Hornby 2022 - Wagons

AY Mod

On 10/01/2022 at 11:39, cctransuk said:

In the main, same old same old - ancient 20th Century models at 21st Century prices.

Wagons sell in multiples, and yet they still don't have decent, accurate models of the most basic range of wagons.

Why do they think that the wagon kit market exists - because the RTR sector won't invest in the most basic of wagon provision.

Pathetic!

CJI.

Absolutely John.

I joined BR in 1978 and went into a marshalling yard in 1980. The classic vacuum braked traffic was drawing to a close in the 1980s but by 1980 there were several designs of vacuum braked 12T vans, several subtly different designs of 16T minral wagon, 21T hoppers, tailed mostly by 20T BR std brake vans or LMS (Stanier design) 20T brakevans.   These were staples which lasted the longest in service in BR days, and are what the modeller needs to recreate a "classic" freight train in the BR blue TOPS era. You can obviously build in various steel carriers, tank wagons etc but 16t minerals and 12T vans with a 20T brakevan are essential.         

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

On 28/12/2022 at 22:33, newbryford said:

If anyone has the original release drax wagons and the new version - is there a difference in weight?

I had my hands (on a weekend loan) on a couple of the originals and they were very light and would try to derail at any opportunity.

I ran my wagons last night. They are light, even though there is already a metal weight in there but it is easy to put additional weight into as the whole body pops off easily.

I have an issue with one of mine derailing (on a bit of track that could probably do with relaying), so added some weight to see if it helped, it didn't.

10 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

I ran my wagons last night. They are light, even though there is already a metal weight in there but it is easy to put additional weight into as the whole body pops off easily.

I have an issue with one of mine derailing (on a bit of track that could probably do with relaying), so added some weight to see if it helped, it didn't.

I haven’t had opportunity to run mine but on placing on the track I wasn’t sure of the gauging on mine - there seemed a lot of sideways play on the bogies. I don’t have a b2b measure but might be worth checking?

16 minutes ago, scouse889 said:

I haven’t had opportunity to run mine but on placing on the track I wasn’t sure of the gauging on mine - there seemed a lot of sideways play on the bogies. I don’t have a b2b measure but might be worth checking?

Yeah I am going to have a better look when I get chance. I just couldn't be bothered last night. I took that one off the layout and the rest went round fine. The track in question is slightly uneven and means that the bogie can slip off at one particular point if there isn't enough play between bogie and wagon.

These are absolutely brilliant value for money though. They won't cost much to make but they have a decent amount of detail for the amount of parts fitted.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Yeah I am going to have a better look when I get chance. I just couldn't be bothered last night. I took that one off the layout and the rest went round fine. The track in question is slightly uneven and means that the bogie can slip off at one particular point if there isn't enough play between bogie and wagon.

These are absolutely brilliant value for money though. They won't cost much to make but they have a decent amount of detail for the amount of parts fitted.

Best of luck getting it sorted. Would be interested to know if the b2b's are out on any of yours.

With regard to value, I couldn't agree more, and it just shows that Hornby are able to produce good quality, popular wagons at competitve prices. I would like to see them do more of this in the future - rather than for example giving us stuff like this, which works out at almost the same price for two as the twin pack Drax wagons: https://uk.Hornby.com/products/lowmac-coca-cola-bottle-r60170.

I won't pretend to understand how they work out prices and prepare myself to be shot down here, but to me things like this only makes sense if either (1) the Coke wagon is vastly overinflated in price or (2) the Drax wagons are significantly underpriced. Personally, I can't see Hornby underpricing anything and making a loss on them which rules out (2) for me - and "when you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth".....

I pick on the Coke wagon as it's just the first thing I could think of, but there are many other comparative examples out there in my mind.....

• Like 2

Were showing on ModelRailwaysDirect as having some stock available to pre-order few moments ago …

https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/rolling-stock-freight/Hornby-r60176-drax-biomass-wagon-pack-1-83-70-0698-012-7-era-11/

https://www.modelrailwaysdirect.co.uk/rolling-stock-freight/Hornby-r60177-drax-biomass-wagon-pack-2-83-70-0698-012-7-era-11/

(Also the earlier links for Antics on previous page are still showing stock but maybe a need to phone them and order as does not appear to allow online ordering for these and the number available has been decreasing …).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RJennings said:

Were showing on ModelRailwaysDirect as having some stock available to pre-order few moments ago

I cancelled 2 of each this afternoon, maybe why.

I actually ended up with exactly the amount I wanted and got the rest I had on order cancelled. Felt it was the fairest thing to do. My selling them on on eBay for more than RRP to cover my costs (not profiteering) only benefits eBay.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

despite spending 2 days last year ordering just enough to get a set, taking me through several retailers… they all canceled on me within that week.

ive got zero.

The resulting annoyance saw me cancel almost all of my other pre-orders at that time.

I held true to that too, looking back on my purchases, my Hornby spend floored last year.

Edited by adb968008
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

they all canceled on me within that week.

I think they massively underestimated demand in general, and this was exacerbated by not communicating the pack contents clearly. At least they reacted and upped their production run!

1 hour ago, TomScrut said:

I think they massively underestimated demand in general, and this was exacerbated by not communicating the pack contents clearly. At least they reacted and upped their production run!

Is that not a Hornby trait anyway ?

IMHO Hornby do not think the way their customers do. Just like buiilding rakes of coaches.  Unless we are thinking of the Southern with it's three coach rakes of BSK+CK+BSK the majority of trains have one or sometimes two brake coaches, some first and a lot more second class. So if I was manufacturing I would make 6X as many seconds as firsts. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Is that not a Hornby trait anyway ?

IMHO Hornby do not think the way their customers do. Just like buiilding rakes of coaches.  Unless we are thinking of the Southern with it's three coach rakes of BSK+CK+BSK the majority of trains have one or sometimes two brake coaches, some first and a lot more second class. So if I was manufacturing I would make 6X as many seconds as firsts. 

To their credit with mk3 and mk4’s they have been making full rakes.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

To their credit with mk3 and mk4’s they have been making full rakes.

It's a funny one though. In mk4s, making equal numbers of each wouldn't work either. Everyone would want coach A (IIRC), the one that goes into the 91 without a corridor end. Likewise most with more than a couple of coaches would want a buffet. For example if I wanted a 5 coach 91/mk4 rake I'd want 1 end coach, 2 ordinary seconds (probably one TS and one TSD) and then buffet and a first of some sort.

So actually the market for end coach and buffet is probably bigger than each individually lettered coach, but then if you group the double ended coaches by class then you need more seconds than firsts, more firsts than end coaches (which are also seconds) and more end coaches than buffet's, but more buffets than each individually lettered coach from first and second (excluding the end coach).

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, TomScrut said:

It's a funny one though. In mk4s, making equal numbers of each wouldn't work either. Everyone would want coach A (IIRC), the one that goes into the 91 without a corridor end. Likewise most with more than a couple of coaches would want a buffet. For example if I wanted a 5 coach 91/mk4 rake I'd want 1 end coach, 2 ordinary seconds (probably one TS and one TSD) and then buffet and a first of some sort.

So actually the market for end coach and buffet is probably bigger than each individually lettered coach, but then if you group the double ended coaches by class then you need more seconds than firsts, more firsts than end coaches (which are also seconds) and more end coaches than buffet's, but more buffets than each individually lettered coach from first and second (excluding the end coach).

Admittedly I did just that, I looked at the GNER and IC mk4’s decided the upgrade wasnt worth it and i’d achieve similar standard myself with less than 30 mins effort and a roco coupling…

So I just bought the  DVT as even the livery was a very close match and a good upgrade.

But are the TOE buffers on the wrong ends of both Intercity and GNER coach B?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

On 30/12/2022 at 14:40, roy h said:

Yes they are just had a chat with them on the phone to double check what’s going on and the will check with there Hornby rep as been going there for years so at this moment I’ll take it as a genuine mistake. Thanks for the help gents 

I have Got it all sorted. It was due to the wagons coming in over Xmas and new year. 

15 hours ago, adb968008 said:

But are the TOE buffers on the wrong ends of both Intercity and GNER coach B?

I think they were wrong on the artwork in the catalogue, but correct on the models themselves (should be at the large window end, not the small window end).

Edited by scouse889
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, HighPeak45 said:

Hi. Has anyone received their Hornby Bio mass wagons yet from either Kernows or Cheltenham Model Centre? I have an order in with both but not received anything yet. 

Ordered mine from Kernow when I posted the links previous page and received them yesterday. If being sent via Royal Mail then may just be delayed with their current industrial action unfortunately.