The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Formula 1 2022

didcot

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, ianwales said:

The Daily Express is reporting that both the new Mercedes and Red bull cars have failed the FIA mandatory crash tests.

Ian

Makes a change from extreme weather predictions and what a wonderful chap the PM is is.

Never let the truth get in the way of a catchy headline…

Cheers

Darius

• Like 1
  • Agree 9

6 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

;) But they wanted the spectacle of racing to the flag. 

They certainly got a spectacle but whether it was a fair race is a matter of opinion ;) 

On fuel they simply need to specify enough fuel for up to three extra laps plus the sample then everyone simply ups the calculations and ‘extra time’ is covered and they allow everyone a pit stop for the sprint to the line. One lap with knackered tyres was a joke, three laps on even tyres would have still allowed Max a decent fair chance as the gap was closed up. 
They can’t undo the mess they made now but they can find a solution and get the teams to agree then it’s all within the rules. 

They already have a rule stating there must be a certain amount of fuel left at the end of the race. They could increase this then adjust it is the race needs to be extended because of a safety car.

Old v new tyres was rotten. It could easily be resolved.

Didn't the pit lane used to be closed when the SC was deployed? I am sure that was the case then it changed after the SC was deployed when some cars needed to pit for fuel, so they ran out, causing more trackside hazards. We don't have fuel stops now, so I see no reason why pit stops & therefore tyre changes should be allowed during VSC/SC/red flag conditions.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

The simple rule would be that if you dive in for a tyre change then where you come out is where you stay, if that means you have to overtake cars which you were in front of before then so be it, that's a risk you take. I doubt Max would have won had the cars between him and Lewis had been allowed to stay there.

I'd agree with an earlier post that if they do want a sprint finish then the only fair way is to allow ALL drivers to have a tyre change and start them in the order they were at the start of the safety car. Trouble is that it would have taken them much longer to sort that out especially as every lap under the SC counts as a lap in the race...

Looking back with hindsight a red flag would have been the fairest finish to that race, either with a restart for a couple of laps or just finished all together. But that was never going to happen simply because of Liberty's needs, and, I expect, their pressure on the Race Steward, though no-one will ever admit that.

• Agree 8

1 hour ago, Hobby said:

The simple rule would be that if you dive in for a tyre change then where you come out is where you stay, if that means you have to overtake cars which you were in front of before then so be it, that's a risk you take. I doubt Max would have won had the cars between him and Lewis had been allowed to stay there.

How many lapped cars did pass Max while he pitted? It is a question that's been bothering

me. He shouldn't have been gifted those positions back.

The Nim.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

21 hours ago, rocor said:

If drivers were given back the time that they lost under the safety car at the end of the race (especially if multiple safety car incidents were involved) it could be long after everyone had completed the race before the final results were announced, which would probably have no semblance to how the cars  finished on the track.

For clarity, I wasn't my intention to suggest anything like that.  I was actually responding to Andrew P's post here, to point out how restarts after red flags had been been handled in the past, and arguably could be again.

I think part of the mess has arisen from the supposed "let them race" philosophy.  The way I'd see it, if the track isn't safe to race on (which is presumably why the safety car is out) then tooling around behind the safety car just wastes laps that could otherwise have been spent actually racing if they red-flagged the race, and declared the winner based on aggregate times between the two parts of the race (as The Lurker noted happened at the 1994 Japanese GP - which was actually after safety cars had been officially introduced into F1).

However, given how frequently the safety car seems to be deployed these days, it would seem unreasonably disruptive to stop the race every time instead (in fact I believe that's why F1 eventually decided to adopt the safety car idea).  What I would suggest is that, for a safety car incident within a certain number of laps of the end of the race (say ~10% of the race distance?), to avoid both finishing the race under the safety car and the sort of shenanigans that went on at Abu Dhabi, the race is red-flagged.  Everyone goes in to the pits and can change tyres and top up fuel if they want to, then when the track is safe again there's a formation lap, a start from the grid (no Spa-like nonsense), and the drivers race to the end with the result declared on the basis of aggregate times as in the old days.  If there's yet another incident after the restart then, to avoid any further mucking about (and, dare I say it, disrupting TV schedules) the race is declared over at the end of the preceding lap.

Edited by ejstubbs
  • Like 5
  • Agree 1

23 hours ago, Nimbus said:

How many lapped cars did pass Max while he pitted? It is a question that's been bothering

me. He shouldn't have been gifted those positions back.

The Nim.

I think there were about 3.

I don't like the practise of letting lapped cars unlap themselves. It is claimed that they can cause a hazard so it is better to get them out of the way. It is part of racing. Leave them where they are.

The safety car takes away any gap the leader may have worked hard for. That is unfair enough, but I can accept that is is good to bunch up the field to provide marshals some safety. Removing lapped cars makes it even more unfair against the leader.

Closing the pit lane during SC periods would help massively. They were closed at one point but were only re-opened again in the last re-fuelling era after some cars ran out of fuel during SC laps. Tyre stops are not as urgent so there is no need to allow tyre changes in VSC. SC or red flag periods. If teams really need to do it, hit them with a 30 second penalty.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

41 minutes ago, Jonboy said:

Frankly I would implement a 10 second stationary period for all pit stops and stop all the undercut/over cut nonsense completely, regardless of safety cars…

Undercut/overcut is less to do with the speed of the stop & more to do with its timing:

A car on fresh hard tyres can easily be 1-2 seconds quicker than one which has does 15 on softs, so pitting first from a close second will sometimes gain track position. Forcing the car to remain in its pit box for 10 seconds will not affect on this.

Edited by Pete the Elaner
  • Like 4
  • Agree 3

The speed of the stop is far more vital than you seem to think, there's been many occasions where a bad change, only by a second or so, has made a big difference, bringing the driver out behind other cars or even behind the driver they were trying to undercut. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Andrew P said:

The team will now be known as the Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant Formula One Team...

Bit of a mouthfull

"And Lance Stroll in the Aston Martin Aramco Cognizant is lapped by Hamilton..."

Something like that, anyhow.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

That Hamilton has preserved a dignified silence since the end of the 2021 season is laudable.  What I'd like to hear for this season is that Verstappen (and Horner) have opted FOR radio silence...

• Like 1
  • Agree 9
  • Funny 1