The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

• RMweb Gold

I don't think LH is going to make a decision or a public announcement until he sees what the FIA has in mind regarding any changes to the rules, and/or their interpretation and enforcement.

If they kick that into the long grass (as I fear they will), he'll be gone. 

Personally, I think that's an entirely reasonable position for him to take, though it may make things "interesting" if we are kept waiting until close to the beginning of the coming season.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I increasingly hope Lewis walks. While some will cry "Spoilt child, bad loser", the outcry against the stupid FIA decision-making machine would, together with the ace competitor no longer being there in 2022, make life very uncomfortable for all sorts of people. Sponsors  would be questioning value as the series lost image.

Lewis is box-office in a way Max isn't at this stage. However good George proves to be, the season would have lost its edge.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Interesting comments about the consequences of penalising Hamilton for his none attendance at the prizegiving.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

I don't think LH is going to make a decision or a public announcement until he sees what the FIA has in mind regarding any changes to the rules, and/or their interpretation and enforcement.

If they kick that into the long grass (as I fear they will), he'll be gone. 

Personally, I think that's an entirely reasonable position for him to take, though it may make things "interesting" if we are kept waiting until close to the beginning of the coming season.

John

2 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I increasingly hope Lewis walks. While some will cry "Spoilt child, bad loser", the outcry against the stupid FIA decision-making machine would, together with the ace competitor no longer being there in 2022, make life very uncomfortable for all sorts of people. Sponsors  would be questioning value as the series lost image.

Lewis is box-office in a way Max isn't at this stage. However good George proves to be, the season would have lost its edge.

Could it be a night before Testing that Merc gets a Signature?:D

• Like 1

Labour Lord says = F1 "tarnished" by 'rigged for theatre' Abu Dhabi title showdown.

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/74297/f1-quot-tarnished-quot-by-rigged-for-theatre-abu-dhabi-title-showdown/?fbclid=IwAR3TBpgQqAqrePO2u5dzRMrwxXLhjXVRQbFIdDu_3Nsfv8hE-EJ1ixPEfLw

Edited by Andrew P
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Andrew P said:

Could it be a night before Testing that Merc gets a Signature?:D

Certainly the longer Lewis holds out before telling the world what he is gonna do, is leaving the FIA - and its collaborators at the commercial rights holder - out to dry. And the idea that Lewis is going to give two monkeys' twizzles about being 'fined' by an FIA led by a former second-rate rally-driver  - from a country that has no human rights policy - is just laughable. 

I am quite sure Toto knows what Lewis is going to do, and is planning accordingly. 

• Like 7
  • Agree 5

22 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Certainly the longer Lewis holds out before telling the world what he is gonna do, is leaving the FIA - and its collaborators at the commercial rights holder - out to dry. And the idea that Lewis is going to give two monkeys' twizzles about being 'fined' by an FIA led by a former second-rate rally-driver  - from a country that has no human rights policy - is just laughable. 

I am quite sure Toto knows what Lewis is going to do, and is planning accordingly. 

It still wouldn't surprise me to read that Lewis is retiring and that Toto will NOT be attending any GP's this year and give notice that the FIA / Masi has brought the Sport into disrepute and serve notice for MERCEDES f1.

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

It still wouldn't surprise me to read that Lewis is retiring and that Toto will NOT be attending any GP's this year and give notice that the FIA / Masi has brought the Sport into disrepute and serve notice for MERCEDES f1.

I sincerely hope not.

• Agree 3

3 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I thought he'd already signed for 2022?

Yes, he has, but I'm sure Toto and Merc would not block him changing his mind, Nico was signed for 2017, but retired with no bad blood between him and Merc.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I thought he'd already signed for 2022?

Lewis has brought Mercedes an awful lot of reputation and money in the hybrid era. They have won the manufacturer's trophy every year, including 2021. I do not see them being awkward with him, when they were as stunned as everyone else by the reverse of fortune wrought by the FIA in the last laps of the last race of last season. 

If Lewis walks, Stuttgart, never mind Brixworth, will give him an enormous send-off. 

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

Mercedes and Lewis are making a point and will be back to prove it in competition. If the FIA penalise Lewis for making the point they just validate it further and Mercedes will step in to pay any fine for him to show solidarity. FIA will back down on their posturing if they have any sense left. If you penalise MB when you’re trying to draw in Audi & Porsche you may as well just shoot yourself in the foot ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Agree 6

34 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

If FIA have any sense they will just let the matter die.

Totally agree Phil, PLUS a public apology would be nice, but we all know that won't happen.

MV's Title will always have the word controversial attached to it.:D

• Agree 1