Hornby 2022 - Diesel/Electric Range

AY Mod

Hi,

The 755 looks fantastic, I was a bit weary of how it might turn out as I’ve been a bit disappointed with Hornby MUs in the past, this looks really good! 

I don’t need one at all, but have a professional interest in MMMUs (Multi-Mode Multiple Units), and like the look of the real things!

I wander if this is a ‘pet’ project by one of the designers in Hornby, I thought it was an slightly odd choice for Hornby and the amount of detail that is being put into the model makes me think that a designer has convinced Simon to do their favourite unit and been allowed to go to town on it?

Simon

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

6 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

The 755 looks fantastic, I was a bit weary of how it might turn out as I’ve been a bit disappointed with Hornby MUs in the past, this looks really good! 

I don’t need one at all, but have a professional interest in MMMUs (Multi-Mode Multiple Units), and like the look of the real things!

I wander if this is a ‘pet’ project by one of the designers in Hornby, I thought it was an slightly odd choice for Hornby and the amount of detail that is being put into the model makes me think that a designer has convinced Simon to do their favourite unit and been allowed to go to town on it?

Simon

They gave as the reason for a 755 the fact that as a new 'modern' train the tooling is likely to have a long life with livery variants etc. Being bi-mode and  used in short formations it is also very versatile and can be accurately used quite widely.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Don't know if it has been mentioned prior in the thread, but the Hornby TTS BR blue (nigh on black!) class 08, R3898TTS. It is numbered as 3817, and has high level brake pipes. I'm not hot on class 08 details, and thought only the 09s had the additional pipes. Anyone shed any light on the prototype?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
52 minutes ago, blueeighties said:

Don't know if it has been mentioned prior in the thread, but the Hornby TTS BR blue (nigh on black!) class 08, R3898TTS. It is numbered as 3817, and has high level brake pipes. I'm not hot on class 08 details, and thought only the 09s had the additional pipes. Anyone shed any light on the prototype?

Some Southern Region 08s had high level pipes.

Didn't take long to find that 3817 became 08650 and a flickr pic..

08650 @ Salisbury 11th September 1984 copyright PWS collection 2017

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 24/06/2022 at 17:21, JackB95 said:

Very impressive 755 CAD. Looks like it'll be a delicious model.

I'm intrigued as to how the dual-motor set up will work. Following with interest 👀

Tech specs on the website says a 3 pole motor….that makes me nervous

https://uk.Hornby.com/products/greater-anglia-class-7554-flirt-4-car-train-pack-era-11-r3964

Now where have I just seen this feature released recently….

The Class 755 FLIRT is equipped with a 21 pin decoder socket with easy access via a roof panel. 

Wasn't it the Soviets who said imitation is the ultimate form of flattery ?

• Like 1

On 01/07/2022 at 13:25, Johan DC said:

Class 90?

And both the 90 and Hattons 68 have access hatches for getting to switches.

TBH if the body can be taken off easily such as with the 68 then it's not really a feature. On the AS 55 with its chains, or the Hattons 66 with the handrails it is definitely important (and something Hattons should have done if it was practical, not sure it would be on a 66)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TomScrut said:

Trailer Second (Open) Lavatory Wheelchair Motor Brake/Buffet/Bicycle

Trailer Second (Open) Lavatory Wheelchair Miniature Buffet

be aware though, the classifications are based on guess work since there currently isnt any publicly released data

Edited by WestRail642fan
  • Like 2

I've pre-ordered the 4-coach pack.

While my layout would be more suited to ther 3-coach variant, I'm not sure I like the odd look of it.

I think these will be quote popular and as it seems these days, many units sell out before they're on the shelves.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I'll hazard a guess.

Trailer Second (Open) Lavatory Wheelchair Motor Brake/Buffet/Bicycle?

It can be a trailer or a motor but not both.

6 hours ago, WestRail642fan said:

Trailer Second (Open) Lavatory Wheelchair Miniature Buffet

be aware though, the classifications are based on guess work since there currently isnt any publicly released data

I think you've got it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/07/2022 at 07:01, Sir TophamHatt said:

I've pre-ordered the 4-coach pack.

While my layout would be more suited to ther 3-coach variant, I'm not sure I like the odd look of it.

I think these will be quote popular and as it seems these days, many units sell out before they're on the shelves.

Crystal Balls are expensive, and your encouraged to pre-order.

But

Magic Eight balls are black and predict doom, hence they are cheaper.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Charlie24 said:

Anyone else think Hornby missed a perfect opportunity to release a retooled East Coast HST in East Coast Grey rather than the re-hashed ex NatEx livery?

Looking at that fictitious LNER Silver model, makes me think maybe theres room for a prototype HST livered one too, even if its wrong..

Then again I think LSL could have done that with the RCS set too.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Looking at that fictitious LNER Silver model

Whilst I think it's not a terrible idea doing that livery, I did scratch my head at missed opportunity for something that might be more desirable. Maybe some LNER power cars!

With the Flirts, Azumas, 91 sets, TPE 802 and Lumo 803 Hornby are catering for the ECML really well I think.

Although then that makes me think how long is it until somebody does a 700/707/717 as they dominate the bottom of the ECML and MML.

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Charlie24 said:

Anyone else think Hornby missed a perfect opportunity to release a retooled East Coast HST in East Coast Grey rather than the re-hashed ex NatEx livery?

Whilst numerous power cars were put into East Coast grey, only one rake of coaches received the livery. It probably made more commercial sense to to go with the NXEC rehash and bring it mainstream rather than as an exclusive- as it was. Perhaps in the future as well as the 91 and mk4s in the same livery?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, adb968008 said:

Well you can, just not at a detailed spec, not that the coaches have changed much since the 1990’s.

Can I ? Please name one retailer with a BR blue grey full fat HST in stock , and I don’t mean any of the resprays for out of service . I can’t see any 

• Like 1