Hornby 2022 Black 5 new tooling

MoonM

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, maico said:

Even a 5-year old knows how to dim a LED

Nope. Not markers. I've been trying to dim down some LEDs in some resin buildings. I'm only running them in 3v and I still get Glowing buildings. Tried adding a potentiometer but turning it down would only turn them off rather than dimming...

Tried using a permanent marker to zero avail, and then on my Esteemed Brother's advice I painted them with a thinned white acrylic paint, and that helped... A bit.

I suspect it's not going to look good if you end up having to paint these lamps' lenses white...

Yep, putting a resistor in the circuit would probably help best..

35 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

Nope. Not markers. I've been trying to dim down some LEDs in some resin buildings. I'm only running them in 3v and I still get Glowing buildings. Tried adding a potentiometer but turning it down would only turn them off rather than dimming...

Tried using a permanent marker to zero avail, and then on my Esteemed Brother's advice I painted them with a thinned white acrylic paint, and that helped... A bit.

I suspect it's not going to look good if you end up having to paint these lamps' lenses white...

Yep, putting a resistor in the circuit would probably help best..

Photographic ND gel cut to shape

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

As promised I have put together a Blog Post detailing my thoughts on the lamps and lamp irons and describing how I added some lead ballast - enjoy!

Regards  Ray

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

Regarding the lamp positions on the LMS Black 5.

According to the Hornby blurb one lamp on the centre buffer beam is "light engine", which I was going to leave as if I ever get round to building the layout it will be a shed scene, so that would appear to be right for locos coming and going to shed. However, yesterday I watched an old (1930's) LMS film about Royal Scot 6170 British Legion going on and off shed. Each time the single lamp was placed smokebox door top, not buffer beam, and on coupling to coaches it was moved to left buffer beam. These are both different to the BR positioning that Hornby quotes, so I presume the LMS system was different before BR standardisation, but I can't find what the LMS system was.

On 07/06/2024 at 15:58, cctransuk said:

Surely a potentiometer IS a resistor?

CJI.

A potentiometer is variable resistor so you are right. As to the original post, if you my earlier post I commented on some of these high visibility leds you can lower the current to virtually nothing and they are still bright. I used to do electronics as a job and I was amazed at the values of resistors I was using when adding lights to Hornby locos (because generally on their cheaper models they don't fit them).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Postscript

I have been playing with 44755 and have made a few more changes.  Firstly I had some time available and have made I think a better arrangement of my lead ballast.

53780319049_96942f26b4_o.jpg

Secondly I have had what I will call a layout specific problem.  At various locations 44755 would pause - why?  I think the clearance between the front bogie wheel and the chassis is very tight.  The start of my gradients must be rather abrupt and I think that causes the pony truck wheel to rub against the chassis, momentarily slowing the engine down.  I have had a file to the chassis.  I have now given it a coat of black paint and no-one need ever know!

53779068192_0ab603abf2_o.jpg

53780212428_76829cd2bb_o.jpg

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/06/2024 at 10:04, Als Yard said:

Glasgow Highlander is in stock now and looks great, but are the cylinders supposed to be unlined?

image.png

Seems to be a Scottish region thing, haven’t found a clear colour picture of 45157 yet but found several colour photos of Scottish region Black 5s with plain black cylinders as Hornby have modelled. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Silver Sidelines said:

Postscript

I have been playing with 44755 and have made a few more changes.  Firstly I had some time available and have made I think a better arrangement of my lead ballast.

53780319049_96942f26b4_o.jpg

Secondly I have had what I will call a layout specific problem.  At various locations 44755 would pause - why?  I think the clearance between the front bogie wheel and the chassis is very tight.  The start of my gradients must be rather abrupt and I think that causes the pony truck wheel to rub against the chassis, momentarily slowing the engine down.  I have had a file to the chassis.  I have now given it a coat of black paint and no-one need ever know!

53779068192_0ab603abf2_o.jpg

53780212428_76829cd2bb_o.jpg

Alternatively a set of Alan Gibson wheels would enhance the look of the front end and the finer flange would give greater clearance. 

• Like 5

On 08/06/2024 at 19:05, Wheatley said:

1937 LMS General Appendix:

20240608_190410.jpg.0f670e7dfab780af243a2ce9615974d3.jpg

Thanks for that, looks the same as the Hornby blurb. I don't know why the film was different, but the title is On The Shed, parts 1 & 2 if anyone wants to watch it on Youtube.

• Like 1

Can't explain the headlamp top centre instead of top middle, but at 17.57 he puts one over the left buffer and moves the other from top centre to right buffer to make the correct Class 1 code. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, daltonparva said:

Thanks for that, looks the same as the Hornby blurb. I don't know why the film was different, but the title is On The Shed, parts 1 & 2 if anyone wants to watch it on Youtube.

I think the Hornby one is based on the 1950 RCH standard headcodes. There are some subtle differences from the LMS 1937 version.

LMR 1950 Headcode SN.pdf

• Like 2

Thanks. Top middle is still an ordinary passenger train on that one though. 

It's entirely possible that there was a local instruction that light engines for express passenger trains were to be signalled as Class 2s (Class B on the 1950 list) to stop the signalman regulating them and delaying the outgoing expresses. I don't know if it was done then but these days high priority empty stock can be signalled as Class 3 instead of Class 5 to stop ARS dyking them behind something else.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

Thanks. Top middle is still an ordinary passenger train on that one though. 

It's entirely possible that there was a local instruction that light engines for express passenger trains were to be signalled as Class 2s (Class B on the 1950 list) to stop the signalman regulating them and delaying the outgoing expresses. I don't know if it was done then but these days high priority empty stock can be signalled as Class 3 instead of Class 5 to stop ARS dyking them behind something else.  

Getting a bit off the LMR topic, the Southern route-based codes certainly catered for that.

Despite no more than three boxes being involved in such movements, there was a specific code for light engines between Exmouth Junction MPD and Exeter Central.

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

I think the Hornby one is based on the 1950 RCH standard headcodes. There are some subtle differences from the LMS 1937 version.

LMR 1950 Headcode SN.pdf 60.94 kB · 13 downloads

The 1950s change standardised the classification headlamp codes across all Regions (excluding the SR and any route specific codes used on other Regions).  There were, as usual, some subsequent minor changes, prior to the conversion to numerical (instead of alpha) classification in the early 1960s.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

The 1950s change standardised the classification headlamp codes across all Regions (excluding the SR and any route specific codes used on other Regions).

.... which, of course, excepted the S&DJR, which used a totally different, though simpler, lamp code !

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

The lamp issue is very interesting.  I think the handles are the key to the issue.  The prototype handles were made of very thin steel - looking at  pictures they do not really show up.  Modelling them in 'thick' plastic I think is silly.

I have been rummaging through my boxes of bits and have resurrected some Kenline LMS lamps.  They don't have handles.   I have added one to 44755.  The Kenline models are faithful to the protype and have a 'lump' of white metal sticking out at the back to represent the bracket to hang over the lamp iron.  I have cut the lump off and made a little groove so that the lamp pushes up closer to the lamp iron.  No way am I gluing things to models, the lamp is held in postion with a tiny piece of double sided tape.  I might add lamps to some other models.

53782600556_957113a745_o.jpg

53781662457_26ce9a60c5_o.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
On 10/06/2024 at 19:45, Silver Sidelines said:

I might add lamps to some other models.

For interest some pictures of that other new Hornby model. again fitted with Kenline black ex LMS lamps.  I still marvel that Hornby could produce this model with a backdated smoke box door.  The top lamp hides the moulded lamp iron.  The smoke box dart is another matter.  I would comment that even with two or three attempts at positioning the little lamps, using double sided tape is far less stressful than carving off bits of plastic moulding.

53786155346_b957fe934c_o.jpg

53786574130_4c2d99ed49_o.jpg

53786156081_a51fbb771f_o.jpg

Edited by Silver Sidelines
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

The gap has been closed from 5.5mm to 3mm.

DSC00201.JPG.7eb6c43fd911b361c4f14b9cd8f79cfb.JPG

A separate thread has been used for the description.

DSC00199.JPG.f20f6b9a04f7e274661595ff91bef7da.JPG

• Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, matchmaker said:

According to my 1960 "Observers" a light engine has one lamp centre bufferbeam and one lamp right bufferbeam (looking from the front).

I wonder where they conjured that up from - somewhere on the Southern maybe?   The standard RCH headlamp code for a light engine was one lamp in the centre above the buffer plank (aka buffer beam), and that goes back to before the Great War.  

The code you describe was a Class E Express freight in 1960.

• Agree 4