Bovey Quay

Gedward

4 minutes ago, Gedward said:

This whole diorama is based on this library image, which I've now purchased. 

the-rugged-terrain-of-bodmin-moor-in-cornwall-withthe-peaks-of-roughtor-F0DM7H.jpg

Looks lovely and tranquil in that picture but I wouldn't want to be caught out there in bad weather....

• Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, KNP said:

Looks lovely and tranquil in that picture but I wouldn't want to be caught out there in bad weather....

On the subject of bad weather, I'll be dialling down the saturation, as I'm after more moody than sunny.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, John Besley said:

Any particular reason you went for Bodmin Moor instead of Dartmoor?

No reason at all.

Because I'm building a fictional diorama, I had a much larger search area available to me. I searched Exmoor, Dartmoor, every blimming moor. 😀

As I said in my opening post, for me, sticking to a prototype is far too limiting and frustrating unless you have the space of Heaton Lodge.

"We want to be free to do what we want to do."

Edited by Gedward
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

Kicking off the painting stage with this palette. May add some other colours along the way, but this should get me mostly there.

So the idea here is to paint the backscene and the furthermost terrain. Hoping that this will help to blend the two together. But this is all an experiment, so I expect I'll make changes along the way. I will add scaled down talus, crumb and ground scatter where appropriate. Then coming forward, using very fine static grass.

Demo_7a.jpg

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium
On 16/09/2022 at 12:50, Graham T said:

How quickly are the oil paints drying on the plaster George?

It's all clay, I haven't used plaster. Roughly about a day. But I am using a drying oil and a fast drying white, which helps.

Edited by Gedward
typos
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Last night the rest of the terrain was painted in a brown soil colour. Once this has dried I can get started on laying static grass. But until then, made a start on building up the terrain on the other side of the tracks.

Demo_13a.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Gedward said:

The latest update on the diorama. Have been laying 1 and 2mm static grass, in various colours. Will increase the height as we move forward.

Demo_14a.jpg

Demo_14b.jpg

Demo_14c.jpg

Very impressive

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Gedward said:

The latest update on the diorama. Have been laying 1 and 2mm static grass, in various colours. Will increase the height as we move forward.

Demo_14a.jpg

Demo_14b.jpg

Demo_14c.jpg

Tidy. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1