13 minutes ago, Downer said:

It seems to be drunk!

The company ethos at Hornby's contractor would seem to be "It'll do"! 🤣

Time to get a grip, Hornby! 🤔

CJI.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

My Caprotti has also arrived and is currently on the rolling road , and i can report that it is sober ! 

IMG_6774.jpg

Edited by resin001
added photo
  • Like 11
  • Funny 1

• Administrators
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

We know that Bachmann test a sample from each batch of models delivered ex factory to Barwell - one out of several hundreds or thousands of whatever.

They also test 100% after assembly and before packaging at the factory to check they run.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 6

10 minutes ago, resin001 said:

My Caprotti has also arrived and is currently on the rolling road , and i can report that it is sober ! 

IMG_6774.jpg

Running plate looks straight, dome correctly positioned, and it's got a smokebox door handle. Looks like you've got a good'un. Fingers crossed for everyone elses.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Running plate looks straight, dome correctly positioned, and it's got a smokebox door handle. Looks like you've got a good'un. Fingers crossed for everyone elses.

Hes not run it round a curve yet 😃

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Looking good 👍 👍 

We might be lucky, this loco may have been manufactured at a different factory compared to the LMS version?

Anyhow, looking forward to collecting mine from the PO tomorrow 🤞🤞

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

6 hours ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

Oh that's OK really because;

"If you want that particular loco, and there isn't one from another producer, it IS 'take it or leave it' !

(wonder who said that ?).

• Funny 2

• Administrators
1 minute ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

does the same go for Hornby ?

The honest answer is that I don't know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, cctransuk said:

CJI.

Maybe they might "get a grip" if all their dodgy models were returned at source rather than being made to work/bodged by purchasers.

Otherwise Hornby really doesn't need to give a tinkers damn, do they?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, GrumpyPenguin said:

Oh that's OK really because;

"If you want that particular loco, and there isn't one from another producer, it IS 'take it or leave it' !

(wonder who said that ?).

Right, let me spell it out for you!

Hornby models shouldn't have so many defects / failures - agreed?

The chances of everyone who receives a faulty model sending it back - especially if they can fix it - are zero.

So your contention that Hornby would produce better models if all faulty ones were returned is not a realistic option - right?

No point in keeping repeating yourself - right?

CJI.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, rorz101uk said:

IMG_6201.jpeg

Clearly fitting of the smokebox door is allocated to the same level of 'make do' unskilled staff as with car dealers who nearly always manage to fit the number plates on new cars wonky. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

DPD delivery Monday. Armageddon…..or Deliverance ?

For photos of the actual 44755 and another of 44742,source Eric Treacy “Steam Up “ . 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

DPD delivery Monday. Armageddon…..or Deliverance ?

Same here Ian, delivery was supposedly scheduled for today!

When I saw the spiel about "leaving the package in a safe place" I took the safe option of redirecting it the local PO ☺️☺️

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

So managed to sort the smokebox door, I think it was held with a bit of glue plus the magnet that I thinks on there, I have to take the body of 4 times because the lamp wouldn’t light up when running! Now sorted! 

not really sure why they have put a class H headcode, would have thought local or express passenger would have been better? 

I’m reluctant in changing the headcode. I think you have to remove the body off and push from the bottom? 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Posted (edited)

Some people are making quality comparisons between the new Hornby Black 5 and Continental models so I thought I'd compare the two.

Roco 230 F 607, SNCF (4-6-0) 449.90 Euros (£383.51)from Roco. Model is DC analogue. 

https://www.roco.cc/ren/products/locomotives/steam-locomotives/71385-steam-locomotive-230-f-607-sncf.html

Hornby Black 5 DC analogue (DCC ready) £229.99 from Hornby

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lms-stanier-5mt-black-5-4-6-0-5200-era-3-r30224

So perhaps if we want Continental quality we need to pay continental prices.

Edited by JeremyC
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

39 minutes ago, JeremyC said:

Some people are making quality comparisons between the new Hornby Black 5 and Continental models so I thought I'd compare the two.

Roco 230 F 607, SNCF (4-6-0) 449.90 Euros (£383.51)from Roco. Model is DC analogue. 

https://www.roco.cc/ren/products/locomotives/steam-locomotives/71385-steam-locomotive-230-f-607-sncf.html

Hornby Black 5 DC analogue (DCC ready) £229.99 from Hornby

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lms-stanier-5mt-black-5-4-6-0-5200-era-3-r30224

So perhaps if we want Continental quality we need to pay continental prices.

This notion of continental quality is a straw man argument.

We don't need continental quality from Hornby.

We just need Accurascale or Rapido quality.

Those companies - plus Bachmann - for the most part generally seem to be able to achieve what seems impossible for Margate and within either the same pricing bracket or cheaper.

How is this wizardry possible?

Over the past few years the number of Hornby locos I've returned as defective/damaged must be into double figures, off the top of my head: A2/2, A3, A4 (Dublo), BR 2MT, Clan, J36, plus a Rocket pack. In the same time period I've only had to return one blue box loco and that was a 40 whose DCC chip fried itself the first time it had power applied.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4

Be interesting to compare the Roco model price : monthly wage in Germany and France, with Hornby model price : monthly wage in UK.

Net (purchasing power parity) in Euros per month is:

UK 3127

France 3556

Germany 4667

So, assuming the Roco/Hornby models are the same price in France and Germany, we get the % the model costs in each country of the monthly wage:

Roco model       UK = 14.4%  Fr = 12.7%  Ger = 9.6%
Hornby model   UK =  8.6%   Fr = 7.6%    Ger = 5.8% 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

As has been highlighted by Bon Accord, other UK outline suppliers provide models which do deliver out of the box without the sort of issues that seem to plague some Hornby releases. They also achieve levels of fidelity to prototype and finish second to none. So I don't think it's as simple as 'UK outline bad/continental good' (and as an enthusiast of overseas railways it's not like HO manufacturers don't have problems). Only Hornby are in a position to know the real position, even they may not be aware given that quite a few Hornby locomotives especially seem to go to collectors with no intention of running them, which may be part of the problem as a significant percentage of those buying Hornby locomotives will never notice such problems. 

In fairness I have to say I've had very few problems with Hornby. I don't buy that much from them now (not because I'm avoiding them, I have most of the British outline I want) but I bought lots of lovely Southern models, as well as GWR and despite a lot of commentary here and elsewhere the models I received were fine.

• Like 1