The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Only electric ones?

I'm sure some Heath Robinson style loopholery could be cooked up.....

Off the top of my head, how about giant wheat-bag style things?

Man or Girl (for equal opportunities) in the back room with a push back on a frame spinning the wheels before fitting them. 🤣

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Only electric ones?

I'm sure some Heath Robinson style loopholery could be cooked up.....

Off the top of my head, how about giant wheat-bag style things?

I look forward to Tilley tyre warmers. I could get going on a prototype using one of these;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284966484833?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=WhUk7RHxTEe&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=uL-JGcPYSsK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

But SWIMBO has previously banned me from getting one. 😕

Yes I know I should have sort forgiveness but I didn't realise I was asking for permission until it was too late.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Andrew P said:

THIS COULD MAKE LIFE INTERESTING. 😁

F1: electric tyre warmers to be banned from 2024

https://scuderiafans.com/f1-electric-tyre-warmers-to-be-banned-from-2024/?fbclid=IwAR1_Ump7q9qY5Db3Alc28DjyXLOoJp7UvCIONq6lrVPTAKmlt-ClvMjLAq8

Waits for the steam heat boiler in the back of the garage.......

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, SR71 said:

I look forward to Tilley tyre warmers. I could get going on a prototype using one of these;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284966484833?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=WhUk7RHxTEe&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=uL-JGcPYSsK&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

But SWIMBO has previously banned me from getting one. 😕

Yes I know I should have sort forgiveness but I didn't realise I was asking for permission until it was too late.

You'd have to be careful not to iron flat spots onto the rubber...

I was looking at the Tilly logo on the label, and thought it reminded me of the Martian creatures in Quatermass and the Pit.  It was only after seeing the close up in image 3, that I realised it was an owl...

• Funny 3

Though strictly speaking all we know is he won't be racing for Williams next year.

Of course given past performances it's unlikely any of the other F1 teams will want to take him on. But of course there is a whole world of motor racing outside F1 (including FE which generally tends to be a dumping ground for former bottom of the table F1 drivers).

And there's always the possibility of some unforeseen circumstance which may lead to him being temporarily recalled to F1 to cover another driver.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Latifi - has to make the components last all year.

De Vries had to make them last one race?

I don't know if that could be a difference but does anything De Vries used/abused come out of Albon's allocation?

In Nick's position I know I'd have turned everything up to 11?

Edited by SR71
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, SR71 said:

I don't know if that could be a difference but does anything De Vries used/abused come out of Albon's allocation?

I wonder if his Pit did as well to get rid of Latifi?

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, didcot said:

Given Latifi was trounced by Nyk de Vries in a car he had only just stepped into at the last GP, the writing must have been firmly on the wall!

mene mene tekel upharsin

Definitely.....

Edited by Hroth
Thought this bit of Belshazzar's Feast would be a fun addition...
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, SR71 said:

They must be allocated as a ‘car’ not as a driver otherwise teams would be fabricating reasons to have a temp driver to get a new engine / gearbox / chassis for a race without penalty.

clearly would have been an issue for Albon if NdF had done a Latifi and dumped it in the barriers 3 laps from the end.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 minute ago, RJS1977 said:

Yes - a few years ago when Fernando went off to do the Indy 500 and Jenson stood in for him at Monaco, Jenson was hobbled by grid penalties that had been accrued as a result of Fernando having already used his allocation of replacement parts.

didn't Jenson threaten to wee in Fernando's seat when he spoke to Fernando during the race weekend?

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium

Look at it like this...

Imagine the race is actually run over two days. The first 20 laps on Saturday and the rest on Sunday. That all it really is. Except you get some points if you finish well on Saturday. 

Or, if you want, imagine that the race was red flagged and restarted on the next day.

In any case its certainly not worth losing sleep over one way or another. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 23/09/2022 at 10:05, didcot said:

On 23/09/2022 at 12:28, RJS1977 said:

Though strictly speaking all we know is he won't be racing for Williams next year.

I wonder if Williams will still have Sofina as one of the headline sponsors next year?

(The Owner/chairman/CEO of Sofina is Michael Latifi)

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

If we are going to have sprint races can we also go back to the sports routes and maybe have some 3hr+ races.

The cars are all so homogeneous now that it could pose a real challenge. A car for sprints may not do longer races so well so where do you bias the design under the cost cap? Not so much a concern for the top three teams but could have an impact on the mid field battle particularly if a team opts for the profile lift a good finish gives them knowing they can't compete for a championship.

Particularly interesting if you pick a track with little run offs so it's a test of the drivers concentration and endurance. 

The sprints have made no difference to the results maybe this would.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

I’d rather see all the F1 drivers put in a standard car, BTCC touring car type no alterations allowed all identical apart from tyre choice, and race that on Saturday. No long practice just 5 lap familiarisation and fastest lap from that gives grid position each weekend and drive! 
Show their talents without the car variations 😉 Each car manufacturer could take turns to supply a bog standard set of cars with drawing lots to pick the car from park ferme. 

Well it’s different and addresses the car vs driver endless discussion. 

• Like 4