Hornby 2022 - Dublo range inc A4

AY Mod

This is why I have decided to not purchase any more Hornby.  On top of "Titgate" it really does show utter contempt both for model shop owners and modellers.  It's also the polar opposite of what Bachmann and others are doing to support their retail networks.

Hornby are doing nothing to rebuild their reputation and I don't blame retailers for giving up on the brand.  

• Like 3
  • Agree 12
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, wombatofludham said:

This is why I have decided to not purchase any more Hornby.  On top of "Titgate" it really does show utter contempt both for model shop owners and modellers.  It's also the polar opposite of what Bachmann and others are doing to support their retail networks.

Hornby are doing nothing to rebuild their reputation and I don't blame retailers for giving up on the brand.  

The thing that leaves a bad taste though is that remember this Management rode to the rescue ridiculing the previous Management and promising to improve relations with retailers .  Some improvement when they give them nothing to sell . And they can’t blame Covid or allocations from China when these items are available on their own website .

It stinks ! 

• Agree 9

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Legend said:

The thing that leaves a bad taste though is that remember this Management rode to the rescue ridiculing the previous Management and promising to improve relations with retailers .  Some improvement when they give them nothing to sell . And they can’t blame Covid or allocations from China when these items are available on their own website .

It stinks ! 

Yes thats what puzzles me. This is exactly the problem the previous management had, and which partly caused their downfall. The current management came in, promised changes (which I think did occur), and recognised the error of the previous regime.

Yet here they are, repeating all the same mistakes - why?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, JohnR said:

Yes thats what puzzles me. This is exactly the problem the previous management had, and which partly caused their downfall. The current management came in, promised changes (which I think did occur), and recognised the error of the previous regime.

Yet here they are, repeating all the same mistakes - why?

They need more money and have come to the conclusion that they can keep their own and retailer margin when selling direct . Stuff the retailers .  But being the great management team they are they’ve only just come to the conclusion the previous , much derided ,management came to 5 years ago . 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Legend said:

They need more money and have come to the conclusion that they can keep their own and retailer margin when selling direct . Stuff the retailers .  But being the great management team they are they’ve only just come to the conclusion the previous , much derided ,management came to 5 years ago . 

But the point is that this tactic didnt work then. So why is it being done now? 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Was Simon Kohler part of the other management team?

Just asking...

No. He was on his “sabbatical “ 

30 minutes ago, JohnR said:

But the point is that this tactic didnt work then. So why is it being done now? 

It takes time to turn a ship . Maybe it was working …………

12 hours ago, wombatofludham said:

Rebuild reputation? Hornby management must be laughing so hard at you (and the rest of us). They certainly think they have an excellent reputation, so what's to rebuild?

For the past year when discussing on Hornby, I used to say "Credit where credit's due", and I was rather tempted by the 9F decorated sample. But looking at all these it's getting extremely difficult to say "Credit where credit's due" and I doubt anyone can confidently say it out loud.

(I still buy low-priced Hornby products from retailers but that might change in the future)

• RMweb Premium
On 04/07/2022 at 03:20, Legend said:

It stinks ! 

It was hard to keep up with who was trying to manage Hornby for a while but I thought the team replaced by LD was treated harshly by many enthusiasts.

OK there was stuff to criticize but they also did some things right. They abandoned the'design clever' idea and trying to serve both the Railroad and full fat ranges with the same tooling. They took a decision to focus on highly detailed models for enthusiasts and they had started getting their supply chain working again. Which was a major improvement given the complete train wreck they inherited as a result of Hornby having been far too dependent on SK. Although the finances were dire their product was going in the right direction and things were really turning around. Their communication with customers was very good too, the Engine Shed was a great step forward.

They were clearly moving towards a direct sales model and I do think they were a bit shoddy in the way they were massively under cutting retailers with their online fire sales but that is more an issue with implementation of direct sales.

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

R30112 35026 Lamport & Holt Line is available now. Hornby have said that demand is incredibly high and stock is limited. If demand is incredibly high why is Hornby limiting the numbers to 500 and why are some retailers discounting the models to £288.99 when the recommended retail price is £320.99? I would be interested to read some reviews of this model and to see how it compares with the Wrenn airsmoothed West Country class locomotives. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

51 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

R30112 35026 Lamport & Holt Line is available now. Hornby have said that demand is incredibly high and stock is limited. If demand is incredibly high why is Hornby limiting the numbers to 500 and why are some retailers discounting the models to £288.99 when the recommended retail price is £320.99? I would be interested to read some reviews of this model and to see how it compares with the Wrenn airsmoothed West Country class locomotives. 

The previous HD Airsmooth Merchant Navy class variants of General Steam Navigation and Elder Fyfes were excellent models.

As for the discount, this is the maximum permitted percentage of 10% as allowed by Hornby for new releases.

IMO, you really can't compare these beauties with the inaccurate Wrenn Railways offering, which are now 40+ years old.

I have no reason to suspect that Lamport and Holt line will be any different!

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Sounds like it’s FMJ month at Hornby. I indulged in 35026 and it is indeed rather a beautiful model. But then Hornby’s airsmoothed MN is in the plastic as well. A blue metal A4 is likewise tempting…which is how my model railway passion commenced at Selfridges ,Xmas 1950…No:7 SNG& tinplate Gresleys. Get thee behind me,Satan…

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trevor Hammond said:

Collected my SNG and Gannet from my dealer this afternoon.  Superb paint finish and colour rendition.  Excellent runners.  So smooth, quiet and powerful. 

20230324_154740.jpg

IMG_20230324_161730_628.jpg

20230324_154859-1.jpg

20230324_153827.jpg

That green looks incredible 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Livery looks great.

Really dont like the cab front windows - too small presumably to allow for the thickness of the diecast cab roof. Im surprised the cab is diecast rather than plastic on these. They also dont seem to have captured the transverse camber on the cods mouth which was missed on both the plastic A4 and W1 tooling (but accordingg to the TV documentary was something they were keen to include on recent designs)

I was expecting something more advanced than the 2004 plastic tooling. But i guess it goes to show just how good that design really is.

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just received my SNG this afternoon and Wow what a model!

Runs smoothly straight out of the box, no damage, flaws in the paint work or bits falling off.

Additionally, the packaging is so much better than before.

I must say I approve of the BR Brunswick green, new close coupled tender drawbar, flickering firebox and the painted crew in the accessory pack.

I can now confidently look forward to Union of SA and Dwight D Eisenhower arriving.

Well done Hornby on a marvelous model, please keep it up!

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Like 4