The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, SR71 said:

You joke, and it may just be because I'm tired, but why hasn't that been done? Ferrari were supposed to still be sponsored by Marlboro long after the ban. They used Marlboro red instead of rosso and Marlboro could use images of the cars in territories where advertising was still allowed.

Someone call Claire, she can buy the team back...!

New Williams sponsored by fizzy orange vitamin tablet brand Barocthmans!

If your bored take a quick google of “Mission Winnow” that sometimes adorns the Ferrari’s…

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Jonboy said:

If your bored take a quick google of “Mission Winnow” that sometimes adorns the Ferrari’s…

I’m guessing PMI is “Phillip Morris International” or something? The Mission Winnow website said “change lab” so many times I nearly vomited!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, Dutch_Master said:

Bad loser, really. Verstappen has been on the receiving end of wrong decisions from race leadership/stewards many more times then the one incident Hamilton complains about and it has cost Max his lead in points for the title. Had decision making been consistent during the season Max would have won his title earlier in the season as Lewis wouldn't have had made up lost ground in the first place.

The one good thing that's come out, as signs indicate, is that teams are no longer able to complain directly to the race leadership during the race. This reliefs a lot of stress and pressure on the part of the race leader and stewards to make decisions that favour the team making the call.

But that's just me tuppence :punish:

IMHO Verstappen and Red Bull are prime examples of bad losers but I guess I am just as biased as you are in holding that view.

I also joined RMWeb because I like railway modelling with a side interest in F1, which is why I follow and post in this thread.  I didn’t join RMWeb just to stir up anti Verstappen feeling (as you have done regarding Lewis). Verstappen is more than capable of doing that himself.

Cheers

Darius

Edited by Darius43
  • Like 6
  • Agree 6

They're all bad losers to some extent. This isn't a family game of Scrabble, the stakes are huge for them and to get anywhere near the top you've got to have a hugely competitive outlook. They're not like the rest of us.

That said, Lewis and MB making such a big fuss is both understandable and not a great look considering the domination they've enjoyed - the first time they're beaten in 8 years and they're threatening to take their ball home.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I don't quite see where the bad loser angle is coming from. Yes, there's clearly disappointment at how the final race happened. However, let's not forget that after the helmet came off Lewis congratulated Max on winning. He showed great sportsmanship there when if he was a bad loser he'd have slunk off without a word.

I think any upset is aimed directly at the FIA, RB and Max would be far more vocal at their upset here if the roles had been reversed.

All anyone can do at this point is await events as they unfold and hope the FIA carries out as thorough an investigation into what happened as we all hope they do. Lessons need to be learned and I'm not just saying that as a Lewis fan.

• Like 3
  • Agree 9

16 minutes ago, LNERandBR said:

I don't quite see where the bad loser angle is coming from. Yes, there's clearly disappointment at how the final race happened. However, let's not forget that after the helmet came off Lewis congratulated Max on winning. He showed great sportsmanship there when if he was a bad loser he'd have slunk off without a word.

I think any upset is aimed directly at the FIA, RB and Max would be far more vocal at their upset here if the roles had been reversed.

All anyone can do at this point is await events as they unfold and hope the FIA carries out as thorough an investigation into what happened as we all hope they do. Lessons need to be learned and I'm not just saying that as a Lewis fan.

There were lots of bad decisions throughout the season throughout the season, most of them at fault from the rules. It would be interesting to review each one & see how differently things would have panned out.

But the result of one incident would affect the level of aggresion at further ones.

It would be nice if the FIA held a full investigation, but they seem to be covering their own asses. It reminds me of something mentioned by Humphrey in Yes Minister "Am enquiry is not to make things clear, it is to put one in the clear".

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 1

11 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

This is shaping up nicely. The most famous and successful driver of the era - from an ethnic minority - is holding the FIA (and thus Liberty) to ransom. Clean up your act or I walk. Masterful, Lewis!

Call me old fashioned conspiracy theorist but I think you have hit the nail on the head there Oldddudders 

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Zomboid said:

That said, Lewis and MB making such a big fuss is both understandable and not a great look considering the domination they've enjoyed - the first time they're beaten in 8 years and they're threatening to take their ball home.

12 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

This is shaping up nicely. The most famous and successful driver of the era - from an ethnic minority - is holding the FIA (and thus Liberty) to ransom. Clean up your act or I walk. Masterful, Lewis!

As Lewis hasn't actually said anything I believe the two above posts are just as bad as the fluff we normally see from the newspapers. It's interesting that by saying nothing people seem to see the need to put words into his mouth!

People have to fill a void, don't they!

• Agree 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

14 hours ago, LNERandBR said:

I agree, and as an ardent Lewis Fan, had the Race been in reverse and Lewis won by the same bad decision making I would be backing Max.

Its the FIA that both Lewis and Toto are at war with as Lewis, His Dad and Toto all congratulated Max, his Dad and Moaner Horner, I cant see Max or his Dad doing that.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hobby said:

As Lewis hasn't actually said anything I believe the two above posts are just as bad as the fluff we normally see from the newspapers. It's interesting that by saying nothing people seem to see the need to put words into his mouth!

People have to fill a void, don't they!

I was responding to the BBC Sport report. Toto seems to have said Lewis and Merc are awaiting the FIA response. Perhaps you know he didn’t say that, and the BBC made it up?

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

Just on Sky F1 sports news Lewis and Mercedes are waiting for the promised investigative review outcome.  They want Michael Masi to be sacked and a statement of the rules will be followed and not changed as was done.

I don't hold much hope out for any positive decision for Mercedes from the committee as it has taken 6 weeks plus to even start the probe on Monday 10th Jan promising to finish in 3 weeks time.  Seems like they are not very keen to probe anything.

I can see Lewis not bothering to take part in this years F1 and for that matter Mercedes might also pull out of the whole F1 circus if the rules can't be administered as written and I would agree with them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

9 minutes ago, Barnaby said:

Just on Sky F1 sports news Lewis and Mercedes are waiting for the promised investigative review outcome.  They want Michael Masi to be sacked and a statement of the rules will be followed and not changed as was done.

I don't hold much hope out for any positive decision for Mercedes from the committee as it has taken 6 weeks plus to even start the probe on Monday 10th Jan promising to finish in 3 weeks time.  Seems like they are not very keen to probe anything.

I can see Lewis not bothering to take part in this years F1 and for that matter Mercedes might also pull out of the whole F1 circus if the rules can't be administered as written and I would agree with them.

Exactly, this was my thoughts last Friday;

Edit

Posted Friday at 22:16

I am quite sure Toto knows what Lewis is going to do, and is planning accordingly. 

It still wouldn't surprise me to read that Lewis is retiring and that Toto will NOT be attending any GP's this year and give notice that the FIA / Masi has brought the Sport into disrepute and serve notice for MERCEDES f1.

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

The controversy over the results of the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix has such long legs that they are just going to run and run.

Everyone has their favourite target on whom to pin the blame upon. I have mine, that is Nicholas Latifi. If he was so determined to stuff his car into the barrier near the end of the race, he should have done it three or four laps earlier, thus ensuring that Mercedes would have also decided to pit for new tires under the safety car.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

I suspect they will be in an interesting position as the various TV agreements around the world come to an end. Liberty want to increase online engagement etc, but will the likes of Sky be prepared to bid as highly, and will Liberty’s updated model be as lucrative.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Andrew P said:

That article is based on conjecture, which Mclaren apparently deny.

1 hour ago, Andrew P said:

Liberty are chasing the dollar, arguably to the cost F1, in attempting to get bigger, ill informed, audience interested.

The issue of getting F1 accepted in the USA has been ongoing for years. It is notable that, as mentioned on a BBC4 programme recently, the Americans have largely distanced themselves from the rest of the world in terms of sport and have generally invented their own. Even their premium motor sport is significantly different.

• Agree 3