The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

3 hours ago, Hroth said:

I see Horner is whinging that the FIA rule changes for 2023 have been devised to benefit Mercedes, so no change there!

F1 politics don't change, but the teams affected by the rule changes do.

When a team has an advantage, the rules are changed to reset it:

Lotus were hampered by such changes in the 70s.

Active suspension was banned after Williams nailed it.

Renault's fancy mass damper was outlawed after they dominated for 2 years.

2014 brought the introduction of hybrid engines & pegged back Red Bull's dominance. 2021 saw a change to favour high rake designs (Mercedes was low rake so they got pegged back). Now Red Bull is the lead car, the rule change is intended to peg them back.

The leading team never likes its innovations banned, but the catching teams want changes to let them catch up.

• Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, SR71 said:

They are a high grip surface. Designed to arrest the cars before they reach a wall. Great for testing (which historically is what the circuit was mostly used for) tedious for racing. It also means they can have twelvtie million different track configurations more easily.

And far fewer marshalls near the track proper.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, SR71 said:

They are a high grip surface. Designed to arrest the cars before they reach a wall. Great for testing (which historically is what the circuit was mostly used for) tedious for racing. It also means they can have twelvtie million different track configurations more easily.

I think there's also some element of them being designed to create tyre wear, so there's a disincentive for running wide. The blue parts aren't as rough as the red, so less scrubbed tyres for running wide a smaller amount. All rather a strain on the eyes though.

I've always found it a bit odd that a country with as much F1 (and motor racing in general) history as France hasn't had a good circuit as far back as I can remember (indeed hasn't even had a GP for some of that time). I never found Magny-Cours that interesting either.

Edited by Reorte
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

It wouldn’t be as difficult to watch if the colours were less garish.  No problem with the concept just the garishness of it. I think this is one to just read about later and only watch the recording IF it is written up as an exciting race.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Binotto has to find a better tactician, it’s the main weak point. Charles seems to make one big error each year and what a time to do it. Question is was it pure driver error or did the tyres suddenly go just over the edge through that combination? 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, PaulRhB said:

Binotto has to find a better tactician, it’s the main weak point. Charles seems to make one big error each year and what a time to do it. Question is was it pure driver error or did the tyres suddenly go just over the edge through that combination? 

Charles said on the radio that the throttle had stuck.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

Interestingly George Russell (no wins) is now only one point behind Carlos Sainz Jr (1 win) for 4th place in the standings.

Although Max is walking to the title, 2nd-6th are quite closely bunched. Another couple of DNFs for Charles and podiums for George could see George move past him in the Championship.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, EddieB said:

Since the finish now admitting it was his error.

I sense the old Ferrari problem that the driver can't blame the car. Rear wheels were spinning pretty hard as the car came around which seems to me to support the initial assessment of stuck throttle. He would not be the first Ferrari driver sacked/threatened with the sack after criticising the car.

• Agree 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

Bring back Clermont-Ferrand.

Or as its also apparently called Circuit de Charade , an entirely appropriate venue for Ferrari at the moment!   

43 minutes ago, EddieB said:

Just a minute, didn’t he used to advertise dog food, liberally?

For a bloodhound, if I recall correctly.....

42 minutes ago, RJS1977 said:

Deviation!

Only allowable if you don't gain a place!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, SR71 said:

He would not be the first Ferrari driver sacked/threatened with the sack after criticising the car.

And if the team didn't respond thus, the tifosi would utter death threats. Defaming Ferrari is like blasphemy.

• Agree 3

19 hours ago, EddieB said:

Since the finish now admitting it was his error.

That seemed suspicious but I've just seen a video comparing his crash with the same point on the previous lap with telemetry & he was slightly faster on entry, braked later, brake & throttle together when the rear end broke away. It supports their comments of him pushing too hard. (or was he going faster simply because the throttle had stuck??).

I thought Perez had a very poor race. After losing his place to Hamilton at the start, he never seriously threatened to re-take it. He just doesn't show enough consistency when in a front-running car (he had a poor season at McLaren, which many seem to have forgotten). It vindicates any team decisions made to favour Verstappen over Perez from this moment on this season.

Perez should never have given Russell the chance to pass, but by going for the chance, I feel Russell caused him to go off. It was a different incident to Austria but had similarities & I always believe the leading car should be entitled to the racing line, so I was expecting at least an investigation. He also looked asleep at the end of the VSC period when Russell passed him.

Hamilton had a solid race. I was expecting him to get out in front of Verstappen after his safety car pit stop. I am not a Verstappen fan but was pleased he re-took the lead because I hate place jumping from safety car pit stops. They are unfair & unnecessary.

Verstappen has driven better this year than ever before. He has barely done anything wrong & finally seems to understand that it is not always worth risking everything for the lead.  Now he has a comfortable lead, he can afford a few second places now. It is up to others to take the risks.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1