The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

Given the bans enforced on spectators bringing liquids through the security gates, can they not also prevent smoke flares?  What a complete farce on the formation lap.  I pity those who paid good money to see nothing but a wall of orange smoke.

(Less seriously, was that Dyatlov from the Chernobyl series receiving the Ferrari team trophy at the presentation?  Apt perhaps, given Sainz’s fire).

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

Disappointing to hear of the abuse from a small minority group of fans at the race, shocking stories coming out including a group of fans pulling up a woman's skirt because she was a Hamilton fan. These people have no place in society and the F1 grandstands 

• Agree 7

8 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

A reasonable guess is that the perpetrators are not Austrian….

While I have sympathy that suspicion falls on the sections that cheered Hamilton's crash, I know several whose direct experiences wouldn't absolve the "home side" either.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

10 hours ago, didcot said:

We are in the 21st century, not the 19th or 20th!

When the use of CCTV is extensive, i suspect many of these crimes will have been caught on camera and could be prosecuted, if there was the will from the promoters.

• Agree 3

We saw lots of warnings given for breaching track limits & some black & white flags shown.

We also saw at least 1 time deleted. That is meaningless during the race.

These slaps on the wrists will do nothing until someone actually gets penalised for going wide. If they did, I missed it.

• Agree 4

Track limits needs a better way of policing it. It's a continuous thing now at some tracks and even then they only choose certain corners to watch it on.

That whole area of the rulebook needs looking at. Maybe some way of using technology to police it and provide a deterrent.

Personally, make the kerbs less than a car's width wide and then part of the racetrack. A strip of gravel or grass straight after them so that if you go all wheels off the racetrack you'll have much less grip.

• Like 2
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

Track limits needs a better way of policing it. It's a continuous thing now at some tracks and even then they only choose certain corners to watch it on.

That whole area of the rulebook needs looking at. Maybe some way of using technology to police it and provide a deterrent.

Personally, make the kerbs less than a car's width wide and then part of the racetrack. A strip of gravel or grass straight after them so that if you go all wheels off the racetrack you'll have much less grip.

There is a way to prevent cars exceeding track limits.

It works well at Monaco....... 😉

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Yes and there's no racing at all, just a high speed procession.

Monaco is a procession because it's so narrow and short.

No long straights and a comically short DRS zone.

• Agree 4

I was making the comment that your solution (enclosing the track either fences as Monaco) doesn't work. They need a deterent but one that doesn't lead to broken cars if they exceed limits, fencing is not the solution as Monaco shows.

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I was making the comment that your solution (enclosing the track either fences as Monaco) doesn't work. They need a deterent but one that doesn't lead to broken cars if they exceed limits, fencing is not the solution as Monaco shows.

Jeddah has lots of concrete walls and lots of overtaking.

Monaco is actually a bad example. 

Even if the Monaco circuit was recreated in an open space without walls and run offs, it would still be a procession.

Maybe I should have put a 😉 on my OP?

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Fencing creates more of a challenge as you end up with more race suspending accidents due to the car not having lost any meaningful amount of speed before impact, Mick Schumacher can provide evidence of that in both Monaco and Jeddah. The reason Monaco doesn't work for racing is it is too narrow and tight, if you were to barrier Austria all the way round you would still have had a reasonable level of overtaking except for the Alonso Tsunoda move as Fernando would have been in the barrier rather than keeping his boot in on the grass...

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

Well that's pretty much like circuits used to be. The easy runoff means that a car running a bit wide is less likely to lose control and crash, potentially picking up other cars as it spins. There's the "rougher tarmac" idea that penalises running wide through hurting the tyres, but since that's most obvious in the eye-gouging horror that's Paul Ricard it clearly has its own problems...

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

Kitty Litter all the way. You can't "accidentally" gain an advantage in gravel...

Certainly would have prevented Sainz from using the pit exit on lap 1 to get by George ......

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Just heard on the radio that Bernie Ecclestone has been charged with Fraud by false representation, apparently part of a long running HMRC investigation into his £400,000,000 overseas assets. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/62119689

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Just heard on the radio that Bernie Ecclestone has been charged with Fraud by false representation, apparently part of a long running HMRC investigation into his £400,000,000 overseas assets. 

Why is that not a surprise, from the guy who paid to have a fraud trial disappear...

Edited by 57xx
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, Gareth Collier said:

If anyone was going to slip weights into their overalls it would be when they jump into the mechanics to celebrate immediately after they get out of the car, not a very obvious physio on their own. Ridiculous.

I might be misremembering, but I'm sure there used to be a rule to say that the drivers should have no physical contact with anyone after getting out of the car and before weighing. The reason I think that is because I recall thinking about why they kept letting the drivers do their celebration jumps over the railings.

I know of certain teams in another racing discipline who got caught swapping identically painted helmets with extra weight in at the end of the track to cheat weight tests, so that sort of cheating does go on.

Edit: here you go, a very recent reference to it:

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1005413/1/strict-f1-rule-which-prevented-anyone-helping-hamilton-out-his-car

Edited by 57xx
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

5 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

And kick up a dust so that there is NO disputing.

• Like 2