Bovey Quay

Gedward

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Graham. I think you can tell I'm loving this new scale. It really does open up a bunch of possibilities. And despite being larger, it's still only 60mm across the roof.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Gedward said:

A bit further on with this little project. Still need to add the small details and add a bit of texture to the surroundings.

The roof is still wet, hence a bit shiny shiny.

Shed_WIP02.jpg

Mange tout, George. 

Il est trés bonne !! 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks John. Glad you like the roof, first time working with copper sheet.

The moving is going well, I believe. Just waiting for the magic word, 'exchange'. I know you've been through this recently.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning George, 

Found myself back here this morning. I can't help but repeatedly return to look at that lovely little shed. 

Very inspiring indeed. 

Rob.  

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning George, 

Found myself back here this morning. I can't help but repeatedly return to look at that lovely little shed. 

Very inspiring indeed. 

Rob.  

Morning Rob,

Thanks so much. I'm quite pleased with it. But...

Because it's my first in 7mm, a lot of this I'm doing for the first time. Also using new materials like the copper sheet for the roof and hardware. So I decided to re-do the roof as I wasn't 100% happy with it. 😎

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Yesterday I completed the baseboard. And today getting stuck into the fun bit, landscape building.

Starting with a 110 cm Lack shelf, I've now extended the depth to 45 cm on the L/H edge narrowing to 40 cm on the R/H edge.

Using a lot of the past experience gained from Bovey Tor. So starting with a bunch of grey foam and the hot wire cutter. To build up the basic landscape form. After that I'll use either clay or plaster to finesse the contours. The big difference is that I painted the backscene first before, but I'm doing the reverse this time round.

Demo_01a.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John Besley said:

Watching with interest how you graduate the scenery into the backscene

Anyway, that is the main reason for this project. Hoping to find a way to blend an oil painted backscene and the model. When planning Bovey Tor, I looked at using a photographic backscene. There are some really good ones out there. Then I considered taking some panoramic shots and using Photoshop's stitching facility. But in the end I decided to paint it myself based on a library photo. That way I could control the content, the composition and most importantly, the colour and values.  For me, the type of greens used in the landscape is equally as important as the green used on a GWR loco. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Starting with the library image I purchased. I gridded it up in PS. Then scaled it up on tracing paper and this is used as a guide for placement of the main elements. As we're all aware, lots of editing needed to make it work.

Demo_02a.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Silas said:

An artist at work - great to watch, George.  Please keep the updates coming

Thanks Silas, I shall indeed keep the updates coming. Will no doubt help me down the road. If someone asks how did you do that? And I can't for the life of me remember. 😎

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Thanks Silas, I shall indeed keep the updates coming. Will no doubt help me down the road. If someone asks how did you do that? And I can't for the life of me remember. 😎

That's one of the main reasons for my thread.  And then I can't remember where I put the bits I saved because I wouldn't be able to remember them... 

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I've spent most of today on Bodmin Moor, but getting there I think. Once the rest of the scene is at this stage, I'll cover the rocks with dental plaster and carve them back. Like I did with the bricks on the shed.

Demo_03a.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Graham T said:

All carved George?  Looks very good.

Yep, the green stuff is Chavant NSP clay. It's a professional plasticine.  The next stage will be dental plaster to achieve finer detail. I didn't use plaster on Bovey Tor.

But found it very easy to carve the bricks on the shed.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

I did a number of tests with various plasters. But went with the harder grade of clay in the end. So well on the way to adding detail. Both adding and subtracting clay to this as it progresses. Then after a coat of PVA, I'll get started painting.

Demo_4a.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

The background terrain is complete in terms of modelling. Tomorrow I'll get started oil painting the rocks and furthermost areas.

As the boulders are so small I'll add them apply them separately like adding ballast to tracks.

Demo_6a.jpg

Demo_6b.jpg

Demo_6c.jpg

Edited by Gedward
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1