The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

And his Team Mate thinks the opposite.:laugh:

Masi slated for 'ridiculous lack of consistency' following Abu Dhabi fiasco

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/75522/masi-slated-for-ridiculous-lack-of-consistency-following-abu-dhabi-fiasco/?fbclid=IwAR3ddQ0wjWtS2cVgvTtGqO8Jgpg3fk_kyOoohWFj6lubf7xSlxlFyzusrpg

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

Was Seb at a different Championship to the rest of F1? :angry:

Vettel defends under-fire Masi for doing "a very, very good job"

https://www.gpfans.com/en/f1-news/75509/vettel-defends-under-fire-masi-for-doing-a-very-very-good-job/?fbclid=IwAR1LNT_c7fSborFt1Dfwc6KP4mZXReecmibOEFK5s6e55YZVhM-OgYc9ycY

His hair was too long, he couldn't see much....

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

10 hours ago, MarkC said:

MV deciding to use "1" on his car this year speaks volumes - you would have thought that, given the way the title was <decided>, he'd have the grace to continue to race under his usual number.

Like him or loathe him, LH continuing to just use his "44", even after multiple championship wins, shows him to be more respectful of his competitors than MV...

It is the world champion's privilege to use No 1, so I don't see why he should suffer any criticism by choosing to use it.

I am less critical than most of Verstappen, Horner or anyone else in RB. It  really isn't their fault that they are allowed to act like they do.

Everyone in the sport pushes rules as far as they believe they will get away with & this is not unique to F1. Teams have got away with too much for too long. It is the fault of the officials for not defining limits & sticking by them. They are pretty good with technical regs but very loose with sporting regs.

The safety car radio calls from Wolff, Horner & Wheatley are a good example: A good referee or RD would have responded with something like "I've made my decision & it is my decision thank you", not clearly being influenced by Horner & Wheatley (because he did change his decision) followed by the sarcastic "it's called racing" response Wolff got from Masi.

The RD also needs to have a working set of rules. F1's sporting regs need to be tightened. Rules in most sports are updated frequently by a board of the sport's top officials. Surely Masi should have been on such a board ensuring the rules are workable?

None of the dodgy decisions in 2021 were new. They were just made to look worse because it was a closer season than we have seen for a while.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

It is the world champion's privilege to use No 1, so I don't see why he should suffer any criticism by choosing to use it.

I am less critical than most of Verstappen, Horner or anyone else in RB. It  really isn't their fault that they are allowed to act like they do.

Everyone in the sport pushes rules as far as they believe they will get away with & this is not unique to F1. Teams have got away with too much for too long. It is the fault of the officials for not defining limits & sticking by them. They are pretty good with technical regs but very loose with sporting regs.

The safety car radio calls from Wolff, Horner & Wheatley are a good example: A good referee or RD would have responded with something like "I've made my decision & it is my decision thank you", not clearly being influenced by Horner & Wheatley (because he did change his decision) followed by the sarcastic "it's called racing" response Wolff got from Masi.

The RD also needs to have a working set of rules. F1's sporting regs need to be tightened. Rules in most sports are updated frequently by a board of the sport's top officials. Surely Masi should have been on such a board ensuring the rules are workable?

None of the dodgy decisions in 2021 were new. They were just made to look worse because it was a closer season than we have seen for a while.

But RB/Horner/MV exploited the weaknesses of the race (mis)management and refereeing to their own advantage. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, MarkC said:

MV deciding to use "1" on his car this year speaks volumes - you would have thought that, given the way the title was <decided>, he'd have the grace to continue to race under his usual number.

Like him or loathe him, LH continuing to just use his "44", even after multiple championship wins, shows him to be more respectful of his competitors than MV...

I hope LH if he wins the championship next year takes up the #1 just to give RB/Horner/MV the two finger salute.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

I hope LH if he wins the championship next year takes up the #1 just to give RB/Horner/MV the two finger salute.

If Lewis wins this year he will retire, knowing he has a unique record, and has redressed the Masi-inspired balance. It'll be rather like when Ali became boxing champion again, which was not then a common event in that sport, either. We also hope Lewis will have better back-up than in recent years, at least, or maybe even a new rival. Max will still be a lone driver, so the number 1 is sort of significant there, too. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

3 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

But RB/Horner/MV exploited the weaknesses of the race (mis)management and refereeing to their own advantage. 

They did exploit weaknesses to their own advantage, but they were allowed to do it though.

Referees (or in this case Race Director) needs to establish their authority. As soon as they change a decision after being harassed by a team, they lose this.

It was clear Masi had lost his authority after he changed his mind on track limits during the Bahrain race.

• Agree 6

29 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

If Lewis wins this year he will retire, knowing he has a unique record, and has redressed the Masi-inspired balance. It'll be rather like when Ali became boxing champion again, which was not then a common event in that sport, either. We also hope Lewis will have better back-up than in recent years, at least, or maybe even a new rival. Max will still be a lone driver, so the number 1 is sort of significant there, too. 

Bottas was viewed as very promising when he left Williams for Mercedes. On his day, he can compete very well, but he doesn't have great weekends often enough.

Now it seems many consider him to be a second rate driver.

Russell has not yet been in a position in F1 where he has no excuses. Finishing in the points was a bonus. Even in his 1 drive for Mercedes, he was not expected to do so well so the pressure was off.

Now he is in the Merc, finishing on the podium will be an expectation. It is a different kind of pressure. How will he cope with it?

• Agree 4

16 hours ago, MarkC said:

Given the amount of needle that Max has been given, understandable that he would enjoy giving some blowback.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

If he's going to drive the thing, he might as well turn up to assist the publicity machine.  Hope HE'S had a haircut!

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Hroth said:

If he's going to drive the thing, he might as well turn up to assist the publicity machine.  Hope HE'S had a haircut!

A shaved head like his Dad would be good, and cooler in the helmet.

• Agree 1