG.c6228406090a202597ec9bda1b65b0c7.JPG

DSC00417.JPG.22bb6efe59de5b2765aeb6212ab6367e.JPG

Method described here:

What a job, phew!

Dave

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Latest copy of Hornby Mag just popped through the letter box. More a description than a review of the Caprotti version (to be fair they've already reviewed 5200) but they noted as others have above that its lighter than the  standard model and were surprised it struggled with 6 Bachmann Mk 1's. They said they fettled the bogie support bracket and removed the spring which improved haulage capacity but didnt then go beyond saying it would now move 6 Bachmanns.  

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

Latest copy of Hornby Mag just popped through the letter box. More a description than a review of the Caprotti version (to be fair they've already reviewed 5200) but they noted as others have above that its lighter than the  standard model and were surprised it struggled with 6 Bachmann Mk 1's. They said they fettled the bogie support bracket and removed the spring which improved haulage capacity but didnt then go beyond saying it would now move 6 Bachmanns.  

It'll be interesting to see what RM make of it, assuming they give it their normal loft layout haulage test - 3 foot radius curves on a 1:48 IIRC, hauling Hornby Pullmans.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The sound installation, lighting and coupling modifications to the Caprotti are now finished. The links to those two threads are further up this page.

Detailing also added, so just weathering and crew to do later.

DSC00440.JPG.266d6683f68acc7315795d1a92138181.JPG

I'm very happy with the final result, but it has taken quite some effort to get there. I would hope that Hornby can address the coupling length and lamp (size and positioning) issues on future models.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
On 01/07/2024 at 19:14, spamcan61 said:

It'll be interesting to see what RM make of it, assuming they give it their normal loft layout haulage test - 3 foot radius curves on a 1:48 IIRC, hauling Hornby Pullmans.

Having now read their review, they rather irritatingly don't include the usual haulage test.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
25 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Having now read their review, they rather irritatingly don't include the usual haulage test.

Which probably says a lot in itself . They have a habit of glossing over deficiencies 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Its a curious review/description pointing out some rather specific errors whilst ignoring the bigger picture, the biggest as you say being this 'maid of all workhorse' can't apparently (I haven't got one) pull the skin off a rice pudding! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

I think you know why that might be....more weight and modify the front truck pivot and springs.  (I am well pleased with mine now that is has been 'fixed'.) 

Also after having had the chassis in and out of the bodyshell so many times I have had to remake the rear sand pipes in nickel silver wire.  Using the bits of the broken plastic as a pattern it was a relatively easy process.  Cheers Ray

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

I think you know why that might be....more weight and modify the front truck pivot and springs.  (I am well pleased with mine now that is has been 'fixed'.) 

Also after having had the chassis in and out of the bodyshell so many times I have had to remake the rear sand pipes in nickel silver wire.  Using the bits of the broken plastic as a pattern it was a relatively easy process.  Cheers Ray

As usual with magazine reviews - if you can't say anything nice, say nothing.

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

As usual with magazine reviews - if you can't say anything nice, say nothing.

CJI.

Which is in diametric opposition to many on RMWeb. 😉

• Agree 3
  • Funny 5