The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

It's been mentioned a few time in Sky coverage that the reason for more concrete run offs over the gravel trap is down to the track also being used for bike racing. They don't like tumbling through the gravel when the bike digs in.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, didcot said:

It's been mentioned a few time in Sky coverage that the reason for more concrete run offs over the gravel trap is down to the track also being used for bike racing. They don't like tumbling through the gravel when the bike digs in.

Thought it was the other way around, aren't they adding gravel traps (back?) to Spa as part of the alterations to bring bike racing back there?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, newbryford said:

Waits for something like this: 

I'm sure Mr Bean will get to that point soon, I've noticed that when he's not winning, the complaints about the car, tyres etc, soon come tumbling out.

It'll be wonderful when he gets timings deleted for exceeding track limits, though for that to happen, the officials will have to grow a set of b@lls...

• Agree 4

18 minutes ago, Hroth said:

I'm sure Mr Bean will get to that point soon, I've noticed that when he's not winning, the complaints about the car, tyres etc, soon come tumbling out.

It'll be wonderful when he gets timings deleted for exceeding track limits, though for that to happen, the officials will have to grow a set of b@lls...

Of course he will complain. When things have gone well for you, it is natural to get frustrated when they don't.

His fans amuse me by claiming he is the 'best ever' & has 'never had the best car' & is ahead in 2022 because 'he is the best driver without the best car'.

The RB was noticeably gripper right from pre-season last year & remained fastest until after halfway. The Mercedes only pulled ahead when they took an engine penalty to use the short-life high-tune one later on. Honda could have done the same.

There are plenty of 1 time champions & not all of them won it with the help of a bad decision on the last lap either. He has a long way to go to be one of the best. Will he get there? We will have the wait & see to find out.

He looks on top of things this season, but so did Vettel in his 4 seasons at Red Bull. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

This year's cars seem to have reverted to levels of unreliability not seen for several seasons.

As for Verstappen, my observation is that a lot of car/performance issues have been self-generated - failing to "bed in" tyres, driving over kerbs - then blaming everyone else!

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, EddieB said:

This year's cars seem to have reverted to levels of unreliability not seen for several seasons.

As for Verstappen, my observation is that a lot of car/performance issues have been self-generated - failing to "bed in" tyres, driving over kerbs - then blaming everyone else!

You mean that he's not quite as good a driver as he thinks he is?

:-)

• Like 5
  • Funny 1

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

You mean that he's not quite as good a driver as he thinks he is?

:-)

There seem to be a lot of bias against Verstappen on here.

I must admit to not liking him very much either. He has always been fast & in the last couple of years has managed to get on top of his consistency.

I don't blame him for over-aggressive driving. I think he is over-aggressive but he will push as hard as he is allowed. He has been helped by weak officials & the protection of his team. That is not his fault.

It would be helpful for his team to sometimes tell him he pushed too hard & paid the penalty for doing so. They could always add that they would rather him try too hard than not hard enough.

His team also seem to blow smoke up his ass & some of the public believe the hype.

• Like 5
  • Agree 2

I may have said this before, but my take on Max is that he is an excellent and fast driver, but is not such a good racer. I think he’s lacking in racecraft compared to such as Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel etc. Verstappen still seems prone to the same sort of mentality that is soon knocked out of many younger drivers - he will throw the car into a corner alongside another car and expect the other driver to jump out of his way in order to avoid an accident. I do think he’s improved a lot this year compared to last, although it would be interesting to see how he behaves if/when he finds himself fighting for a win with Lewis once more.

Edited by Obi-Jiff Kenobi
Spelling - hard to spell correctly when half the screen is covered with bleedin’ adverts!
  • Agree 7

41 minutes ago, Obi-Jiff Kenobi said:

I may have said this before, but my take on Max is that he is an excellent and fast driver, but is not such a good racer. I think he’s lacking in racecraft compared to such as Hamilton, Alonso, Vettel etc. Verstappen still seems prone to the same sort of mentality that is soon knocked out of many younger drivers - he will throw the car into a corner alongside another car and expect the other driver to jump out of his way in order to avoid an accident. I do think he’s improved a lot this year compared to last, although it would be interesting to see how he behaves if/when he finds himself fighting for a win with Lewis once more.

You mean patience - the ability to accept that you can't win every corner at every race & don't actually need to either.

He does seem to have improved a lot this season. He has a bit of breathing space in the championship right now, but he didn't early on.

If Leclerc can close the gap, I'll be interested to see how he gets on. He has not been in a position of pressure in F1 yet. He impressed at (Alfa?) before signing for Ferrari where it would have been acceptable for him to have been Vettel's No2. Ferrari soon started to throw all their effort at the 2022 car but we are only 1/2 through the season so far.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, SR71 said:

I came to post that Masi has opted to leave the be FIA but I see I've been beaten to it

😁

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/62131946

BBC article confirming. Have to say while I'm no great fan after last year the inconsistences we are seeing this year suggests he was trying to fill whatever brief he was given. While we no longer hear the race director there still seems to be a lack of conviction in the application of the rules.

It seems to me somewhere within the FIA/Liberty structure there are people or persons with too much power and conflicting interests. We see this as inconsistency as those applying the rules try to satisfy the demands made of them.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I don't blame him for over-aggressive driving.

I'm afraid that I do, someone has described him as a bully, and that's just the way I see him. I won't deny that he's a fast driver but his over aggressive driving removes any chance of him ever being regarded as the best, regardless of the results he gets. Considering his age I feel that his bullying mentality should have gone by now if it was ever going to, as it hasn't...

Several other great drivers have had their reputation ruined by over aggressive (bullying) driving, Schumacher being the best known, in Max's case it's not helped by a team leader that fawns all over him and never admits that he is in the wrong, and by poor and inconsistent stewarding.

• Like 1
  • Agree 10

29 minutes ago, Hobby said:

I'm afraid that I do, someone has described him as a bully, and that's just the way I see him. I won't deny that he's a fast driver but his over aggressive driving removes any chance of him ever being regarded as the best, regardless of the results he gets. Considering his age I feel that his bullying mentality should have gone by now if it was ever going to, as it hasn't...

Several other great drivers have had their reputation ruined by over aggressive (bullying) driving, Schumacher being the best known, in Max's case it's not helped by a team leader that fawns all over him and never admits that he is in the wrong, and by poor and inconsistent stewarding.

‘Twas ever thus. The same could be said to apply to other controversial drivers, such as Schumacher, Senna, Vettel. If they had relied only on their talent, and not pushed far beyond the bounds of acceptable behaviour, their reputations and legacies would be far greater than they are.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

I see him as a bully too, but your last sentence has shown why I think it is the fault of others.

For several years now, he has been building up a reputation of somebody others dare not go near for fear of crashing. Instead of being punished for this, he has been applauded for his 'exciting aggression'. This sent constant reminders that it is good to be like this.

The trouble is that he has been getting away with things for far too long. Instead of eliminating bad habits earlier in his career, they have been allowed to continue.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

The trouble is that he has been getting away with things for far too long. Instead of eliminating bad habits earlier in his career, they have been allowed to continue.

Whilst I accept that ( it's also what I said!) he still must take a lot of the blame, there is such a thing as taking personal responsibility for his actions and he'll have seen enough in the press to realise what others think of his driving, together with the odd time he's been penalised. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

26 minutes ago, Hobby said:

Whilst I accept that ( it's also what I said!) he still must take a lot of the blame, there is such a thing as taking personal responsibility for his actions and he'll have seen enough in the press to realise what others think of his driving, together with the odd time he's been penalised. 

His dangerous driving has repeatedly earned him a pat on the back, race wins & good contracts. That sends him a message that his racing is acceptable & good.

Why should he care what the press writes? According to some of his fans, they only write that because they are full of **** & heavily biased against him. I am sure he believes that too, because people around him always tell him how great he is.

Only penalties handed out by the officials will sort him out. They need to be consistent & persistent too.

• Agree 6

Having seen a compilation of Maxxident's trademark overtakes where his usual dive up the inside results in oversteering off the track completel on the exit, there need to be proper penalties for such moves instead of at best handing the place back.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, 298 said:

Having seen a compilation of Maxxident's trademark overtakes where his usual dive up the inside results in oversteering off the track completel on the exit, there need to be proper penalties for such moves instead of at best handing the place back.

Well, George got a 5 second last race ....

• Agree 3