Hornby 2022 - Dublo range inc A4

AY Mod

2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Looks like Dublo’s lustre is wearing off if they are now on sale.

I was always concerned they’d over cook it doing too many.

Or plain too expensive?

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

My thought originally was if they kept it special, like Bachmanns wooden box limited editions in the 1990’s.. just a few at a time in a limited run, they could have got a cult following and decades on it.. just as ooworks has for instance.

instead they just gunned it with anything / everything in large varieties and now its just an expensive model on the shelf with nothing special to it, and being discounted is the final nail in it…

in short they made a steak house and treated it like a mcdonalds.

Price wise, inflation is close to over taking it anyway..

Edited by adb968008
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I'm somewhat surprised how low the sale has gone. Expected to see ~£250 rather than £200. From SNE and DoC they look like fine locos in my eyes. If I didn't already have DoC I would have definitely gone for it now. Personally I would welcome some more Dublo A3's at around £280ish.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Looks like Dublo’s lustre is wearing off if they are now on sale.

I was always concerned they’d over cook it doing too many.

Interesting that the ones that disappeared quickly (other than Mallard which will sell regardless) were the ones that were as per current or fairly recent in service condition?

I'd have considered Bittern at £200 if it had the fairing cut away (as it did when it was last running).

Obviously if it's a GG 10th anniversary set then you need them in the GG condition, but the ones without recent mainline relevance were always going to be the worst sellers.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

Interesting that the ones that disappeared quickly (other than Mallard which will sell regardless) were the ones that were as per current or fairly recent in service condition?

I'd have considered Bittern at £200 if it had the fairing cut away (as it did when it was last running).

Obviously if it's a GG 10th anniversary set then you need them in the GG condition, but the ones without recent mainline relevance were always going to be the worst sellers.

Exactly my reasoning. SNG was for as per current day and DoC was for hauling the full Coronation set.

21 minutes ago, E100 said:

Exactly my reasoning. SNG was for as per current day and DoC was for hauling the full Coronation set.

Although being slightly pedantic on it, the OHLE stickers on SNG aren't quite the same as current. I did however buy it for being in near as dammit current condition. I got Mallard too just because I wanted a model of it and held out for a special one such as this.

• Agree 1

It is interesting when they released the first one Duchess of Atholl (I think that was the one) they were sold out immediately on preorder. That continued and then as someone said they made too many. I got Dwight D Eisenhower at a cheap price which was really good as I was thinking of buying it but couldn't justify the cost. Compared to some of their other models they are not that expensive considering it is a diecast body and the A4s are really nice locos. I would have bought one of those latest ones on offer but I prefer the BR versions with the valances removed. Funny I complain about Hornby pricing but I thought that their price was quite reasonable for what they are, I compared them with what a Wrenn would cost if they still made them.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I think another issue with the HD A4 tooling is that its too closely related to to the main range plastic version which good as it is is now looking its age. I was tempted by 60008 for the bargain £199 but was ultimately put off by the fact I already have 3 A4's from the main range and whilst the finish of the HD model is better the shape of the front cab windows are so obviously 'off' presumably to accommodate the minimum thickness needed for casting.  

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I think another issue with the HD A4 tooling is that its too closely related to to the main range plastic version which good as it is is now looking its age. I was tempted by 60008 for the bargain £199 but was ultimately put off by the fact I already have 3 A4's from the main range and whilst the finish of the HD model is better the shape of the front cab windows are so obviously 'off' presumably to accommodate the minimum thickness needed for casting.  

Agreed, whilst nice, and nice price,I didnt think it was necessary to upgrade and I stuck with my 10 year old one.., less reticence to running the old one too.

Some got a bargain but I doubt we’ll see many more £199 Dublo locos.

• Agree 1

20 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

And plus the moulding line along the sides of the boiler. Imho the overall finish is no better than the sanda kan made A4 models. Although I admit better than the latest batch of main range models. But offset by front windows and mould lines

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, G-BOAF said:

overall finish is no better than the sanda kan made A4 models

Agree with all you have said - by 'finish' I meant decoration - shade of green and quality of lining which I do think are better than the SK versions and most recent Hornby